Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/8/2003 9:53:59 AM EDT
Recently added an Alexdander Arms (AA) .50 Beowulf upper on my Rock river lower. Using an ATN reflex sight, the combo shoots 3 into a ragged 1-hole group at 100 yards and functions flawlessly with AA factory ammo.

Now the bad news... Alexander Arms' customer service, in a word, SUCKS! It has taken 2 months to get reloading components out of those people and forget getting factory ammo! My local gun shop won't deal with thewm anymore because of this and the only other source I've found is Impact guns (www.impactguns.com).
Any other Beowulf shooters out there that has had similar or (hopefully) better dealings with Alexander Arms?
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 5:21:37 PM EDT
Your best bet for ammo is Cabelas online store. AA direct has never been. They do not want to be a dealer. Your best bet is to call AA and ask for a list of dealers and start there. Better yet ask for a fax. You will probably get the owners wife or kid that answers the phone. It is a small shop and they have a fairly large demand for an outfit of it's size. They have been extremely busy as of late. Good luck Samuel
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 5:31:33 PM EDT
Your Beowulf is a heck of a lot more accurate than mine! I can only get 3" groups out of mine at 100 yards. I got my reloading equipment from Impact, no problems. AA is slow though and known for missing orders from dealers. Cabela's is selling loaded ammo now, I don't know about reloading equipment though. Todd
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 4:22:58 AM EDT
It took Impact right at a month to get my order from AA. Impact Guns and Alan Vogel of Impact are first class and are willing to go the extra mile for customer service. When I first shot the rifle, I was disappointed with the accuracy. I installed an Accu-wedge as well as changed the nuts on the mount to a hexagon style to tighten them a bit better. I have since changed to a Leupold medium-eye relief 1.5-5x scope.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 2:58:29 PM EDT
What kinda accuracy are you getting out of the rifle after the accu-wedge and new optics? Todd
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 8:31:05 AM EDT
1 to 1.5 inches at 100 yards. prior to installing the accu-wedge, I was getting 2" +. It made a big difference. The scope may have had some influence in group size, but I have no way of proving it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 5:52:53 PM EDT
Are those groups with factory or hand loads. If hand loads would you mind sharing them, please. Todd
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 2:38:38 PM EDT
37.6 grains Hodgdon L'il Gun, Ranier 335 grain flat point bullet seated to 2.117" is what works IN MY GUN. I won't guarantee accuracy or safe pressure levels in ANY other gun. Use at your own risk.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 5:58:59 PM EDT
FB41, Thanks for the load data. Do you know what muzzle velocity you are getting out of that load? Todd
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 12:51:34 PM EDT
Beats me... I lent my chrono to a buddy and the idiot put a bullet thru it. As soon as I get a new one outta the bum, I'll test the load. I'm gonna guess it's a tad below the publish velocities, but shouldn't be much below it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 6:40:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/13/2003 6:45:19 AM EDT by TX65]
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 8:23:56 AM EDT
Hiya TX65: I'm sure that AA is very busy manufacturing rifles and ammo, but without customers to buy them, its kinda pointless. Taking a month or more to deliver to their distributors or FFL dealers in atrocious. When I had ordered thru my dealer, he spoke with them on 3 seperate occasions about the status of the order and was given 3 different answers. Impact Guns got the same sort of run around, but finally- after 3 weeks- received my order from AA and promptly shipped it to me. The rifle/caliber combo is damned hard to beat, but the customer service from AA has left a sour taste in my mouth and as a result I am reluctant to recommend it to fellow shooters. Regarding your accuracy results, 1 MOA groups is more than acceptable, that's fantastic, especially from a gun that shoots 1/2 MOA with each squeeze of the trigger!
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 9:23:37 AM EDT
I've run into the same thing, dies are on backorder still. I'm sure they know this type of weapon's ammunition in the shooting crowds hands will be reloaded by the users. It would also be very easy to purchase dies from Lee in a quantity that would cover that demand. No time consumed there, just good planning and work with Lee. The elusive factory load data is still not available and I hate to start out with a clean sheet to develop a load for a wildcat cartridge in a gas gun. Would anybody be so brave as to scan the load data and email it to me? Thanks
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 5:12:07 PM EDT
Max Case Length 1.655 Min Case Length 1.644 Speer 325gr JHP/ CCI #350 / 2.110 OAL/ 37.2 Lil Gun AA 334 FMJ/ CCI #350 / 2.110 OAL/ 37.9 Lil Gun There are others but I lent out my scanner and I type slow as hell. HTH
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 12:46:29 PM EDT
What exactly is the bullet diameter? .500, like the .50AE? Bullets from Midway are significantly cheaper than from AA.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 5:39:58 PM EDT
Oilman, Thanks, that cuts out some of the guess work. I'm still using up some VV N110, I like it because it shoots clean. These cases do streach, already have to trim some of the test load brass that I kept reloading 4 time and they went out of the 1.660 length. I'm still not at full power loads yet, about 5% under, but it shoots fine and just a little softer that the factory loads. Matthew_Q, Yeap, the bullet is .500, one of the factory loads is the Speer 325 HP. Used to use Midway but Midsouth beats them for service and price since they started charging for shipping (about .02 cents per bullet). The down side is that Midsouth doesn't handle Rainier Bullets which would save about .06 cents per shot. Waiting on my 300/221 to start loading that, bullets will be alot easier to find for that.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 6:18:11 AM EDT
Lee won't sell dies direct- I called and asked. Alexander Arms web site has published data. Go to HSG Division-.50 Beowulf-Ammunition and look for the loading data area.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 11:13:41 AM EDT
Thanks FB41, Got the information and checked out their site better. My dies are supposed to ship today acording to Impact Guns, think I need to cancel and order some bullets from Midway, they have the 334 grain hp priced at $65 versus Impact at $99 for 500.
Top Top