Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2005 4:05:35 PM EDT
A couple of times I have seen this .223 ammo at Academy (small box, 20rds. picture of a guy in a cowboy hat shooting a gun sitting down on the box).  It sells for about $2.50/20rds.  I've seen it in 7.62x39 too.  I busted a box open the other day, looks like Wolf, steel cases, red primer and bullet sealer.  Anyone buy this crap and shoot it?  Is it any good?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#1]
That's the monarch ammo, which is the name Academy sells Barnaul Ammunition under.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Not crap at all.  It shoots good, it doesn't foul my rifle, and it's cheap enough that I can enjoy plenty of shooting.

By the way, the cases are not laquered the same way as Wolf's were.  The case coating is very thin, and never gummed up anything in my rifle.  The primer sealer is no worse than Winchester's (civilian type).  I found it to be both reliable and accurate.  Why not enjoy it for blasting?
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:32:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's some informative links on Barnaul.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=259361

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=261361

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=259007

Personally, I don't feed it to my AR anymore.  I just run Wolf polymer from Cabella's and WWB value packs from Wallyworld when I need cheap plinking ammo.  Both gave more slightly more accuracy but YMMV.

Now for my AK?  Well I've got about 800rd of monarch stashed in the closet

EPOCH
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top