Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 6:56:39 PM EDT
i was wondering if an absolute cowitness was possible through an aimpoint comp 2 sight?  i did a site search and all i've seen is lower 1/3 cowitness.  i want to get a larue mount and an ARMS #40A flip up rear site, these would be mounted directly to a flattop receiver.  any help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a LaRue cantilever on mine and I believe that all of their mounts are gonna put you in the lower third...  I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:48:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got a CompC in the standard ring (that it comes with) mounted on an ARMS # 38 Swan Sleeve.  The #38 has the #40 sight built into it.  I get absolute cowitness with that setup.

At 50 yards I keep the irons set for a 6 o'clock hold (on a bullseye) and the dot is dead-on in the center.

Bill D

Photos:

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:24:23 AM EDT
[#3]
You need a low-mount like a LaRue M2 RAS II Mount

Mount it directly on your flattop, and the sights should be centered in your field of view.

In my opinion, it will be very uncomfortable to shoot, because it's so low. and unless you have a folding front sight, it'll be in your way too. I'd suggest LaRue's cantilever mount. It gets the iron sites out of your way, allows for a better cheek-weld, & gives excellent lower 1/3-1/4 FOV cowitnessing. (that's all you really need).
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#4]
To add:
I don't find my setup the least bit uncomfortable to shoot.  A low mount direct to the flattop probably would be.  The ARMS raises the low ring higher than it would be if mounted directly on the rail.  Hope the added pics help.

Here is approximately what you would see looking at this setup with ONE eye and your nose against the charging handle (depending on your nose length).  This view is through the rear aperture on the #40.  It looks better in real life with both eyes open.  I can totally ignore the front sight even being there with both eyes open.  With the BUIS down I don't even notice the front sight.

Bill D

"One of the "vast majority" of TWO."
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:13:02 AM EDT
[#5]
A fellow co-worker has got a project.  He has an A2 upper 16" Dissipator style.  He's wanting to go with the a railed forearm and attached to it will be a TangoDown vertical grip.  Atop the rail he wants to go with an Aimpoint.  What mount/spacer combonation would be needed to make this possible for an exact co-witness with the A2 upper and the standard front sight base?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:04:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey guys, thanks for the info.  Thanks for posting those pics, it makes things a lot easier to understand when you see them.  Any other advice/opinions would still be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:25:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I used the Aimpoint QRP(?) mount directly on the flattop with an ARMs 40 buis.  I get the red dot floating directly atop the standard carbine front sight post.  Works for me, for now.  I gather that the QRP mount isn't as desireable as other mounts for the Aimpoint?  Will be at ADCO next week and may ask them how to configure this setup in a better way.

dvo
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top