Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/16/2003 10:47:30 AM EDT
I just purchased a Sks and Know nothing about them.
It has    MOD. SKSS 7.62x39mm C8A, VA BH VA
         Made in China by Norinco
written on the barrel.
It has a wooden stock and a Bayonet on it.
Does anybody know what this is worth. I would rate it's condition at about 98.5 percent.
It has a seven digit serial # with a space in between the second and third number.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 10:53:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Ask here--->[url]http://www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/forum.html?b=4&f=83[/url]
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 10:57:50 AM EDT
[#2]
good rifle, worth about 150 dollars.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 11:01:48 AM EDT
[#3]
IIRC NO Chineese SKS is listed as a relic - and any with Bayonets are illegal.  Remove that bayonet ASAP.  Contact the BATF's Tech Branch for more info.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 11:03:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Why would bayonetes be illegal?
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 11:05:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 11:12:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh, the import ban I got it.  Not enough US parts.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 12:27:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Oh, the import ban I got it.  Not enough US parts.
View Quote

More of an "evil feature" problem.

The Norincos have detachable magazines, so you can't have a bayonet.

Most other SKSes have fixed magazines, so the bayonets are okay, even here in California.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

No is a section 922(r) problem as Troy pointed out.  Imported rifle are covered under a different (and more strict) set of rules then domestically produced rifles.

While a DOMESTIC produced SKS could have a bayonet (and a flash hider).  However there is no domestic SKS production, and nobody makes enough US parts for the rifle to be considered 'domestic'.

Every wonder why people buy those 'US Parts' for their FALs and AKs - when surplus military parts are cheaper?  Is so the rifles will be exempt from 922(r) and only subject to the '94 ban - which means they can use imported magazines AND have a pistol grip.

The only exception to the 'bayonet' rule are those rifles listed as a 'Curio/Relic'.  The only SKS's I know covered under there are the Russian ones and the Yugo ones (recently imported).  Ironically if you have a C&R FFL you can buy a bayonet equiped Yugo SKS from an importer - but you could not buy a neutered Chinees SKS on your FFL.  Yet they are pretty much the same rifle - strange but true.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 1:00:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

No is a section 922(r) problem as Troy pointed out.  Imported rifle are covered under a different (and more strict) set of rules then domestically produced rifles.

While a DOMESTIC produced SKS could have a bayonet (and a flash hider).  However there is no domestic SKS production, and nobody makes enough US parts for the rifle to be considered 'domestic'.
View Quote

Ah, sorry, I keep getting confused about the status of my Yugo SKS 59/66, which is considered a C&R by the BATF, but not by the California DoJ.  Since it's a C&R under Federal law, you can buy them all day long with a bayonet, even here in California.  And California allows that only because it has a fixed magazine.

Sometimes it's hard for me to remember that a 20-year-old rifle can still be a C&R.

Hmm, any minute now this non-AR-15 thread should get locked...
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#10]
[b]Welcome Hawkeye, to your 1st lock as Moderator!! What was that, like 10 min?[/b]

Silas, Post non-AR topics in the ARMORY or General boards. We all know you're new (welcome!) so don't take offense.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top