Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/26/2003 7:31:26 PM EDT
www.olyarms.com/pcr30.html
I think I might have to get one instead of a pistol caliber upper. I really like that it doesn't require the magazines to be modified.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 8:31:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2003 8:35:10 PM EDT by Lockedon]
RUN! NOW! DO NOT LOOK BACK! UNLESS YOU WANT ROUNDS THAT BOUNCE OFF CLOTHING (WWII stories), STAY AWAY FROM CRAP LIKE THE .30 M1 CARBINE OR ANYTHING REMOTELY RELATED TO IT, OR ANTHING THAT HAS BEEN IN THE SAME ROOM WITH EITHER THE RIFLE OR IT'S AMMO!!!!!!! This is the nicest thing i've ever heard about the .30 M1 Carbine (scroll down): [url]http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 8:36:06 PM EDT
I'd actually like one as well, 2 different bullet weighs from the 30carbine interest me. One would be a subsonic loading using bullets down into the 180grn weight range but yet still offer expansion(such as Nosler Balistic Tips) and then using 110grn Vmaxes at a moderate velocity to basically deliver performance a bit above that of a 22Hornet. The 300Whisper interests me as well but it makes use of 220-240grn bullets when it's in it's subsonic range, I have yet to see an expanding bullet up in that weight range. It wouldn't be that bad of a varmint cartridge for out to 100-150 yards.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 9:57:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/26/2003 9:57:39 PM EDT by AJjer_Bullets]
When you hear WW2 accounts of the M1 Carbine's round being weak, it's in direct comparison to the common rifle rounds (30-06/8mm Mauser), not all rounds over all. .30 Carbine may not be that powerfull, but it is considerable more powerfull then 9x19mm. The FA M2 Carbine was said to have stood very well against the PPSH41/43 in the Korean war becasue it's round was more potent then most pistol calibers used in SMGs, short maybe of .45 ACP.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 10:17:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Lockedon: RUN! NOW! DO NOT LOOK BACK! UNLESS YOU WANT ROUNDS THAT BOUNCE OFF CLOTHING (WWII stories), STAY AWAY FROM CRAP LIKE THE .30 M1 CARBINE OR ANYTHING REMOTELY RELATED TO IT, OR ANTHING THAT HAS BEEN IN THE SAME ROOM WITH EITHER THE RIFLE OR IT'S AMMO!!!!!!! This is the nicest thing i've ever heard about the .30 M1 Carbine (scroll down): [url]http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm[/url]
View Quote
I hope this is a joke because if not you have just proven yourself to be a tool.... I await your response before I crush you with facts to dispell this Bravo Sierra.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 11:04:11 PM EDT
I like the .30 carbine, it fits what it was designed to be used for very well. Bouncing of clothing?[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 4:02:40 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DevL:
Originally Posted By Lockedon: RUN! NOW! DO NOT LOOK BACK! UNLESS YOU WANT ROUNDS THAT BOUNCE OFF CLOTHING (WWII stories), STAY AWAY FROM CRAP LIKE THE .30 M1 CARBINE OR ANYTHING REMOTELY RELATED TO IT, OR ANTHING THAT HAS BEEN IN THE SAME ROOM WITH EITHER THE RIFLE OR IT'S AMMO!!!!!!! This is the nicest thing i've ever heard about the .30 M1 Carbine (scroll down): [url]http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm[/url]
View Quote
I hope this is a joke because if not you have just proven yourself to be a tool.... I await your response before I crush you with facts to dispell this Bravo Sierra.
View Quote
Glad you took this coocoo bird on DevL. I was going to do it before I got to your post, but I'll give you the pleasure[:D]
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 6:21:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/27/2003 6:33:15 AM EDT by Lockedon]
Please do...I've seriously heard soooo much bad things about the M1 .30, from so many different people. But, I don't have a personal problem with it, so i'm open to any other opinions/facts Edited to add: And Yes I was joking a bit
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 6:46:00 AM EDT
I can see why the writer of that remained anonymous. It's a festering pile of written dung. Its so full of assumptions and half guess's. SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 6:50:39 AM EDT
Wow, .30 carb bounces off clothing....... I have heard the same of 5.56x45 adn amultitude of calibers, it depends upon what use they see doesn't it? I have a Pal who was in 'Nam, he had to get rid of ammo that was toast for soem reason or another, so they just shot it off, M60 rounds, good fun, but the M16 rounds, he found them not even penetrating the sandbags.... When the VC used to rush the fence, the 5.56 rounds would not penetrate the explosive laden vests they wore. What did the soldiers do? Some got M1s and had hunting ammo sent from home, tohers used anythign with a heavier bullet, including the .30 carb. Sure is has a pathetic range, but within about 150 yards, it is far more than adequate. Hell, I use it on Deer and Elk, never had one get away, most just drop I love this cartridge, now I want an upper in it too [:D]
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 7:14:16 AM EDT
Originally Posted By shamayim:
Originally Posted By DevL:
View Quote
View Quote
Glad you took this coocoo bird on DevL. I was going to do it before I got to your post, but I'll give you the pleasure[:D]
View Quote
Put me in line if this beating lasts that long. [stick] I couldn't bring myself to read all of that diatribe; I stopped at the recommendation to use hollowpoint bullets because they were "less lethal".[BS2]
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 8:58:40 AM EDT
Has anyone personaly seen bullets "bounce off" clothing?At what range does this happen?Any voulenteers?
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 12:28:20 PM EDT
The experiences I've had with the .30 cal have all been positive. With softnose rounds I have dropped large hogs in their tracks. Its also my weapon of choice for big gators too, (oops did I say that out loud).
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 12:40:42 PM EDT
That article is like a train wreck. You wanna look away, but can't. He put down Fackler, and I didn't stop reading. He called the 10mm underpowered, and I tried to look away. I had to stop when he started talking about stopping power. Nothing like saying gelatin tests are useless, and then stress the importance of something that can't be measured. Nice.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 12:53:44 PM EDT
$654.00 for the upper....yikes.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 1:08:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/27/2003 7:43:10 PM EDT by brouhaha]
View Quote
Uhh...ok. You run. That leaves more of this EXCELLENT round to me. I'm not gonna sit here and debate this with you or show you proof, but you have seriously shown how susceptible you are to rumors. Do you also believe that the 5.56 begins tumbling the moment it leaves the barrel, and that if you hit somebody in the chest it might zig-zag down to their feet?
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 6:38:50 PM EDT
Everyone knows its only .22lr that bouces around in the body and can traverse at least 57" of tissue while doing so. Also lets get it straight.... The 5.56mm bullets do tumble end over end but only in 1/12 twist barrels then they "buzzsaw" limbs right off of people![rolleyes] The .30 carbine when loaded with the appropriate ammo can be as effective as most 5.56 ammo and works even better in a barrier penetration situation as it retains more of its mass and will still expand nicely while giving good penetration. Oh wait, thats right, wound ballisitics is a junk science and a simple math equation of energy is all we need to determine stopping power... so I guess if I posted test results of the impressive close range ability of .30 carbine that would just be a bunch of crap huh?
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 7:15:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By uglygun: The 300Whisper interests me as well but it makes use of 220-240grn bullets when it's in it's subsonic range, I have yet to see an expanding bullet up in that weight range. It wouldn't be that bad of a varmint cartridge for out to 100-150 yards.
View Quote
Regarding the use of the heavy bullets in subsonic loads, the key here is not expansion but stability. These long, heavy bullets are just barely stable when fired (in air) and will become unstable in more dense media (like flesh). They derive their wounding potential from that aspect. Even states this on the SSK website Regarding the .30 Carbine round, if it is so pathetic, then why is it seeing such extensive use in the Middle East? There is at least one Israeli firm offering a retrofit for this rifle and several other folks have already been asked to build ARs in 30 carbine for foreign governments ... The beauty of the Oly system is that it can use the original M-1 magazines, which means magazines designed for that round, and thus greater reliability. And as someone else stated, compared to an M-1 Garand, sure, it has less "power", but then again, you're comparing a Main Battle Rifle to a carbine issued to OFFICErs (stress on the OFFICE part). Similar in concept to giving whirly bird pilots an MP-5 "just in case" ... it can keep them alive until folks with MBRs arrive ... For what it should be (or is), it does the job just fine. And I, too, have heard the stories of the bullets bouncing off heavy winter coats in Korea ... then again, the lesser 7.62x25 Tokarev from the subgun was known to defeat armor ... Too tired to add anims where they should go Go with the upper, it is a nice set up and the round is great for what is was intended for MtW
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 4:46:38 AM EDT
The common thread with urban legends like the 30 Carbine bouncing off winter clothing is that you can never find anyone who has seen this first hand. It is always “…well a friend told me but he’s an expert”! The Carbine M1, M1A1 and M2 variants were issued beginning in WWII through Viet Nam to our forces as well as allies. They were intended to replace the service pistol in units that did not require a battle rifle. They quickly found their way into front line units and were very popular. The light weight and natural feel was probably a big reason along with the 15 round magazine. The 30 round mags and full auto selector of the M2 only enhanced its’ popularity. I have no combat experience with one, but I did take my ’42 Underwood to the record fire range and shot Expert with it alongside M14s. Haven’t tested it for accuracy, but I can say that I missed the 350 meter target whereas none of the 300 meter targets were missed… I would have felt more comfortable in Sunny Southeast Asia with a Carbine than with my issue M16 of that era. I would not purchase a 30 Carbine upper for my AR! Not as long as that sweet little ’42 Underwood is in my closet…
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 5:50:55 AM EDT
Well, I have info from a very reputable source (my father) who served in the Korean War as a signalman with the 3rd Inf.Div. and carried a M1 carbine throughout the war. He always speaks highly of the M1carbine and it's performance. He has never seen carbine rounds bounce off of anything but armor. He belives these rumors to stem from the fact that during the winter months, the N.Korean and Chinese forces' super heavy winter clothing would greatly decrease the effective range of the carbine as sufficiant penetration coupled with all the drugs the enemy soldiers were given would not yield great results. my .02 556mm
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 7:03:59 AM EDT
View Quote
Goat droppings, Sir!
Top Top