Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 9:34:56 AM EDT
NOT A SS vs. CHROME-MOLY DEBATE....

I'm just asking if both were the SAME price which one would forum members order new from the factory?

I've noticed 99% of all AR-15 have CHROME-MOLY barrels and woundering if people choose that route since its cheaper or not when ordering? I'm about to custom order a new RRA AR-15 and really like the idea of a bead blasted SS barrel (less rust/more accurate), but like the way a black one looks and the added durability of CHROME-MOLY under rapid fire. I know there is A PRICE DIFFERENCE, BUT IF THERE WASN'T...WHAT WOULD YOU BUY???????
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:39:35 AM EDT
[#1]
FWIW, there is a difference between chrome moly and chrome lined and the vast majority of the ARs in use around here are 4150 chrome lined barrels NOT chrome moly.

Your intended use should dictate your choice.

Your barrel length can have a bearing on that choice too.

Shame you couldn't list either in your post.......

Mike
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:50:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Without knowing what the end user intends to do with the barrel, its hard to make a realistic answer....
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:53:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry about that...I meant "chrome lined" on the poll where its says "chrome moly (chrome lined).
As you can see, I'm new and thought I knew enough to post a poll after reading up on the different types of barrel options. I have done a lot of searching/reading on here, but just trying to see if PRICE is why SO MANY choose the black chrome lined barrel?ANSWER THE POLL (if you were buying) AS IF ALL THE BARREL OPTIONS COST THE SAME....thanks.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:06:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I would like the "best of both worlds" you could say...HTMy gun budget just doesn't allow me to buy 2 or 3 different AR-15's for each of my needs, so I figure a nice mix of options would be best for me:
-16" bead blasted (none glare) Stainless
-6 pos. retractable  stock
-A4 (flat top)
-Eotech / scope

DOES THIS SEEM LIKE A STUPID COMBINATION, if I decide I don't like it....how easy would it be to sell it? The RRA version will cost me $840 new(no sights), so I would hope I could at least sell it for around $700 if I change my mind after a 100 rounds or so.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#5]
bump
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:32:14 AM EDT
[#6]
AR-15 Corvette,

I was thinking of doing the same thing! I decided on a RRA. I liked the Government Model but the accuracy garauntee was 1 1/2 MOA. While the Stainless barrels are 3/4 MOA.
click on my thread to RRA moderator
I don't mind the stainless look, I'm not going to be sneaking around at night.

I like the 16" length. Basically I want the Government Model minus the Halosite and flash light but addding the SS barrel.

My only question, Is Rapid fireing a 30 or 40 round mag. once in a while OK in a stainless barrel?

I would like to plink a soda can at 100yds consecutively
Frank
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:08:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Without knowing what the end user intends to do with the barrel, its hard to make a realistic answer....

Same here.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:11:42 PM EDT
[#8]
a SS barrel isn't immune to rust, just to let you know.  It will happen if you don't keep it clean.  

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#9]
true, but it sure does help

Quoted:
a SS barrel isn't immune to rust, just to let you know.  It will happen if you don't keep it clean.  

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#10]
overall, C/L
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:49:01 PM EDT
[#11]
SS is starting to really make it's way into mainstream and not just for competition anymore.

I bet that 45.45% of the 45.45% that voted for Chrome Lined Chrome Moly voted that way because that is "Milspec" in their minds and can't see choosing anything else.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:25:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
SS is starting to really make it's way into mainstream and not just for competition anymore.

I bet that 45.45% of the 45.45% that voted for Chrome Lined Chrome Moly voted that way because that is "Milspec" in their minds and can't see choosing anything else.  

I voted that way because I like the longevity of a chrome lined bore.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:22:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I voted that way because I like the longevity of a chrome lined bore.

+1

I fully expect to get up to 10,000rds through 2 of my AR's in the next 2 or 3 years and I want a barrel that will last longer than that.

I've heard that Stainless barrels start wearing out around that time so I don't want one.

Couple it with the fact that they cost more and people think "they're tacti-cool" I'll keep the CL barrels I have. I don't really like going with the flow anyways.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:49:28 PM EDT
[#14]
SS is tacticool now?  I was hoping it wasn't quite tacticool yet.  I got mine last March from Steve at ADCO before the big SS middy craze hit- does that leave me off of the bandwagon ninjawagon?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:57:50 PM EDT
[#15]
In my opinion, it's getting to be.

I'm not saying you're some tacticalninja, or nothing.

I'm just saying that, even in the short time I've been on this site, tastes fluctuate and SS barrels are on their way up right now.

A couple months ago, if you didn't have a 4150 barrel, you were a loser because 4140 is so inferior.

Just my opinion, I'm not flaming you or anyone else.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 6:33:29 PM EDT
[#16]
YOU SHOULD USE STAINLESS FOR  TACTICAL LONG DISTANT.CHROME MOLY FOR RAPID SHOOTING AS STAINLESS WILL START TO LOSE RIFLING.IF THE BARREL  IS MADE OUT  OF A LOW GRADE STAINLESS,304 SERIES ,THEN IT WILL RUST,BUT MOST TIMES THE STAINLESS WILL NOT RUST,BUT THE MATERAIL THAT IS EMBEDDED INTO THE STAINLESS WILL RUST.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:21:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Chrome lined unless your doing match shooting where you need to wring every bit of accuracy possible from your rifle. Reason?

1) barrel life

2) ease of maintence

3) most of us won't see a difference in accuracy

Now if the barrel lasted as long or longer than chrome on SS, I'd be all over it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:30:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
YOU SHOULD USE STAINLESS FOR  TACTICAL LONG DISTANT.CHROME MOLY FOR RAPID SHOOTING AS STAINLESS WILL START TO LOSE RIFLING.IF THE BARREL  IS MADE OUT  OF A LOW GRADE STAINLESS,304 SERIES ,THEN IT WILL RUST,BUT MOST TIMES THE STAINLESS WILL NOT RUST,BUT THE MATERAIL THAT IS EMBEDDED INTO THE STAINLESS WILL RUST.

wow.  take a breath dude.  you don't believe in punctuation or spaces, do you?

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:33:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

3) most of us won't see a difference in accuracy

+1 on that....  it's like arguing the differences between differentials on an SUV that will be driven to work and the grocery store for most people...
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:43:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Chrome Moly (chrome lined)
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#21]
+ 1
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:19:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Go with chrom-moly carbon steel with chrome lined barrel and chamber.  This setup will last in excess of 20,000 rounds.  I think non-lined barrels are good for maybe 10,000 rounds before they loose their accuracy, ie worn out.  Some people say that chromelined barrels are not as accurate as a non-chromed one, but a good chrome-line is pretty darn accurate.  SS barrels are supposed to be more accurate, but unless your shooting  competition whereas that accuracy is needed, probably not worth it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:11:40 AM EDT
[#23]
How long do you think SS w/ last?..5K-10K?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:12:40 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Correct. That’s why I save myself the 50+ dollars and simply go with chrome-moly. I maintain my weapons to prevent corrosion. And even though all my AR’s are built and outfitted to serve in a SHTF situation, if it came down to operating in a TEOTWAWKI situation my barrel possibly having a spec of corrosion in it would be my last worry.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:19:19 AM EDT
[#25]
stainless steel or chrome lined either one
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:23:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Unless you want a lightweight barrel, there are no really compelling reasons to go with anything but stainless except for very low maintenance SHTF truck guns.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

+1
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top