Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/14/2007 1:17:17 PM EDT
I am considering a .308 AR based gun and I am looking for options.

It seems to me that DPMS and Armalite are the two 'big boys', since RRA is getting sued anyway.

So my questions are:

1. Is there anyone else I should be looking at?
2. Are there any serious pros or cons for either Armalite or DPMS?
3. Do they mix and match? Can I put an Amralite upper on a DPMS lower and vice versa?
4. What other calibers can I swap uppers for on a .308 lower? (260? 300 RSAUM?)

Thanks in advance - this site is awesome! Been lurking and reading and there's tons to learn here.
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 7:10:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am considering a .308 AR based gun and I am looking for options.

It seems to me that DPMS and Armalite are the two 'big boys', since RRA is getting sued anyway.

So my questions are:

1. Is there anyone else I should be looking at? Bushmaster, it's been discontinued but takes cheap FAL mags
2. Are there any serious pros or cons for either Armalite or DPMS? Armalite invented it, costs more, but has a lot of recognition. DPMS has got an extensive (and growing) following.
3. Do they mix and match? Can I put an Amralite upper on a DPMS lower and vice versa?Probably not, but not positive
4. What other calibers can I swap uppers for on a .308 lower? (260? 300 RSAUM?)

Thanks in advance - this site is awesome! Been lurking and reading and there's tons to learn here.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 6:16:16 AM EDT
[#2]
My dream rifle, if only I could afford one:

SR-25
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 1:59:51 PM EDT
[#3]
fulton armory, cobb, pof as well.  armalite has a light gi style barrel available.  dpms is a great bang for the buck.  some have swapped dpms/armalite uppers/lowers, but they do not line up correctly.  dpms has a few uppers with diff calibers based off the .308 lower, and cobb has caliber choices with specific lowers.
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like DPMS is in my future- every other place is alot more expensive - I just need a launch point for a project, so basic is good for me.

Unless I'm missing something, I can get a full DPMS for the price of all these other places uppers. Of course they might be scarce, or take awhile, but I'm not in a hurry.

Link Posted: 4/15/2007 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Are any of the mags compatible?
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 9:15:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been researching this for awhile now, and I'd say 'probably not'. Some are proprietary, other manufacturers are using G3 style mags. Also the lowers for DPMS and Armalite are NOT compatible... I imagine its the same for all of the others as well... so not as 'build your own' friendly as an AR-15
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 9:28:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/15/2007 9:36:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I've also been researching.  DPMS has their own magazine, basically an enlarged version of the 223.

Armalite was the first, and most expensive, they originally used modified M1A magazines, but now I think you can buy factory mags from them, but they are not interchangeable with any of the others.

Bushmaster makes a good gun, and the mags are plentiful and cheap, but again, bolts and other parts are not swappable, and DPMS has lower prices on stuff.

I've been looking around for a well prices DPMS AP-4 and a buddy of mine has the 24" SS Bull barrel on order, we figured we'd get the same company gun and be able to share mags or extras if necessary.

I'm also waitng for MGI to finish their 308 magwell and barrel system for their interchangeable magwell lower, I am still interested in what magazines they are going to use.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Just a new piece of information.  I wrote Bushmaster about the BAR-10's that are still floating around, since they aren't making them anymore.  Bushmaster customer service told me that the BAR-10's will be 100% swappable with the RRA guns that are coming out.

Just some info in case anyone's interested.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 7:45:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Just a new piece of information.  I wrote Bushmaster about the BAR-10's that are still floating around, since they aren't making them anymore.  Bushmaster customer service told me that the BAR-10's will be 100% swappable with the RRA guns that are coming out.

Just some info in case anyone's interested.

i think i remember rra saying some parts might not be.  look through some of the threads on the bar308 or rra308.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 4:11:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Knight and DPMS mags swap. If you're looking for accuracy and a scoped rifle go with a custom barrel. I know someone who is starting to sell custom built rigs. They come with a .5moa load worked up and proof target.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top