Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/19/2016 3:02:31 PM EDT
Hi everyone, I'm new to the AR world but am fairly experienced with other firearms so I am a bit "in the dark" on some information. Any help is appreciated.

I currently own a Del-Ton DTI-15 (16" barrel) in 5.56........I'm looking into building an upper reciever in either .450 Bushmaster or .50 Beowulf.

I'm trying to figure out 1) which caliber to choose (I'm having a hard time deciding)   2) if it will be better to buy a complete upper or build one   3) if I do build it myself, where can I find the parts (50 beo and 450 bsm barrels have been a pain for me to find)

Thank you for your help
-Will W.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 3:20:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 450 B and love it.. I bought it years ago when ammo was pretty much non-existant for 458 Socom and 50 Beowulf..

the biggest decision is ammo choices..    the 450b pretty much only has a couple hornady/remington factory rounds available in the 250 gr weight, but reasonably priced around $26/box

the 50 B ammo used to only be made by the gun mfg and it was closer to $40/box when you could find it.. and it has more bullet weight choices..

you can buy the bolt and barrels to build you won 450, but would need to open up the ejection port a little..

My 450B is a great Virginia deer gun  - sighted in correctly its +/- 2" out to about 200 yds.. with the proper hold over you can go 250 to 300 yds..  

good luck

b
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 5:42:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the input!
So essentially all I have to have is the barrel and bolt. Do I need to get a new bolt carrier as well or will the standard 5.56 carrier work with the larger bolt?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top