Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/9/2006 3:55:29 PM EDT
I finally got around to buying an AR. I got a RRA Elite A4. I haven't had time to go to the range yet, though. So I'm taking it apart and I'm fiddling with the bolt. Sorry if its been asked, I did a search but found nothing.  

My question is: How far does the firing pin portrude out of the bolt? When I push the firing pin it pops out about a millimeter or two(at most) before it stops. I compare this to the firing pin in one of my revolvers (with the hammer dropped and the trigger held all the way back) and it seems that the AR's firing pin sticks out about half as much as the revolver.

I'm having trouble visualizing the AR firing pin setting off the primer, since it doesn't seem to stick out all that much.

So, is it just me, worrying over nothing since I don't have time to shoot it? Am I just confusing y'all? Any input would be appreciated.

p.s. I made my own sling, using the sticky posted in the Slings section...it was easy and it works great.
Link Posted: 11/9/2006 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#1]
its fine, thats how all ar15s are.
Link Posted: 11/9/2006 4:18:01 PM EDT
[#2]
You can get a Firing Pin Protrusion Gauge, which will help you measure it. But min. is .028 and max. is .036 Hope this helps you out. And if it's new, don't worry about it. You shouldn't have any wear issues until at least 5000 rds or so, at least thats been my experience.
Link Posted: 11/9/2006 7:16:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks. I'm just suprised at how little it actually protrudes.

I really need to make some time to get to the range....
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top