Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/4/2006 2:24:04 PM EDT
Let's see your 3-Gun and competition AR15's!!!!!

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#1]
WTF, no one shoots 3 Gun?  IPSC rifle? etc?

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to shoot 3 gun I plan to shoot it again soon, but my rifle isnt finished so sorry no pics
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm presently building a dedicated 3 gun AR.  

It'll be a Bushy lower, JARD adjustable 3lb trigger, Magpul MIAD grip, ACE rifle stock, Armalite upper rec., RRA bolt assy, JP bolt carrier, Noveske 18" SPR 20" Bushy fluted 1x9 twist barrel, Larue 12.0 handguard JP tube, JP adjustable gas block, Bennie Cooley brake, Larue 30mm M4/SPR scope mount and a Leupold Vari-X III 1.5-5x 30mm scope illuminated with the German No. 4 reticle.

I used an Armalite upper receiver, and a 20" fluted Bushy barrel.  Noveske was going to be a 3 month wait.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I use my LMT M4, Glock 35, and FN pump shotgun.  Nothing competition fancy, or super suped up, just personal defense type stuff.  I personally use the 3-gun matches as defense training.

+ A Million

That's why I got into IPSC, and that's why I plan on getting my feet wet with 3 gun sometime this year as well.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:12:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Bushy Superlight upper, CMT lower, Cav Arms furniture.

Ops
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:27:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:48:28 AM EDT
[#9]
austinwft...
who made that upper???looks cool!!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:29:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's a crappy picture and the scope on it is an old one that I now use on my M-4 at sniper competitions when I'm working as a spotter.  I use a TA11 for competition with a JPoint mounted on top and a TA01NSN for classes with a JPoint (again) mounted on top.  

[About 10 minutes later]

And, when I figure how to post a better picture I will do so.  

[Like 4 days later]

Alright.  Found a way to post better pics.  Threw in my IPSC Open pistol...just 'cause.

Here's a breakdown of parts, etc.:

Lower:  Colt Match Target
Trigger Group:  JP Enterprises
Grip:  Panther (modified by me w/ texture and remolded it)
Stock:  Standard
Upper:  Colt
Barrel:  20" SS 1:8 Oly Arms (cut down to 18" overall with compensator)
Gas system:  Rifle length
Handguard:  JP Enterprises w/ tac rail add-on (for back-up iron sights or flashlight)
Gas Block:  JP Enterprises Adjustable Gas System
Compensator:  JP Enterprises - Bennie Cooley Comp
Bolt/Carrier:  DPMS Chrome Bolt Carrier (pictured)
                      JP Enterprises LMOS most of the time though
Scope:  Sightron 2.5-7x32mmSG w/ Double Diamond reticle (pictured)
             ACOG TA-11 w/ donut reticle (competition)*
             ACOG TA-01NSN (training/teaching)*
             * Both have JPoint's mounted on top

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic
249th MP Detachment (EACF)
Camp Humphreys, ROK

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:26:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Guess Zak's on vacation............
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:37:23 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

ACOG TA-11 w/ donut reticle (competition)*

* Both have JPoint's mounted on top

Richard,

I'd be interested in seeing a pic of this.  I've been thinging about mounting a J-Point on a TA31 for work.  I was a little confused on JP's site as to if they made a mount for the non-NSN ACOGs.

Thanks

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:09:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Nothing fancy.  
Eagle Arms (pre-Armalite merger) lower with Bushy upper.  
JP trigger, hammer, tank brake, and gas block.

It now wears a Leupold VX-II 1.5-4x

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 4:22:26 PM EDT
[#14]
uscbigdawg1:

I, too, am interested in doing same and confused by Jpoint website with no "contact us" info. Get the adaptor (JPA-TANSN) and the lower strap (JPA-TAS)? Or is it something else entirely?

I have an ACOG TA11 D and am looking for correct mount to piggy back a JPoint.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:20:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:49:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:04:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Hi guys,

No problemo.  What's confusing to some on this is that the rear peep sight that's on the NSN is removed and replaced by the JPoint mount w/ the "blinders" on it.  It's a great system for duty purposes as you have zero need for iron sights ever again.  In normal shooting and shooting out at distance, I use the ACOG crosshairs.  If it's anything CQB or under 75 yards, it'll be taken with the JPoint.  

If there's any other questions, feel free to IM/E-mail me or you can e-mail John Paul at mailto:[email protected].

Hope that helped.

Camp Humphreys, ROK
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#18]
 Gotm4,
I've been all over the site looking for information on the JARD TRIGGER you use. Can you give some words on your experience with these triggers? PIC's would be cool also, if available. I'm in a major trust crunch waiting for delivery and installation by my highly skilled AR smith. He states these are all He would use. Has the adjustabillity been an issue in competition ? Not much information available anywhere so far. Night Time BIG(stateside)CAT HUNTER NEEDS reliability. The function sounds almost to good to be true. But if it works like He says !!! His words are pretty trustworthy,But it would be great to hear a second user-friendly opinion.

The first snow has already hit and I need to get trackin/callin & blam-blam'n

Great Pic's on the three gun thread,
                                                             thanks
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Here's are the two AR's I compete with.  

The top one is an 18" 1/9, barrel, JP FF tube, McCormick trigger, Weaver 1-3x scope, MSTN QC comp.  The lower AR has a 20" Colt pencil barrel 1/12, Accuracy Speaks FF tube, JP trigger, Aimpoint ML3 with 2 MOA dot, JP Cooley comp.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#20]

+ Harris bipod when needed

++ Optics change coming due to a S&B Short Dot...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:30:20 AM EDT
[#21]
BTT
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#22]
My 3 gun carbine.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:35:40 AM EDT
[#23]
I use the same one for 3-gun that I use for most everything else:

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:38:03 AM EDT
[#24]
I see alot of Benny Cooley comps on these rifles.  What's the word on these?

I got one in a purchase/trade and was going to build a three gun type rifle and was wondering if this is the comp to go with.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I got one in a purchase/trade and was going to build a three gun type rifle and was wondering if this is the comp to go with.

Thanks.

They work really well, I use mine with an adjustable gas block and and an Enidine buffer and the thing shoots almost as light as a 10/22.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:41:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

They work really well, I use mine with an adjustable gas block and and an Enidine buffer and the thing shoots almost as light as a 10/22.

Any increase in loudness over a standard FH?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:43:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

WAY louder!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:30:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

STUPID LOUD but there are louder.

RO's on rifle stages hate comps, I should put that on a hat.
They are killer unless you double up on ear pro. even then they teach you to NOT stand to the side of the shooter.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:34:50 PM EDT
[#29]
It's louder and the standard FH's don't do crap for reducing muzzle flip.  Plus, notice that the comps that are used in competition don't have ports, slots, grooves, etc. in the bottom.  The point is that you don't want "crap" blowing up in your sight picture when you're prone.  Plus, from my experience FH's don't really hide that much to begin with.  Other good comps are the Jerry Miculek by DPMS/Clark Custom and the comp that Bennie Hill at Triangle Shooting Sports makes.  After that, and if you're shooting Open division only, the JP Recoil Eliminator is THE BEST!

When it comes down to a 3-Gun rifle, if you wanna win, strip all the extra crap off and get the rifle light and fast.  There's no need for all the 'tactical' doo-dads in competition.  Now, before I get flamed on, if you use 3-Gun/Rifle matches as a practice/training platform then by all means, go crazy.  My real world M-4 has more crap on it at times then I think I need.  Then I get my mission briefing and realize that some of it does need to stay on (the vertical foregrip is almost never necessary though....but it's a personal preference).  

So, for 3-Gun competition, look at the rifles of those that win and use that as a basis to start.  From there, evaluate what you want to treat the matches.  Competition/Training Opportunity.  I like to see it as both.  Just some food for thought.

Camp Humphreys, ROK

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:22:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Here is my competition uppers...

Usually I use my SPRish upper in competions. It has 18" barrel(barrel blank is made in Finland by SAKO) with rifle lenght gas system, Samson FF-tube, PRI gas block and of course JP tank brake!

second one is 16" middy, with accuracy speaks rifle lenght FF-tube and brake is made by finish gunsmith.
Same bushmaster lower for both uppers(G27 pistol grip, VLTOR clubfoot stock and JP´s trigger group with speed hammer)

I use mainly Trijicon TA11 , but if competition is close range I chance to Aimpoint CompML2

Those JP´s FF-tubes look awesome.. maybe I have to byu one, and chance it to my SPR upper. How different are JP´s new FF-tubes than old ones?

http://www.hunt101.com/img/311805.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/img/354517.JPG
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:11:17 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
My 3 gun carbine.
i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/redguardrm/a4787c3a.jpg

Hey man, I dig your setup.  Is that a 14.5" barrel or 16" barrel?  And, What's that box on top of your rail system?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:30:23 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My 3 gun carbine.

Hey man, I dig your setup.  Is that a 14.5" barrel or 16" barrel?  And, What's that box on top of your rail system?

It looks like it could be a PEQ-4 IR laser....
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:40:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My 3 gun carbine.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
This is 3 gun rifle.  It has one of my Recon profile barrels in it.  LaRue bipod adapter so I can loose the bipod if I want to.  It also has a second optic, an Eotech pre-zeroed at 25 yards on a LaRue Mount for the short courses.

globaltactical.com/_img.upload/Rock%20Recon%20001%20copy.jpg

Denny

Denny,

I'm no expert at this having only run 2 matches so far, but I was under the impression that there is no optic swapping. You run the same rifle (Same Config) in both long and short range. Which is why all the low power variables are becoming the stardard, or running duel optics which throws you into the open class.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm thinkin' he meant that if the match itself had shorter stages, versus swapping out sights within the match.  If the intent was the latter, it may be a direct rules/equipment violation all together and would be a match disqualification as at most 3-Gun matches, you run what you brung.  Any optics changes require the okey-dokey from the match director.  There was a guy that was trying to be slick at the 3-Gun Nationals a couple of years ago doing this exact thing.  He became known as 4-Gun Glen after that.  Needless to say, he was DQ'ed for unsportsmanlike conduct.

There are a couple of matches back home where the longest shot would be 75 yards.  For that, I pull out the shorty with either an Aimpoint or an EOTech on and run and gun.

Just my guess though.

Camp Humphreys, ROK
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:38:30 AM EDT
[#37]
ARthuri, your second one is stunning. Something about the simplicty.

My tripple B 3 gun hook up..  All stock but they work great

Bushy Partrolman's carbine
Benelli M1 super 90
Beretta 96

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:17:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:39:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Denny wrote:

"I evaluate the stages in the match and if there is a lot of close range stages I use the Eotech.  If the match tends to run to more precision stuff I run the US Optics 1X4.

Generally the IDPA stuff tends to be close, fast and dirty.  I just evaluate what the majority of the stages are worth in total match points and take it from there.

Denny(the gamer)"

+1    I have two competition rifles - one with a Weaver 1-4x and one with an Aimpoint [see my pic on page 1 of the thread].  That way I just pick my rifle/optic based on the courses of fire and therfore don't need swap or re-zero my optics.  

The failure to know your zero and hold overs at various distances is a typical mistake of novice three-gunners.  It's a mistake that will cost you dearly and is easily avoidable.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:38:04 PM EDT
[#40]
bump
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:54:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#43]
This is my old setup.Colt 16" H-bar, comp-m and wilson comp. M1 field and Para p-16.

Now I use the same pistol and shotgun but the rifle is a Rock River lower,CMT upper with 20" govt profile bbl with wilson comp.Sight ie a EOTech 552.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:45:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Jeff,
This is what I use (only been to a couple of matches - hope to do more this year):

only I've replaced the ARMS #40A2 with a LaRue rear BUIS since the photo was taken.  Carbine stages don't seem to run beyond 50y at the club I've shot at (everything is more CQB).

Someday I'd love to come to some of the matches out west and give my 6.8 a workout .
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:56:37 PM EDT
[#46]
The one in the middle.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#47]
I go back and forth with the m-4 mock up that I have

- but this one is a tack driver---

DPMS  16"  SS bull barrel
Now it has straight trigger - Chip Mccormick drop in Single Stage -

Awesome trigger.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:16:39 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
This is 3 gun rifle.  It has one of my Recon profile barrels in it.  LaRue bipod adapter so I can loose the bipod if I want to.  It also has a second optic, an Eotech pre-zeroed at 25 yards on a LaRue Mount for the short courses.

Denny

Denny,

I'm no expert at this having only run 2 matches so far, but I was under the impression that there is no optic swapping. You run the same rifle (Same Config) in both long and short range. Which is why all the low power variables are becoming the stardard, or running duel optics which throws you into the open class.

Two words:  TROOPER CLASS!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:14:00 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Denny

Denny,

Two words:  TROOPER CLASS!

Are you flirting with me?

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:26:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top