Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/10/2004 5:47:57 PM EDT
I've been enjoying my stock EagleArms AR15-A2 for months, now. 2000 rounds through it and all is well. I'm so hooked on this rifle that I'm already looking to build another, with a bull barrel and floated handguards. Thing is, though, that I want to go with a walnut stick and grip (found a set at Brownells) and I want the whole of the rest of the rifle to be silver (not chrome-flashy, just silver anodized).

I've been poking around for parts like this, but it seems like everywhere I go I see basic black. To qualify that, Brownell's does offer a silver lower from SOCOM, and I have to admit that I've seen silver lowers at a couple sites, but darned if I could find a silver upper.

Seems like ARs are a bit like model Ts -- "You can get one in any color you like, as long as its black." I say that with tongue firmly in cheek, btw, as I've seen photos here of red and blue AR rifles.

So, a couple questions:

1) Can anyone recommend vendors that have some color variety? I'm really interested in getting high-quality parts, too, so hopefully color choice won't compromise that goal.

2) Has anyone ever seen a free-floating handguard for an AR rifle that either is made of wood, or sports some wood on it? I know it may strike some purists as a dumbass question, but I like wood furniture.

Many thanks, as always.
-- Randy
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Check dpms they have both. Also model one sales for the wood parts.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Good suggestions.

I've been to DPMS already, and their site is pretty tough to search. I did see the silver stripped lo-pro upper, there, but it has no port cover or forward assist. Getting a matching bolt carrier assembly is also pretty important, but I didn't see anything like that, there... at least not with a silver charging handle, too. It may be that I'll just have to call 'em.

As for the woodie free float tube at model 1, it's only in the CAR length, and I'm looking for something that will look right on a 20 or 24in barrel. Seems like a tough animal to find.

More suggestions are welcome. Keep 'em coming!

Thanks,
-- Randy
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 7:26:53 PM EDT
[#3]
In the pic post thread there is a pair of ARs that are all silver. I think he sprayed them.
I been looking also. I have a dpms stainless lower and the black upper doesn't match to well.
There are billet uppers and lowers in the brownells catalog. They are not cheap.
Good luck
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 7:55:01 AM EDT
[#4]
if you like socoms lower then why not get the upper too
www.socommfg.com/index.html
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#5]
CavArms produces colored furnature...

Colt produced a 'Marine Edition' AR once, they called the finish 'ColtGuard', and it looked like something off the set of Men In Black....

ARs are black because M16s are black, so finding 'other' colors is not common...
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top