Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 6/28/2003 1:37:45 AM EDT
My RRA Varminter is overdue and could still be weeks away. I'm going nucken futs with black gun fever and the summer is sliding by. A local dealer has a Colt M4 and a Bushmaster 16" barreled A3, Both have crome chambers and barrels. I was going to build a carbine later after I got the varminter but I think I'll buy one of the above today and build a full sized A3 later. Question is which of the above?????? Dam black rifle fever...you Gentlemen have infected me with a rather expensive desease and my Blue Cross does not cover it...I checked.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 1:50:29 AM EDT
Go with the Colt. It will be the most trouble free and keep it's value better than any other rifle. Check the Equiptment exchange and look at the prices of uppers, lowers and all of the parts people are selling that are Colts in comparison to th Bushmaster. The Colts are barely more expensive and worth much more if you sell it. When you hear people compare the rifles they compare them to the Colts. You will however pay conciderable more for a M4 model because they are the hot item.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 4:27:03 AM EDT
Originally Posted By whywork40: Go with the Colt. It will be the most trouble free and keep it's value better than any other rifle. Check the Equiptment exchange and look at the prices of uppers, lowers and all of the parts people are selling that are Colts in comparison to th Bushmaster. The Colts are barely more expensive and worth much more if you sell it. When you hear people compare the rifles they compare them to the Colts. You will however pay conciderable more for a M4 model because they are the hot item.
View Quote
Most trouble free in what respect? Please qualify this cause I own both and never had a problem with either. But as standard course if I want parts I go Bushmaster ALL the time cause I know they are reliable from experience.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 4:36:27 AM EDT
Get the colt,buy an AR from an anti gun company that has the worst customer service and will act like they are doing you a favor,and good luck with parts seeig as how their lower receiver components are of a larger diameter and not standard,its good for a collector piece but I wouldnt fight with it I have a pre and post bushmaster carbines both work flawless over 30,000 rounds through the preban in the last 10 years no problems and I havent changed a part yet except for the handgaurds and a newer telescoping stock,they are in my opinion more reliable than the colt for less money.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:01:30 AM EDT
Go with the Bushmaster. As mentioned above, the Colts have larger pins that will not work with other rifles. I don't know about their customer service personally but I do know about Bushmasters. If your not satisfied they will do their best to make you happy. They exhanged a mini-y comp braked barrel for an ak heavy barrel no questions asked. When I talked to customer service, the tech guy was sincere and understanding and was interested in what I had to say about their product and wanted to know what could be done to rectify the problem. Best in the business.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:02:39 AM EDT
I have recent manufacture Colt and Bushy 16 inchers. Both are fine firearms and essentially flawless. The Colt is undeniably superior in minor details which add up to give the overall impression of a "better" firearm. Despite non mil spec fire control size components(as if that makes any difference in a civilian rifle)which are easily obtainable, Colt remains the standard to which ARs are compared. They hold their value best, in no small part to the historical value of the name moreso than for any functional/practical reason. Pick up a copy of Small Arms of the World and the only name mentioned in reference to the M16/AR15 is Colt and its licensees. For the relatively small difference in cost go with Colt.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:42:41 AM EDT
My buddy who is a LEO Traded his COLT M4 for a Bushmaster! He Told me that everyone in his department considers the Bushmaster Better Quality and service! Back in the day Colt was #1 PRE BAN But Now they seem to have BAD QC and Bad Customer service?? I had a Colt AR15 back in the early 80'S and sold because I Didnt like the accuracy! and it did Hic Up every once in awhile. Since then I wanted to buy a AR15 a few years ago. I was going to buy a Colt Shorty Post ban but every gun shop I went to said that they would sell me a COLT but that the BUSHMASTERS are Better and have the BEST Customer service. After talking to everyone for 2 weeks I went ahead and bought a BUSHMASTER A1 Shorty! I have shot it over a 1000rds and it has never ever Hic Up and is very accurate!!!! I was sold! I went on to buy a A1 Bushy 20HBAR complete upper to switch out! This upper can shoot ragged holes at 100 yards prone!! I just had to buy a stripped lower to have 2 complete Bushmaster Rifles! I have had great service also! They even went above and beyond!
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 8:49:50 AM EDT
[b]I'm an ArmaLite guy and have no horse in this race.[/b] Between your two stated choices - Colt and Bushmaster - I would easily recommend the Bushmaster. Even after you discount all that idiocy about B/M being Mil-Spec you're still left with a standard AR and that's not the case with Colt.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 9:51:30 AM EDT
Preban mfg'd Colts are very good rifles, but postbans...? BM makes good rifles & undoubtedly has better customer svc. I can't comment on BM pre-'s, since I went w/ Colt for mine. If I were hunting for a "posty", I'd go BM. I have no regrets regarding my Colt prebans. Their quality is exceptional.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 10:05:45 AM EDT
Originally Posted By KODoc: For the relatively small difference in cost go with Colt.
View Quote
This isnt so where i live. I have found bushmaster m4 with a3 upper for $820.00, but the lowest i can find the colt m4 with a3 upper is $960.00. Thats $140.00 plus tax more then the bushmaster. Also, a few of the colts i have seen in town have multi-colored uppers. Big patches of a lighter black. On top of that, there was a well put together OLY for $789.95. Guess what riffle i will probably go with. The bushmaster.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 10:23:45 AM EDT
Colt. Hands Down.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 10:43:07 AM EDT
I think it's obvious from the replies you are getting that the Bushy fans will vote for Bushy and the Colt fans will vote for Colt. The best thing to do is look at each one carefully, inside and out. I don't mean a detail strip of the bolt or anything, but open the receivers and take a look inside as well as out. Go with whichever one looks the best and has the best quality, fit , and finish overall. Both companies can put out a great product, and both can put out an xtremely poor one. The same can be said of all the companies that produce any firearm. Take a look at both since both are right there. Somepeople aren't lucky enough to have the option of looking at one, much less two or more AR's of different manufacture. Get the one that seems to be the better one. Sometimes that will be Colt, sometimes Bushmaster, and sometimes even Olympic. It has more to do with the individual rifle and the experience of the individual assembling the rifle than it has to do with the company and logo on the receiver.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:04:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/28/2003 11:05:46 AM EDT by Danno_man]
i got infected with the disease and bought a RRA 24" varmint and a Colt. [img]http://glocktalk.com/attachment.php?s=38a695e51d01fb2b5098c260762b918a&postid=1686484[/img]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:04:50 AM EDT
Gentlemen: I bought the Colt. I wanted an A3 with a 16" crome barrel and chamber. I had the BM, a Colt and an Armalite setting on the counter. The Colt had the best fit and finish. The only thing I don't care for is the butt ugly muzzle brake. The Colt was also the lightest of the three. The BM was loose with a gap between the upper and lower. The Armalite was tight but not finished as nicely as the Colt. Of these three samples the BM came in last. Sorry but there it is. The Armalite was just under $800.00 the BM just under $900.00 and the Colt was just under 1K. I aint rich...had the differance not been there I would have walked out with a less expensive rifle. I will shoot it in the morning. BTW the store is Impact Guns at their new location. Nice place...I like having to walk around a M2 fifty cal, full auto on a tripod to get to the rifle counter. (the M2 is 17K and change).
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:26:55 AM EDT
Danno_Man: I have the same RRA on order,(for over six weeks now) How do you like it? I ordered it after looking a other RRA models that were in stock. How long did it take to get yours? My Colt is the M4 with the pined stock. I will be shooting it in the morning.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 4:23:52 PM EDT
I prefer Colt. But I will admit that Colt screws non leo/military users somewhat. First they stopped chromelining barrels to reduce cost. Then it was called an accuracy improvment and they raised the retail cost of the weapon. They use plastic recoil buffers now instead of alluminum like they do in their leo and military weapons. Their are a few other small differences. Overall I would still take a Colt and just upgrade the parts as needed. Bushy is not bad however and they make good rifles. PAT
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 4:53:42 AM EDT
it took me 15 minutes to get mine. :) the AR dealer at the gun show had 3 - 4 of them and i bought the last one right under 3 guys thinking of buying it. paid $858 OTD. he also had 2-3 20" varmints. this one has the Hogue forend too. another dealer at the had 1-2 24" but was asking around $950 for it. going to hopefully take them out today.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 5:30:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/29/2003 5:31:48 AM EDT by ardy]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Colt. Hands Down. ________________________________________ Isaiah 16:11 "Wherefore my bowels shall sound like an harp..." Agreed, simple enough.
Top Top