Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2002 5:10:19 PM EDT
All:

I think I am sending my Model 1 kit back.  I can't get it sighted in at all.  I had a friend try and bore sight it, and no dice.  The sights are screwed, and the stock won't tighten well onto the receiver.  I am disappointed in it.  

What kit would you get for 5-600?

Thx!

B
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 7:15:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never delt with them but read enough not to order anything from them.
Myself I've had my best luck with www.sherluk.com
Super friendly and the only part I had that was goofy was a tight buffer tube. They seem to buy high quality parts to sell. Kits starting at 425.00.

Rick
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 8:38:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Hantra,

Bring us up to speed on the kit.

Is the front sight just canted, or is the barrel extension pin/gas port off index? Did you build a Car and find that the front sight is too short to zero @100?  
Being screwed can refer to a lot of things.

As for the Stock, you did install the A-2 spacer on the end of the buffer tube before you install the butt stock??  With out the spacer, your stock will be loose and the top butt stock screw will extend into the buffer, causing the rifle to short stroke.

Granted that some of their parts are sub par(cast sight towers), but all of their kits I have built up ran on there first outing.

A bad kit is one thing, but a bad build is a whole different story!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/9/2002 7:12:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, I am not sure what is wrong.  I tried to zero it at 25 yards.  The groups were way right, and when I adjusted the windage to the maximum, they still were right.  Then I bore sighted it, and it was still off.  

The spacer was installed on the stock, but it's an M4 stock if that makes any difference.  

Thanks for the advice. .

B

Link Posted: 9/9/2002 10:37:42 PM EDT
[#4]
When the rifle is shooting right of aim, the barrel/front sight is canted to the left of index of the upper receiver.  The easy fix is to just remove the barrel from the upper and re-install the barrel at the correct index to the upper.

The M-4 butt stock  has a locking ring that is used to tighten the buffer tube to the receiver.  There is no end screw used in the assembly. It goes tube, nut, then plate to retain the rear take down spring. once you have indexed the butt stock with the lower, then use the car wrench and tighten the retaining screw. It helps to have a lower mag block to hold the lower. With out the block, it takes four hands to install.  Two to hold the lower, one to hold the butt stock to index with the receiver, and a forth to tighten the retaining nut.
As for a post-ban style, I am at a lose.  Never felt compelled to build a mock car, just figured if the stock stayed extended, may as well be useful and have a cheek rest.

If you don't have the tools, then either you will need to send the kit back for adjustments, or just buy the tools needed to build the rifle correctly. If your smart, just buy the $50 in tools needed. You will use them countless times repairing your rifle and come in handy if you decide to do a yearly teardown and rebuilt.

Note: Complete tear downs of your AR collection is best done when there is a two day blizzard outside, you have finished all your winter projects, and the Wife has informed you that are standing knee deep on her last nerve!!!!!!!!

P.S. The one item that most people miss when they price a kit is the needed tools to build the rifle.  Granted that you can buy a built upper, and built lower and combine the two, but even on this, you are still the smith.  The function check and tuning are left to the you; the builder.
Link Posted: 9/12/2002 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought the M4 kit from J&T and it seems to be a pretty good kit.  I'd definitely buy another one.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top