Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2011 2:15:07 PM EDT
While I agree that Red-Dots are great (I LOVE the T-1 and the XPS red dots)––especially for sub-100Y (for me)––the only two times I've been in a "shoot house" (not sure if that's the right word, since we were just using the blue guns––simmunitions––in a makeshift plywood house), I found myself shooting without using my XPS––the gun was shouldered, I was just looking over it or through it, but focusing on the room not the reticle which I only occasionally peripherally noticed.  I would see a bad guy-mannequin (and later a human) and put two or three rounds into it/him, but often was looking around before I even pulled the trigger the last time to find a new target and shoot it.  This was in the 5-20ft range––fairly small rooms.  Avg distance was probably 8-9ft.

IS this just a terribly bad habit?  Do most door-kickers use their red-dots instead of point-shooting?  I think I just prioritized speed and situational awareness over super-tight groups, but it didn't seem to hurt me.  I've even shot at pie plates at 10 yards like this with my irons folded down and did fine (though it was with a .22 conversion, so that may have helped a bit with speed).   NOTE:  MY groups were way better with the AR than with the Glock 17 blue gun (my personal gun is a 19 with a slimmed down grip, but that shouldn't have made a big difference).  While I do "plan" on using my light and laser and a rigged up BAC in the event of a real HD scenario, it seems I'll probably resort back to just basically point shooting from intuitive muscle-memory.  
Is that so wrong?!  ;o)

––note––
I had no trouble point shooting with the simmunition:  6" COM groups of 3 or 4 on most of the dummies (occasionally I'd have to shoot just an exposed head, and still get 1 or 2 shots in the center-of-face and have the other shot clip the chin/ear/top of forehead area.  One important factor is that, of the 15+ runs I did, there was only an innocent "hostage" in the last runs of each day––but I still didn't have a problem (though I'm sure my dad, playing the hostage once, would have preferred I went slower and used my XPS2, since he'd been hit in the wrist in the prior round by a fellow agent...I avoided getting hit in any exposed areas, but I did get the wind knocked out of me during a two-on-one "pistol retention drill").
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 2:18:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I do the same thing. Point shooting / quick kill method at close range, and transition to optics for longer shots.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 4:24:34 PM EDT
[#2]
yeah that's pretty normal, at least i do it. it sure is faster. ive run through a few cmp shoots using that method and never had a problem making hits. i would use the red dot in a hostage situation though. i dont want to be the guy sued for shooting a civ. thats why i have my ar set up with the red dot sighted in at 25 feet and i use my irons for the longer shots.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 4:25:57 PM EDT
[#3]
double tap.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 4:43:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Carbine course I took in 2k5 had us doing CQB stuff by looking over the top of the front sight post/top of optic.  This was for ranges out to about 10 feet or so.  Had an interesting drill setup with a target about 10 feet in front of us, then a shoot with a no-shoot in front of it behind that at about 30 yards.  Start at low ready, snap up hit the first target, then nail the second one in the face.  Worked out really well, and is quite fast.  YOu basically were hitting the first target as you were pulling the gun up into position to get the far target.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 8:05:06 PM EDT
[#5]
i learned ever since I was a kid bird hunting with a shotgun to shoulder the gun a certain way every time "you look for the same feel" you get comfortable with it. You practice it shooting thousands of rounds out of a .22. (and i guess from 15 years of bird hunting) Once I got that feel Ive come to whiteness my ability to transition that skill to just about any shoulder mounted weapon to where I can acquire a target and make center mass shot on an ISPC sized target within 30-35 yards.

There are obvious reasons people learn to shoot like this and there are of course going to be real life scenarios where shooting like this would work just fine. But if it was my family and my house and my gun for home defense I would want some sort of laser (if it be pistol) or red dot (AR). Chances are if a situation occurs in your home there will be other people there, you will probably want to have something that aids in your precision. The last thing you want to do is go swinging around the corner willy nilly shoot poor billy.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top