Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2005 11:16:18 AM EDT
Does anyone make a .50 BMG upper for an AR15? I know Armalite has the AR-50, but that looks like a whole gun instead of just an upper. I know there is a .50 Beowolf as well.

Anyone have a .50 BMG upper that can go on a standard ar15 lower?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:26:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I think this is what Im looking for? http://ferret50.com/graphics/photos/404023.jpg

http://ferret50.com/ordering.html about 2k for a .50 bmg upper? what are the quality on these?

or this one?

http://lgweaponry.com/ad_sheets/50bmg.htm
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:51:40 AM EDT
[#2]
try this.

biggerhammer.net

its a place to start.  just got together this weekend after a gun show with some local arfcommers and some of them were talking about the 50BMG uppers and 50TracerSpotter? or something like that.  biggerhammer.net is the first place to go or maybe the fifty cal vendor links page fcsa.org

good luck.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:42:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm liking the price on this one

http://www.watsonsweapons.com/50boss.htm
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:16:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
try this.

biggerhammer.net

its a place to start.  just got together this weekend after a gun show with some local arfcommers and some of them were talking about the 50BMG uppers and 50TracerSpotter? or something like that.  biggerhammer.net is the first place to go or maybe the fifty cal vendor links page fcsa.org

good luck.

Hijack Warning: FYI: There is a .50cal Spotter/tracer round.  It is about half length of a full sized .50BMG round.  It is most often used used (or was, it's been a while for me) on 106mm Recoiless Rifles and it was designed to duplicate the trajectory of the full sized 106mm RR round. A mag fed bolt (there may have even been a semi-auto version) action .50 cal tube (M8) was mounted on the main RR tube, a spotter round was fired and, if it were true to the target, the main gun was fired as fast as the gunner could react. An experienced gunner could tell while the tracer was still in the air and have the main round "on the way" before it hit. Range was about 2,500-3,000 yards.

Some shortcomings were that the spotter round announced to the target, the it was about to be tagged and, as with most all tracers, could be backtraced to the source.  These setups could be found on the USMC M50 A1 weapons carrier (named Ontos) that had 6 106mm RR mounted, three per side.  BTW, RR are not "recoiless" and the back blast was as fierce as being in front of the damn thing except there wasn't a HEAT round involved.  

The Ontos units used in VietNam were used to destroy bunkers using HEAT and HE rounds.  There was also a "Beehive" round that had hundreds of flechettes in it's projectile. It acted like a super shotgun and would clear a path over a football size with a single round.  As with most of these type rounds, an area clearance (permission from further up the chain) was required to fire off a beehive round to make sure "friendlies" were not in hte area. It was a baaaadddd ass round.

My apologies if that is more than you wanted to know.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#7]
http://www.watsonsweapons.com/50boss.htm

I was checking this one out more, how does the bolt work? You actually have to turn that crank to put the bolt in battery and to eject the empty casing?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:51:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I would avoid the Watsons Weapons upper.

Price might be right but otherwise it's a hassle to sit there and screw the bolt in and out for every shot.

The uppers that are popular are the Advanced Long Range System upper( I own one), the Safety Harbor Ultra Mag repeater(several here own them), the Ultra Light 50(again, several here own them), and the Ferret 50.

The Ultra Light 50 uppers are reasonably priced for the shorter barreled versions.

www.ultralite50.com/safety.html

www.safetyharborfirearms.com/UltraMag_50/ultramag_50.html

www.50bmg.net/006.html

ferret50.com/

Here's a picture of my own ALS 50 in it's case and out,

And a 3 shot test group fired at 100 yards with 750grn Amaxes with the mil-spec chamber(not the match chamber).
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:23:59 AM EDT
[#9]
cobb
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:39:13 AM EDT
[#10]
i own a ferret and have no complaints. Definitly get the fish gill style break.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:30:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been thinking about buying a .50 upper for a while.  The thing I keep wondering about is damage to my lower.  Will the recoil from the .50 open up the pin holes on my lower?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:33:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I've been thinking about buying a .50 upper for a while.  The thing I keep wondering about is damage to my lower.  Will the recoil from the .50 open up the pin holes on my lower?

No.

Most mfg's recommend a forged lower. I'd be leary of a cast of CavArms lower with a .50.

If you're really that worried, get a billet lower. But i used a standard forged RRA lower, and have had zero problems.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:43:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
try this.

biggerhammer.net

good luck.

Hijack Warning: FYI: There is a .50cal Spotter/tracer round.  It is about half length of a full sized .50BMG round.  It is most often used used (or was, it's been a while for me) on 106mm Recoiless Rifles and it was designed to duplicate the trajectory of the full sized 106mm RR round. A mag fed bolt (there may have even been a semi-auto version) action .50 cal tube (M8) was mounted on the main RR tube, a spotter round was fired and, if it were true to the target, the main gun was fired as fast as the gunner could react. An experienced gunner could tell while the tracer was still in the air and have the main round "on the way" before it hit. Range was about 2,500-3,000 yards.

More FYI, Watsons and others sell spotter tracer bullets loading in standard length cases for use in the standard .50BMG chambers.  Nice rounds for visual effect.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top