Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2004 6:54:12 PM EDT
... The three of my four M4 upper barrels' threading is timed out past (270° or farther) from what I would expect to be "normal" torque.

... How do you address that?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:56:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Pussy
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:02:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you want some old school peel washers?

I have a bunch.

I'm real old school and have three prong flash hiders with split washers on my builds.

It's bad ju-ju in the accuracy department if you exceed 15 foot pounds. I like to keep it closer to 5 foot pounds.

The guys shooting highpower use hand tight flash hiders with locktite.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:10:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Do you want some old school peel washers?

I have a bunch.

I'm real old school and have three prong flash hiders with split washers on my builds.

It's bad ju-ju in the accuracy department if you exceed 15 foot pounds. I like to keep it closer to 5 foot pounds.

The guys shooting highpower use hand tight flash hiders with locktite.

... Yeah bro! I'll take you up on that offer. If you're going to Shawn's shindig, just bring them along. I'll buy 4 of them.

... See Ryan! I knew there were reasons not to just crank them on with brute force
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:12:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Peel washers are more classy anyway.  They require some actual effort.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 7:26:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe a crush washer gives you at least 360 degrees of rotation past hand tight before you have to worry about it being maxed out.  Once you get the crush washer going, the torque required to rotate the FH further doesn't increase any noticeable amount, at least not to me.  That said, peel washer do look cooler if that sort of thing matters to you.  If time and low blood pressure matter more, use the crush washer.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll be at the 9/14 party. Remind me to bring them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a crush washer once that was out of time, even after much torque was applied.
Sand or file down one side of the washer until the timing looks closer, then torque down.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 2:31:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I just rubbed the smaller end of the washer on a wetstone until a bit of material had been removed... fit great after that.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top