Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2002 1:51:42 PM EDT
I putting a firsh on my bushmaster and have run into some problems. I cant seem to remove original barrel nut. I have one of the dpms wrenches but that nut wont move worth a darn.

What should I do? I have tried it even with two people, one using the wrench and the other holding the rifle in place.

PLEASE HELP ME.

oz
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 2:05:22 PM EDT
[#1]
anyone?
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 3:31:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I am also interested.  I have a bushmaster manufactured in the last  2 or 3 years.  I can not get the front sight assembly off or the gas tube out.  It has a black material binding it.  I am not sure what this material is.  I have all the necessary tools, including the barrel wrench and upper blocks.  I think that some of the bushmaster uppers are put together with "permanent" sealers.  I actually ruined two separate pin punches trying to get this front sight off (good thing they were both Craftsman).
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Funny.. I also am installing a FIRSH, but I can't get my taper pins outta the front sight base.

Frustrated amateur gunsmiths of the world unite!
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 5:07:03 PM EDT
[#4]
the front sight taper pins were a complete pain to get out. i slamed my thumb quite a couple of times. What I ended up doing was going to a local gunsmith and having him take it off for me.

What the install directions DONT say is that you will most likely need an armor's action block which holds the top in place in a vice grip and then its a snap to take off.

Anyone know how to get the SUPER TINY taper pin out of the front sight holding the gas tube?

Oz
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
the front sight taper pins were a complete pain to get out. i slamed my thumb quite a couple of times. What I ended up doing was going to a local gunsmith and having him take it off for me.

What the install directions DONT say is that you will most likely need an armor's action block which holds the top in place in a vice grip and then its a snap to take off.

Anyone know how to get the SUPER TINY taper pin out of the front sight holding the gas tube?

Oz

The gas tube pin should be a roll pin, and it should pop right out with the proper sized punch and maybe a couple of gentle taps with a hammer.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 5:28:46 PM EDT
[#6]
left to right or visa versa?

oz
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I've about killed the finish on my JT kit's FSB, going so far as to use liquid nitrogen, so I may wind up taking it to a smith.

Anyhow, you're certain you're pressing into the action while turning, right?

IIRC, removal of the gas tube from the FSB isn't necessary for installation, but can be done with a 5/64 punch. Manual -23 specifies that it's a spring pin.
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 5:38:37 PM EDT
[#8]
its not needed unless your replacing the front sight.

so does it go from left to right like the other taper pins?

oz
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 5:46:41 PM EDT
[#9]
FYI-> Left to right.

Got it out. Now how do you pull the gas tube out? It seems like its in there kinda secure even with that pin out.

oz
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#10]
The gas tube roll pin is not a taper pin, i.e., it's straight.  So you can tap it out from either side.  It's best to use punches specifically designed for roll pins; they have a little nub on the end of the punch which keeps them centered.  For the taper pins, it's best to find some punches with a concave end, but I have no idea where to get these.  Anybody know???

Also, you should definitely be using an armorer's block to hold your upper receiver in a vise when trying to remove the barrel nut.  Otherwise, you're running the risk of really screwing up your rifle even if you manage to get enough leverage to loosen the barrel nut.  And after that, you have to dislodge the barrel (extension) from the upper, which can be hell without the upper being secured in a vise (with an armorer's block).

Quoted:
so does it go from left to right like the other taper pins?
oz

Link Posted: 11/19/2002 5:56:35 PM EDT
[#11]
nm. all it needed was some hard lovin.

post some pics in a couple of minutes.

oz
Link Posted: 12/1/2002 11:41:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
nm. all it needed was some hard lovin.

post some pics in a couple of minutes.
View Quote

Great!  I am looking forward to seeing them.

Link Posted: 12/2/2002 12:04:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I would post a picture but for some retarded reason, the digital camera, the compactflash card and the computer havent been getting along together lately.

oz
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 6:15:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Camera, CF Card and Computer like each other now so here it is:

BUIS View
[img]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/Ozmodiar/Img_0002.jpg[/img]

Elcan View
[img]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/Ozmodiar/Img_0004.jpg[/img]

Oz
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 8:08:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice looking gun!  You will have a great time with it!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top