Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2017 2:37:59 PM EDT
I currently own a colt crz-16 (free float, match grade barrel) which is great for supported shooting, but horrible for anything else.

As such I would like to build a light weight upper for everything else (standing, kneeling, carrying around through the woods, shooting on the move etc)

Everything should be atleast mil spec.

(see first post-stupid character limit)

Suggestions?  And why?

Looking at the sentry 6 set screw adjustable gas block.  $120

Aero Precision assmebled m4 upper-$55

Barrel: Faxon 16" pencil, qpq, 4150 CMV, 1:8, 1.2lbs/19.2oz $336 w/gas tube and BCG-see below

Faxon nitride finish BCG

Flash hider: Smith Enterprises Vortex $58

Considering AR-stoner free float m-lock 10.5" $100

Anderson Ambidextrous Extended charging handle $25

Total so far $694

Any parts I'm missing?
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I know I want a 5.56 barrel, 16" (may get a tax stamp further down the line for a 14"), chrome lined, 1/7 twist.  I want it to be lightweight while still being durable, and be able to shoot a 2' target at 300m supported-which I could do with my issued rifle no problem.  I'm not familiar with the different specs on type of metal used, or milled/stamped/forged.  Someone suggested I get an adjustable gas block.  I'm fairly certain I want a vortex flash hider from smith enterprises-I had one on my issued rifle, and you could see more flash from the receiver with nvg's at night, not to mention it held the barrel almost perfectly on target.  Someone suggested a pencil barrel.  I'm probably going to go with magpul mlock carbine length for the free float handguard, as all I'm adding is an angled grip with the possibility of a surefire.  I definitely want a picatinny top on the receiver, and I'm either going with an acog or an aimpoint with a flip mount magnifier.

*stupid character limit
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 2:57:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I would stick to standard stuff. Forged aluminum receivers, and steel BCG.
I have a Faxon 16" Lightweight barrel. It's not chrome lined like you asked, but light as hell.
The only other people I can think of making lightweight chrome lined barrels would be Delton and BCM.
At the prices where BCGs are 80-120$ for a good quality one, there really isn't a need for the hassle of swapping BCGs. I picked up a new Nickel Boron Coated Fail Zero BCG for 100$ here on the EE.
Honestly I would just build a standard rifle with a lightweight barrel and 12-13" Free Floated Rail. With that setup, an adjustable gas block isn't needed.

I would get an upper with forward assist and dust cover, as it adds security to me and doesn't add too much weight.
These would be my picks
Barrel
Standard Upper and Lower set
13" Rail

If you are patient enough and wait for sales or buy used parts, you can get this build around 650 without optics...

... If you want atleast mil spec, you're going to be building a standard rifle...
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 3:02:59 PM EDT
[#3]
For what you've listed, I would personally go with an A1 or C7 upper.  KISS thread here.

That's my personal preference, though.  You may not like it if you want optics.

Receivers are typically aluminum.  I think you can find steel ones, but they would be extremely expensive and not practical.  

A pencil profile would probably be fine for what you need.  Ballistic advantage makes nice barrels and if you order from them they'll attach a FSB.  

An adjustable gas block would be entirely unnecessary.  So is a muzzle device, other than a bird cage, for that matter.  They turn an already soft shooting rifle in to an annoying noise maker.

I like dust covers and forward assists, but I wouldn't say they're necessary.  

Don't swap BCGs.  You could get away with using the carrier and two different bolts, but there's no reason not to spend $100 or less on a premium PSA BCG, or Aim Surplus.
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 5:07:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd suggest the Faxon 14-1/2" "Gunner" barrel with slim pinned and welded flash hider along with the BCM KMR handguard,  I have the Alpha one, but they make one in an aluminum/magnesium blend that is even lighter.  The weight of my complete rifle including the Primary Arms 2.5 compact scope is slightly under 7 pounds.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:27:35 AM EDT
[#5]
So far as it's the best one I've seen, I'm going with the faxon pencil.  I'm guessing the CMV 4150 means chrome moly something ie chrome lined?

http://faxonfirearms.com/16-pencil-5-56-nato-mid-length-4150-qpq/

Is a gas tube a gas tube or do I need to look around a bit for that?

Also, should I go with that lightwight faxon bcg?  How much of a difference will it make?  It's @ 250.  It'll still be well within my budget.

The adjustable gas block doesn't add much, if any, additional weight over a standard, so I don't see why I shouldn't get one.  Especially with the low-weight bcg from faxon.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:36:21 AM EDT
[#6]
14.5 BA Hanson .625 (includes gas block)
BE Meyers FH, pinned
Nitride gas tube
Aero No-FA upper
Centurion CMR Mlok 13"
Aim LW BCG
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:42:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So far as it's the best one I've seen, I'm going with the faxon pencil.  I'm guessing the CMV 4150 means chrome moly something ie chrome lined?

http://faxonfirearms.com/16-pencil-5-56-nato-mid-length-4150-qpq/

Is a gas tube a gas tube or do I need to look around a bit for that?

Also, should I go with that lightwight faxon bcg?  How much of a difference will it make?  It's @ 250.  It'll still be well within my budget.

The adjustable gas block doesn't add much, if any, additional weight over a standard, so I don't see why I shouldn't get one.  Especially with the low-weight bcg from faxon.
View Quote
I'm pretty sure CMV means Chrome Moly Vanadium. It has a QPQ lining, which I feel is superior to chrome lining.

Gas tubes are pretty much the same. The only thing in my mind that can make one different is if it is black or silver...

In my opinion I would just stick with Mil Spec, because I'll know it'll run. I've messed around with some specialty light weight bolt carriers, and to get them running correctly you need an adjustable gas system to tune it.

I would also be looking at free floated handguards. I would get a 12-13" Rail, as it gives you plenty of room for your hands and equipment... without adding additional weight. Rifle length handguards are 12" long so you pretty much have the same length.
I was looking at the ALG EMR V2 as a great option for a 12-13" rail, and it's 100-140 if you look in the right place cough cough I have an ad for one
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:19:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure CMV means Chrome Moly Vanadium. It has a QPQ lining, which I feel is superior to chrome lining.

Gas tubes are pretty much the same. The only thing in my mind that can make one different is if it is black or silver...

In my opinion I would just stick with Mil Spec, because I'll know it'll run. I've messed around with some specialty light weight bolt carriers, and to get them running correctly you need an adjustable gas system to tune it.

I would also be looking at free floated handguards. I would get a 12-13" Rail, as it gives you plenty of room for your hands and equipment... without adding additional weight. Rifle length handguards are 12" long so you pretty much have the same length.
I was looking at the ALG EMR V2 as a great option for a 12-13" rail, and it's 100-140 if you look in the right place cough cough I have an ad for one
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Found this reddit, think I'll go with the melanite qpq over the chrome.  https://www.reddit.com/r/ar15/comments/4dpfrn/qpq_vs_chrome_lined/

And yes I'm going with a carbine or mid free float.  Was going to go with mlock because I assumed it was cheaper than picatinny; however, midway has them priced the same.  Although mlock is still probably lighter

Quoted:
BE Meyers FH, pinned
Nitride gas tube
Aero No-FA upper
Centurion CMR Mlok 13"
Aim LW BCG
Could you expand on your choices please?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 3:30:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Also, clamped vs solid gas block?  As I plan to apply for a sbr tax stamp for a 14" barrel, would you recommend getting the clamped gas block so switching out the barrel is easier?

Kind of thinking of getting an adjustable gas block for my match grade upper as well.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:17:59 AM EDT
[#11]
The "solid" gas block you have is a set screw type.

If your planning on going to the SBR route, why not just pin and weld a 14.7" barrel with your choice of flash hider? In the end, you might save half an inch to an inch without a flash hider if you get a 14.5
You're going to save that tax stamp money which you can shove some other place.

Honestly there's no big advantages or dis advantages. If done properly, the clamped and set screw should both function fine.
If you want the "best" route I would go to a pinned gas block. That would take sending it in to a competent gunsmith, or mailing it into Adco Firearms.
https://adcofirearms.com/

It costs 50$ to pin a gas block, and 50$ to pin and weld a muzzle device.

For 100$ in service, you'll have a bomb proof AR. They also assemble uppers if you need that service tool
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 4:27:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Did a little research.  Nitride seems the way to go for my bcg.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:02:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll look for a pinned adjustable .625" gas block then.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:18:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Looking at this one.  Has excellent reviews.  
http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=57_103_168_117&product_id=447
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:46:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Looking at this one.  Has excellent reviews.  
http://slrrifleworks.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=57_103_168_117&product_id=447
View Quote
You can't go wrong with SLR gas blocks.  Everyone here will recommend them.

For a BCG I would go with an Aim Surplus lightweight:  https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=XAIMBCGN3LW
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 2:08:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:16:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Needs to be reliable so the lightweight bolt is a no go.  Thinking of just throwing in the standard faxon bcg with the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 5:51:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Needs to be reliable so the lightweight bolt is a no go.  Thinking of just throwing in the standard faxon bcg with the barrel.
View Quote
Then don't bother with an adjustable gas block.  Reducing the gas without lightening the buffer or bcg is just going to make a non-functioning rifle.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 6:53:16 PM EDT
[#19]
First, I'm making a build with a much shorter gas system than my original buffer is intended for, so it may even be necessary to increase gas flow.

Second, I've read several articles that say an adjustable gas block almost always helps.

Third I'm probably going to order a suppressor anyway which dramatically changes the operation of the gas system.

So I think the adjustable gas block is a good idea.

And what drawbacks are there to having an adjustable gas block anyway; the one I picked is extremely reliable and my budget definitely allows for it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:07:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
First, I'm making a build with a much shorter gas system than my original buffer is intended for, so it may even be necessary to increase gas flow.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
An adjustable gas block can't increase flow.  It can only restrict it.

Second, I've read several articles that say an adjustable gas block almost always helps.
Only if the rifle is overgassed to begin with.

Third I'm probably going to order a suppressor anyway which dramatically changes the operation of the gas system.
Fair point, but if this is the only reason then I would get the style that has 2 settings: supressed, and unsupressed.  That way you aren't messing around counting a dozen detent clicks every time you take your supressor on or off.

And what drawbacks are there to having an adjustable gas block anyway; the one I picked is extremely reliable and my budget definitely allows for it.
It adds unnecessary complexity unless you use it to tune your rifle to run a specific kind of ammo, or if you alternate between supressed and unsupressed shooting.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

An adjustable gas block can't increase flow.  It can only restrict it.

Didn't even think that one through.  Ya I guess the gas tube remains the same diameter.

Only if the rifle is overgassed to begin with.

Ive heard arguments that you need much less than what most run at.

Fair point, but if this is the only reason then I would get the style that has 2 settings: supressed, and unsupressed.  That way you aren't messing around counting a dozen detent clicks every time you take your supressor on or off.

Got any suggestions?  Has to be as good as or better than that SLR in terms of reliability.

It adds unnecessary complexity unless you use it to tune your rifle to run a specific kind of ammo, or if you alternate between supressed and unsupressed shooting.
View Quote
With as reliable as that's supposed to be, I think it's worth that miniscule amount of potential failure.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:25:37 PM EDT
[#22]
This seems like a cool endeavor.  I would like to build a USAF clone, one without the FA.  A BCG without cuts seems impossible to find.

But no FA would save you a few ounces for something you might or might not ever use.  Stoner argued against it, plenty of threads yea or nea, smash or pass.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:59:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
What do you mean by shorter gas system than my original buffer is intended for?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:12:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This seems like a cool endeavor.  I would like to build a USAF clone, one without the FA.  A BCG without cuts seems impossible to find.

But no FA would save you a few ounces for something you might or might not ever use.  Stoner argued against it, plenty of threads yea or nea, smash or pass.
View Quote
Ive used my FA plenty of times.  Would never sacrifice it on a rifle I'd put my life behiund which is what this is meant for.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:01:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Forgot the charging handle.  *facepalm

Anderson Ambidextrous Extended Charging Handle $25
https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.opticsplanet.com%2Fanderson-manufacturing-ar15-ambi-charging-handle-assembly.html%3Ffref%3Dgc&h=ATOp0OaKzTT1-DMdFc7LD-qvnPAzNswYx5ih1hqv26coyk9zwD8v-N1zprzNYITOgn9MXcKfygsPlaw0bmD8QcZrR-fKSv5H-9FnrDE_44VXqlSbKwrIDed1B15QTvQEoXR61SWU
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 5:11:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Forgot the charging handle.  *facepalm

Anderson Ambidextrous Extended Charging Handle $25
https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.opticsplanet.com%2Fanderson-manufacturing-ar15-ambi-charging-handle-assembly.html%3Ffref%3Dgc&h=ATOp0OaKzTT1-DMdFc7LD-qvnPAzNswYx5ih1hqv26coyk9zwD8v-N1zprzNYITOgn9MXcKfygsPlaw0bmD8QcZrR-fKSv5H-9FnrDE_44VXqlSbKwrIDed1B15QTvQEoXR61SWU
View Quote
I wouldn't get one of those. I've found them to get in the way. I had a similar one to that, but the shape of the left side was a little bit different. The roll pin likes to break a lot more on the extended ones.

It depends on how you charge the rifle. I use my fingers on both sides of the charging handle with my thumb on the rear to pull it back. That way I can charge from both hands without changing much, I get better grasp of the charging handle also. Because of that, I prefer standard charging handles.

However, if you use your thumb and pointer to pinch one side I would get a BCM, Radian, LWRC, or Geissele. I like the LWRC the best, but I would try to try them out if possible just like everything else it's personal preference.
Aero has a pretty cheap one at 50$. Radian also has one for 60$.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a few Strike Industries extended charging handles (~$30) and really like them, or for a little more you can step up to a BCM gunfighter (~$45).  I would stay away from that Anderson that you linked.

Still need some kind of sights.

You can find Aero Precision upper receivers for around $55 which would give you more money to put toward something else.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:20:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have a few Strike Industries extended charging handles (~$30) and really like them, or for a little more you can step up to a BCM gunfighter (~$45).  I would stay away from that Anderson that you linked.

Still need some kind of sights.

You can find Aero Precision upper receivers for around $55 which would give you more money to put toward something else.
View Quote
Looked, didn't see any.  And if the dust cover and forward assist run me another $40 it's not worth it anyway; that RRA one is already assembled, saves me a couple of steps plus the hassle of finding another FA and DC.

As far as sights go, I'm budgeting up to the value of a led 4x32 acog; either going with an aimpoint w magnifier, the vortex equivelant, or the acog.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:23:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I wouldn't get one of those. I've found them to get in the way. I had a similar one to that, but the shape of the left side was a little bit different. The roll pin likes to break a lot more on the extended ones.

It depends on how you charge the rifle. I use my fingers on both sides of the charging handle with my thumb on the rear to pull it back. That way I can charge from both hands without changing much, I get better grasp of the charging handle also. Because of that, I prefer standard charging handles.

However, if you use your thumb and pointer to pinch one side I would get a BCM, Radian, LWRC, or Geissele. I like the LWRC the best, but I would try to try them out if possible just like everything else it's personal preference.
Aero has a pretty cheap one at 50$. Radian also has one for 60$.
View Quote
You're right.  It was necessarry and didn't get in the way with my match grade barrel because of the scope; but if I'm mounting standard mil sights (red dot w magnifier or acog) then it would get in the way and would not be necessarry.  An ambi mil spec handle would be best, although I charge it in the same manner usually.  I might go down to cabellas and try out the different charging handles, see what I like most.  Goin through there tomorrow anyway.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 3:23:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Looked, didn't see any.  And if the dust cover and forward assist run me another $40 it's not worth it anyway; that RRA one is already assembled, saves me a couple of steps plus the hassle of finding another FA and DC.

As far as sights go, I'm budgeting up to the value of a led 4x32 acog; either going with an aimpoint w magnifier, the vortex equivelant, or the acog.
View Quote
It's assembled.  I  didn't realize they were a site sponsor so I didn't want to link to it, but they are:  http://www.schuylerarmsco.com/product.aero-precision-assembled-upper-reciever-993
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Alright, I'll go with that one.  Is there some way to shim up mismatched receivers without messing with operation or field stripping?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Alright, I'll go with that one.  Is there some way to shim up mismatched receivers without messing with operation or field stripping?
View Quote
What do you mean by shim up and what do you mean by mismatched receivers?
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 5:18:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What do you mean by shim up and what do you mean by mismatched receivers?
View Quote
Different brands so they might have slightly different tolerances and also considering ive filled atleast 3 .50 cans with brass-@2k rounds each theres bound to be some wear on the receiver.  Trying to prevent rattling
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 5:49:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Found this reddit, think I'll go with the melanite qpq over the chrome.  https://www.reddit.com/r/ar15/comments/4dpfrn/qpq_vs_chrome_lined/

And yes I'm going with a carbine or mid free float.  Was going to go with mlock because I assumed it was cheaper than picatinny; however, midway has them priced the same.  Although mlock is still probably lighter

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
BE Meyers FH, pinned
Nitride gas tube
Aero No-FA upper
Centurion CMR Mlok 13"
Aim LW BCG
They're good.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 5:50:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Also, clamped vs solid gas block?  As I plan to apply for a sbr tax stamp for a 14" barrel, would you recommend getting the clamped gas block so switching out the barrel is easier?

Kind of thinking of getting an adjustable gas block for my match grade upper as well.
View Quote
Get a BA Hanson bbl that comes with a gas block.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 10:56:56 AM EDT
[#36]
So I've narrowed the charging handle down to two choices.  Just not real sure about the rattler as it looks wierd.

POF 7075 rattler ambidextrous handle $53
https://pof-usa.com/shop/upgrades-accessories/charging-handles/223-rattler-ambidextrous-charging-handle/

Radian Weapons 7075 Raptor $63
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/radian-weapons-raptor-lt-ar-15-ambidextrous-charging-handle-556-nato-7075-t6-aluminum-over-molded-with-high-strength-fiber-glass-reinforced-polymer-black-latch-matte-black-817093021160.do?sortby=ourPicksAscend&page=2&refType=&from=fn

About the shimming-I'm probably gonna grab an accu-wedge.
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receiver-hardware/accu-wedges/ar-15-m16-accu-wedge-prod16662.aspx
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 2:01:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Purchasing everything but the charging handle today;  I'll make my decision on that as I build the upper.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Completely changed my mind on half this shit due to stock and sales ending/starting

Faxon 16" pencil w/gas tube $191

Aero nitrade m16 c158 bcg $100 (291)

Aero enhanced m4e1 receiver with gen 2 12" mlok handguard $200 (491)

Vortex g6a4 flash hider $60 (551)

SLR 6 adjustable gas block $102 (653)

Raptor ambi charging handle $64 (717)
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 4:59:48 PM EDT
[#39]
For a good do all light weight upper here is what I would suggest and this without special light weight parts.
M4 slick side upper ei no forward assist or shell deflector, deflector is nice to have though so at a min no FA
Faxon 14.5" Gunner or even lighter Pencile barre and pin on a good FH. BCM extended is great and Weapontech Punisher is an awesome FH/comp combo that will get you to the legal 16".
BCG of your choice. I like AIM nitride and PSA NiB for the cost to quality and ease of cleaning.
Rail of your liking. 9-13" will save some weight depending on gas length. BCM KMR,  MI, Geissele, UTG Pro are all light rails.
Edit for crapy spelling
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
For a good do all light weight upper here is what I would suggest and this without special light weight parts.
M4 slick side upper ei no forward assist or shell deflector, deflector is nice to have though so at a min no FA
Faxon 14.5" Gunner or even lighter Pencile barreland pin on a good FH. BCM extended is great and Weapontech Punisher is an awesome FH/comp combo that will get you to the legal 16".
BCG of your choice. I like AIM nitride and PSA NiB for the cost to quality and easy of cleaning.
Rail of your liking. 9-13" will save some weight depending on gas length. BCM KMR,  MI, Geissele, UTG Pro are all light rails.
View Quote
First already ordered it so too late anyway.

2nd I'm prioritizing reliability>durability>weight>accuracy as this will be a weapon I put my life behind.  So FA and dust cover are a necessity, as is a full weight m16 bolt.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top