Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2012 7:13:59 PM EDT
I’d like to replace the charging handle/latch on my AR to make it more optics friendly.  Right now I'm primarily concerned about ending up with a larger latch, but I’m thinking about installing something like a PRI Gas Buster that will also divert gases away from my face since I’m planning to acquire a sound suppressor in the not too distant future.  Is the PRI Gas Buster the only CH that does this (diverts gas)?

I’ve also seen references to applying silicone caulk to the CH to divert gas.  Maybe I should just get a larger latch (e.g., BCM/VLTOR) right now and use the silicone caulk trick in the future when I obtain my suppressor?

BTW, this is for a 6.5 Grendel with a 14.5" barrel.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I too am going with a suppressor soon and I plan on just doing the silicon trick with a BCM GunFighter Mod 4. Much cheaper
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:43:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I went with an LMT charging handle, I liked the latch better than the BCM ones. As far as gas in face, definitely use RTV silicone. You could also just create a channel by using a dremel or a drill. That's what one of my buddies did and he said it helped a lot
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I too am going with a suppressor soon and I plan on just doing the silicon trick with a BCM GunFighter Mod 4. Much cheaper

Thanks for the link, it looks pretty easy to do.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#4]
My experience says the BCM CH works better than the GB on all counts including mitigating gas from suppressor use.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Brilliant.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I just drilled mine out - I will let you know how it goes
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#7]
My PRI Gas Buster CH broke under heavy use at a course, and I will not purchase another.

The silicon trick however, looks like a great idea, particularly paired with a BCM CH.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:52:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I went with an LMT charging handle, I liked the latch better than the BCM ones. As far as gas in face, definitely use RTV silicone. You could also just create a channel by using a dremel or a drill. That's what one of my buddies did and he said it helped a lot

Can you explain this further?

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Just tried it out on my rifle and it is wonderful when using a suppressor.

Essentially, you drill a hole on the right side opposite of the latch. Then one in the inside parallel to the charging handle.

This will create an L shaped channel that directs gas to the right of the rifle.

This really cut down on the gas
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top