Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/22/2003 7:50:53 PM EDT
I'm wanting to get a pistol caliber upper for my new Bushmaster. What all calibers are available?

I'd love a 380, but a fellow on the rifle/upper forum said they don't make one.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 7/22/2003 10:06:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Try contacting Kurt at [url]http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/page/page/8932.htm[/url] as he is open to making custom uppers in just about any caliber.  If he can't make it, i don't think it can be made.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 9:59:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Current uppers available....

9mm (Colt and Oly pattern)
40 Smith & Wesson (Colt custom, oly avail)
357 Sig (custom in Oly or colt via Kurts Kustom)
45 ACP (Oly avail w/ Colt as custom, Kurts Kustom has them)
10 mm (Oly)
50 AE (by Tromix)
440 Corbon (by Tromix)
44 Mag (by Tromix, no longer avail)

Some others that are really "Custom" that I have heard of.... 7.62x25

Why would you want 380?  You might as well just get a 9mm Luger upper.....  I should ask, as I want one in 38 Super or 9x23 [:D]

There are probably some more uppers that I've missed....
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 12:32:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't forget 458 Socom, .499 LW and .50 Beowulf

Unless you are only referring to pistol calibers...if so...my bad.
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies fellows. I'll check out the link, and see if that might be an option.

The reason for a 380 is that I have a 380 pistol, and piles of 380 ammo. I figure it'd be a neat combo with the 380 and the AR-15. It'd be very mild, and easy to shoot behind my house without bothering my neighbor too. She's about 84, and although she says shooting doesn't bother her, I still feel better trying to keep the noise down as much as I can.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 5:02:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies fellows. I'll check out the link, and see if that might be an option.

The reason for a 380 is that I have a 380 pistol, and piles of 380 ammo. I figure it'd be a neat combo with the 380 and the AR-15. It'd be very mild, and easy to shoot behind my house without bothering my neighbor too. She's about 84, and although she says shooting doesn't bother her, I still feel better trying to keep the noise down as much as I can.
View Quote

Well, looking at the rim of the 380 Auto, the book lists it as being 0.374" while the 9mm Luger is 0.394"... and then it is shorter then the 9mm Luger.  It is *possible* that a standard 9mm bolt may be able to hold and extract the 380 round.  So a barrel is the onlything needed.  But, I"m not sure how a shorter round will function in a 9mm mag...
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, looking at the rim of the 380 Auto, the book lists it as being 0.374" while the 9mm Luger is 0.394"... and then it is shorter then the 9mm Luger.  It is *possible* that a standard 9mm bolt may be able to hold and extract the 380 round.  So a barrel is the onlything needed.  But, I"m not sure how a shorter round will function in a 9mm mag...
View Quote

They did make Uzi's and Mac's in 380, perhaps one of the mag's would adapt.

Most pistol caliber AR's are pretty queit, so I wouldn't worry about too much noice.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 8:00:10 PM EDT
[#7]
The 16" barreled 9mm's are fairly quiet.  Get a 9mm upper and buy subsonic ammo if sonic crack is the noise you're worried about.
Link Posted: 7/27/2003 6:12:18 PM EDT
[#8]
You fellows have just about convinced me to go with the 9mm upper. AS long as they're fairly quiet compared to the 223, I'd be satisfied. I talked to a local county officer that I grew up with, and he carries one in 9mm when they have to do an entry on a drug house or such.

He says his is very accurate, and the noise is a lot less than a 223. His is also select fire, so I bet it's a blast to play with! LOL!

What kind of velocities do you guys get with the 9mm in you AR-15s?
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top