Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2004 12:09:41 PM EST
I am now authorized to carry a rifle in my patrol car and went with a bushmaster M4A3.My question is what optics should I use on it? I work nights and would probabally be best off with something thats self illuminated. one of my biggest problems is that I had to purchase the rifle myself so I'm short on cash for optics right now.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:27:03 PM EST
Get an Aimpoint or Trijicon night sights if money is really tight.
For patrol it's better to have a good weapon light and irons if nothing else.

Stay safe,
Ray
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:45:00 PM EST
learn to shoot with irons, then get aimpoint and flashlight...

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:45:49 PM EST
If money is tight, I would go EOTech. There is no mount to buy. A 511 should be under $300
Check the EE for best prices.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 1:54:20 PM EST

User Info IM User Email User Reply Quote
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

learn to shoot with irons, then get aimpoint and flashlight...

um........not to be rude or anything but ....look at my screne name....5 yrs active duty USMC 4 years expert with M16A2
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:17:14 AM EST
If you are short on cash for optics, your cheapest short term solution might be a Surefire G2 and mount for it - this would give you a 65 lumen light that will allow you to use the standard irons quite nicely at most common ranges for LE.

I find this to be more effective than the Trijicon iron sights.

If you can swing it, a battery-powered illuminated sight like the Aimpoint M2/ML2 or the EOtech is the way to go for low or variable light.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 4:30:57 AM EST
I was sort of thinking the same thing, learn to use his irons... look at the screen name haha.

Anyway, I am currently in Iraq and do about half our stuff at night. I use an ACOG Ta11. The full size ACOGs are great but expensive. Your next option would be an ACOG compact since they are like $300 cheaper and your final stop is the EOTech. I would stay away from the Aimpoint. Yeh it is lightyears better than the iron sights for close quick shots but at night can vary in intensity in light too much and cover up targets or wash out if you dont ajust. I had a really negative experience qualifying on a snowy range with one. The EOtech is so much better. You can go wrong with anything ACOG BAC because the thing has fiber optics and trijicon that lights up an etching. I have used it here for over 6 months and love mine.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 6:23:57 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/27/2004 6:41:56 AM EST by hepcat85]

Originally Posted By strick909:
If money is tight, I would go EOTech. There is no mount to buy. A 511 should be under $300
Check the EE for best prices.

+1 !!!! I sold my ML2 and never looked back. IMHO, EoTech is king.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:09:17 AM EST

um........not to be rude or anything but ....look at my screne name....5 yrs active duty USMC 4 years expert with M16A2

Don't sweat it... prolly Army boys

Anyway, since funds are tight, I would suggest a light first, (I like the Laser Devices "Operator" lights, around $100) and then when funds allow, add an EOTech or Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:26:27 AM EST

Originally Posted By Onslaught:
Anyway, since funds are tight, I would suggest a light first, (I like the Laser Devices "Operator" lights, around $100) and then when funds allow, add an EOTech or Aimpoint.

+1

Weapon Mounted Light (contact BrightFlashlights on this forum for some inexpensive SureFire options - we're talking a light for under $50).

Then get the EOTech or Aimpoint when funds allow.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 7:58:55 AM EST
I dunno. I really havnt had a huge need in a while for an expensive weapon light. You can usually get an inexpensive mount for a department issue stinger that will not have the light put out by the recoil of a 556.

I just feel that iron sights are not that easy to use in the dark. By the time you by trijicons you could have invested in some decent optics.

That is just me. I have a M6 here that I barely use cuz it makes me a target in more circumstances than it helps. However I have nods here he probably doesnt. Most of the time I dont use those either in the city so it really isnt necassary. Get a cheap light and decent optics.
Top Top