Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/15/2006 1:06:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/15/2006 1:10:59 PM EDT by Banzai]
I went to one of the local fun shows today. New USGI mags were going from $15-$45 each. I found one dealer with a whole box of used USGIs, covering about 8 different manufacturers, no date stamps on the mag bodies, and all of them with 70% plus of their original finish, no dents, good feed lips, strong springs, and black followers. They were $5 each. I bought 20. As I was leaving the table, I heard a few guys talking "What a fool, he got taken to the cleaners with that junk". I just smiled and strolled away with my treasure!

All 20 dropped free from my tightest lower (Stag 6.8 SPC marked lower), and fed fine with 30 rounds in each, and grabbed the bolt catch fine.

Long ago I bought 10 packs of USGI mag springs, new for $3 a pack. I have 100 springs if I ever need them, and green followers are almost free in my local area.

Would you have passed on the older mags in favor of new ones online from 44mag.com for $10? Do you only now use Beretta or HK mags?

Tom
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:08:48 PM EDT
I would have got them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:15:54 PM EDT
GI mags for $5.00 each would suit me just fine for range mags or just to stuff in a box and toss in the closet.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:25:12 PM EDT
I would definitely have grabbed some. Heck, I've bought $10 used mags at the last two gunshows, though they've all had the cage code and leo-stampings.

Nothing at all wrong with buying a bunch of 'still working' mags for $5 a pop.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:21:11 PM EDT
Some of my favorite mags are ancient USGI made by "Adventure Line"... Those have to be at least 20 years old. They were used when I got them 15 years ago, and the company has been sold at least twice since those were made (Parsons Precision and later Center Industries).
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:31:03 PM EDT
After getting a freebee H&K mag, I cant see myself ever buying anything else again. Granted, I have 15 regular mags already.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:35:33 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:05:00 PM EDT
"Older" mags are always a treasure at fun shows. Most people don't realize that you can put new springs and followers in them, thereby making them "new". As long as the feed lips are good, than there is no problem!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 10:32:59 PM EDT
I would have bought them
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:43:08 AM EDT
I would have spent every cent I had on those mags. I would have checked the welds and feed lips closely.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:46:11 AM EDT
You did good. I would have bought as many as I could afford.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:47:02 AM EDT
great price.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:57:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:34:49 PM EDT
Great price, I would have purchased them too.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:45:14 PM EDT
I purchased some at that same price. I replaced the springs and added new green followers. They worked just fine. I had some Perma-Slik put away so I refinished them and they are like new now. I have not had one fail yet.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:39:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Banzai:
I went to one of the local fun shows today. New USGI mags were going from $15-$45 each. I found one dealer with a whole box of used USGIs, covering about 8 different manufacturers, no date stamps on the mag bodies, and all of them with 70% plus of their original finish, no dents, good feed lips, strong springs, and black followers. They were $5 each. I bought 20

Tom hr

Wow! What gun show did you go to??
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:45:43 PM EDT
folks at the gun shows around here try to get 30 bucks for mags in worse condition than you stated. Those I pass on, yours I would get.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:11:35 PM EDT
Id say do it, I prefer the GI mags myself.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:15:31 PM EDT
All the gun shows I go to, the guy wants $15 for 'well loved' GI mags. Which is why I've been snagging $10 new GIs when I can. BSW
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:05:49 PM EDT
Banzai, Great buy! I have 20 of the same springs and at least a doz. green followers in parts bag. I was at a show 2 days ago. New mags from dealers selling for 14-18 bucks. I passed on all. But when I saw an x-military individual selling range pick-ups. I looked over mags and sellected ten. I hoped to pick them up for $6.00 ea. and $5.00 would have been great! but this youg wipper snapper was insulted by my offer. They were not marked and he wanted $18.00 ea. I advised him that brand new mags are far less $. He replied by saying "their not USGI, and I not coming down."He can keep his mags and put them where the sun don't shine.

On my 54 mile drive pack home, I stoped at a flea market to scope out deals. Whoa a guy had 3 used USGI mags. Offered him $20.00 for all three very used mags. Said he wanted $20.00!!!

What's going on??? I buy new from now on!!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:10:00 PM EDT
I would have passed. That is a great deal.... though. The only reason I would have passed.... is because I alread have PLENTY of used shooting range mags.... like 50 or so. Anything I pick up to add to the collection, will be to the NIW pile. With prices as low as they are right now.... I'd see myself spending a bit more and getting magpul upgraded teflons.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:10:41 PM EDT
I would have been more than happy to pick up 10-15 of those $5 mags. aslong as I can replace the innards and thay work. I wouldnt be able to pass up on the new $10 ones either. I could easly see my self buying a ammo can full of those.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:50:46 AM EDT
I would have bought them. At a gun show I went to last year, a guy was selling pretty much the same thing, although finish was closer to 50% than 70%. They worked fine as is, but I went ahead and replaced the followers with MagPuls anyway, and they have run really well.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:10:50 AM EDT
As long as I could inspect them individually for straight feed lips and no broken welds on the spine, I'd have picked up 20 or so.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:38:20 AM EDT
you did very well at $5.00 each. I would have jumped on that in a minute... Although being the cheap ass I am, I would have worked on a better price and got the whole box!!!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:05:52 AM EDT
At 5 bucks a peice I would havw checked the feed lips really good , but if they seemed ok I would have bought some
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:34:10 AM EDT
The poll shows pretty much what I figured!

What some of you guys are describing about local prices being just stupid, I'm with ya! Around here in the Tidewater region of VA, new ones are going for $20+, and used beat to crap ones are only slightly cheaper. I don't know what's going on

The show was the Richmond Dixie Classic show at the Showplace. Overall a pretty good show, but like most, in a slow decline. I didn't go to buy mags, but it was the only thing that I could have used that I had the money for (Mrs. Banzai nixed the idea of another Colt Python ).

All of the mags had perfect feed lips, they all held and fed 30 rounds perfectly, and all cleaned up nicely with some soap and water! Green or orange followers went in fine, and none of the springs had any rust on them at all.

Tom
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:37:14 AM EDT
I am not that good at judging mags yet. so from now on I will go for the 10 new. You know where its been!
5 bucks is not a huge loss even if the lips are bad.
I've bought 2 $12 local mags that were bad
Idon't trust my judgement anymore.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:45:11 PM EDT
good purchase!

Now just go on EE and buy a ton of green followers + fresh springs.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:25:08 PM EDT
I have been thinking about this a lot lately. Mag prices are pretty high for used stuff. here is what we can do. I have allready started this my self and it is working quite well. Just refuse to pay more than 10 dollars for ak mags and 8 for a used ar mag. Sks mags should be dam near free unless you can tell me how to get them to work right. maybe we should do a poll of a few mags and see what every one here thinks they should cost and see if we can start some thing. I for one voe to not over pay for used mags I personally dont think any mag is worth more than 10 each. but thats just me. and ammo is the same we all over pay for that to. We should refuse to buy the high price stuff and see how long it will take to come down. ill bet if all of ar 15.com members and friends stick togather we can for sure make a big differance. after all who buyes more shit than the members here? government? id think as a whole thats about all. uncle sam be it millitary or law inforcemen. thanks rick in va
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:29:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Rickinva:
I have been thinking about this a lot lately. Mag prices are pretty high for used stuff. here is what we can do. I have allready started this my self and it is working quite well. Just refuse to pay more than 10 dollars for ak mags and 8 for a used ar mag. Sks mags should be dam near free unless you can tell me how to get them to work right. maybe we should do a poll of a few mags and see what every one here thinks they should cost and see if we can start some thing. I for one voe to not over pay for used mags I personally dont think any mag is worth more than 10 each. but thats just me. and ammo is the same we all over pay for that to. We should refuse to buy the high price stuff and see how long it will take to come down. ill bet if all of ar 15.com members and friends stick togather we can for sure make a big differance. after all who buyes more shit than the members here? government? id think as a whole thats about all. uncle sam be it millitary or law inforcemen. thanks rick in va

Let me know how that works out.
Top Top