Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2004 4:41:27 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/27/2004 4:42:26 PM EST by Winston_Wolf]
... Got four to do. After getting the roll pin started it's a real MF trying to assemble the catch loaded against the spring by myself. I really hate to ask my date tomorrow for help, I'm thinking she's expecting dinner .

... Any tips you can offer me?

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:58:54 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/27/2004 5:05:25 PM EST by mongo001]
I don't know if this will help you but here is how I do it.

I start the roll pin on the top (or bottom, it really doesn't matter). Tap it in so that it makes installation of the latch pretty tight. Sometimes if you get it just right, you can slide the latch in and it will catch an edge of the roll pin and line itself up for you. If not, then you have to put the spring and latch in and hold it with one hand. Then you have to flip it over and line up the hole in the latch and handle. Then you have to try really hard to keep the holes lined while you flip it over and attempt to tap the roll pin in. This process usually takes me a couple of tries.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:16:50 PM EST
... Thanks mongo001! Before I read your post I went down to the local watering hole and came up with another answer that works good.

... After pin is started, clamp handle in vise. Using a 0.05 diameter drill, locate hole in catch and tap in with drift pin displacing the drill.

... Sometimes I feel stoopid until I get an Amber Bock or two under the belt!
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:58:39 AM EST
I found a slick way to do this. You'll need 2 punches of the same size.

First, get a pair of pliers or vice grips and compress one end of the roll pin so you cab basically start, or alsmost, start the roll pin in the cavity by hand - but do not insert yet.

Next, assemble the spring and latch and hold those in place with one of the punches inserted from CH side "A" (just as a reference) - push this punch in so it is flush with the opposite side of the CH (side "B"). Flip over the CH and start the roll pin. Drive in the roll pin and it will actually drive out the punch that was holding the assembly together.

Done.

CMOS
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:22:14 PM EST
Whatever you do, don't drink and try changing latches with just one rollpin.

Your neighbors will call the cops when you start screaming in frustration.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:53:24 PM EST

Originally Posted By CMOS:
I found a slick way to do this. You'll need 2 punches of the same size.

First, get a pair of pliers or vice grips and compress one end of the roll pin so you cab basically start, or alsmost, start the roll pin in the cavity by hand - but do not insert yet.

Next, assemble the spring and latch and hold those in place with one of the punches inserted from CH side "A" (just as a reference) - push this punch in so it is flush with the opposite side of the CH (side "B"). Flip over the CH and start the roll pin. Drive in the roll pin and it will actually drive out the punch that was holding the assembly together.

Done.

CMOS

I use a similar method but I use only one punch and a clean faces ball peen. The anodizing is tough enough beleive it or not to stand up to the hammer. Then you use the pin to push just below flush...

Cheers
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:56:42 PM EST
Top Top