Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/25/2003 5:09:17 PM EDT
Any preferences on 308's, officers at the range suggest Springfield, I like Armilite,pretty new to this,any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:34:24 PM EDT
It's all a matter of preference. If you like the AR-15 platform, then the ArmaLite AR-10 is definitely the way to go. If you like M1A rifles and the like, then go with Springfield. Each of these companies specializes in totally different types of rifles than the other. I chose the ArmaLite AR-10A4 as my semi-auto .308 and a Remington 700PSS as my bolt-action .308.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:09:21 PM EDT
10A4CN w/o blast enhanser. MNSHO. Dave S
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:31:33 PM EDT
If you like the AR15 platform and can afford it go with the Stoner SR25. If you can't get an Armalite or Eagle AR10 and be prepared to fix it before its reliable. I had to replace the trigger in mine. Others have had to mess with their extractors, dust covers, and magazines. Armalites Warranty is worthless in my opinion after dealing with them. But onces the bugs are worked out most are happy with them. Others have had better luck than I have had with Armalites Customer service reps. The one I delt with lied to me and thats not easy to get over. Another great option is the DSA FAL series. PAT
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:48:57 PM EDT
ArmaLite AR-10A4 with the standard chrome lined barrel. You can shoot your milsurp or move to match ammunition during those times you want max accuracy.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 8:08:34 PM EDT
My friend has the FAL, and loves it. I love my HK91
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:47:54 PM EDT
Just picked up a DSA STG58. Im very satisfied.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:05:52 PM EDT
DS Arms SA-58 Standard.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:24:55 PM EDT
well, unlike glock fan, many folks buy the ar10 with no problems. He just has a trigger control problem, but can't admit. Feel free to reconsider his opinion after you go the the ar-10 forum and read his threads. The ar10 is a fine rifle. TXL
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:11:08 PM EDT
SR-25 if your into AR-10 style rifles and are serious about having a great rifle. Just my opinion Id go with an M1A. I like the sights better than M16 style ones and it is just a Classy looking rifle. Just a note though some people who dont fire .30 cal rifles much find M1As are a little harder to shoot than ARs. I dunno, but buy what you want and youll probably be happy. Just one more thing, FAL type guns are great plinking guns and the mags are SUPER CHEAP. But its gonna cost as much as a M1A or an AR-10. Whatever you do DONT BUY ANYTHING MADE BY CENTURY ARMS. Sure $300 might seem like a good deal, but your getting screwed, they make POS rifles.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:20:58 PM EDT
I would suggest at least one of each...FAL, HK91, M1A,and AR-10. No that I mention it, my solo AR-10A4 (the only single of the bunch) is getting lonely.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:40:44 PM EDT
FALs ROCK. Very fun to shoot, accurate and mags are $6-10 for 20rounders. Get a FAL!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:47:40 AM EDT
Go M1A1 or FAL. I've never heard of AR-10s working well with converted M-14 mags (never mind the expense). Can't beat the price of FAL mags. Plus FALs are so easy to breakdown and clean.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:56:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/26/2003 1:04:54 AM EDT by Glockfan]
He just has a trigger control problem, but can't admit. END TX everyone who shot my rifle had it double or experienced hammer fall except the Armalite rep. The problem disappered with the new KAC trigger. The only ones not admitting the truth is Armalite. they they produced a crap trigger. And its die hard fans like you have a problem admitting their is a problem when over 30% of the post on the Armalite board are dealing with functional problems with the AR10. Also hope people check out your conduct and colorfull language when replying to me in the past. Again if you need instructon on how to shoot as a firearms instructor I can help you out. If you need help trouble shooting problems in your AR's I can help there too now that I am an armorer. So please don't lecture me about something you have no knowledge of. Feel free to go to the AR10 fourm and ignore my posts you will still see a lot of people who have had to work problems out of their AR10's. Armalites QC sucks face it. If you buy an AR10 do so knowing and expecting there to be problems. When these problems are cured its a good rifle. If you want a rifle good right from the box keep going right past Armalite. Now if you want a good rifle and don't mind fixing it then the AR10 is the rifle for you. Its a shame that Armalite makes the AR10 if someone else like Colt or Bushmaster did we would not be having this converstaion. Because it would be made right the first time. Armalite fails to do this. Its sad too because they have the capability. Some of their rifles leave the factory and never need any help at all. I don't know if they go in over their head and are rushing to produce more product than they can handle. Or if they simply don't care. No other company needs dozens of tech notes on how to keep their rifles running. Its like its a do it yourself weapons kit. Unfortunately the only other game in town was the SR25 while an excellent rifle better than the AR10 in many ways. It is also a lot more expensive than the AR10. So but the time your done fixing your AR10 its still cheaper than the SR25. PAT
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:09:33 AM EDT
I've heard rumors of a Bushmaster .308, are they just rumors? And I'm not famaliar with FAL
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 6:49:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/26/2003 6:51:56 AM EDT by M4Madness]
Originally Posted By Dodgeram: I'm not famaliar with FAL
View Quote
[url]http://www.dsarms.com/subcats.cfm?Category=01&storeid=1[/url]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 12:30:29 PM EDT
ArmaLite has had some QA problems. They are working hard to fix it. Most of their products are good, but as with any manufacture, a lemon happens to slip by every now and then. Problem with an M1A has existed for most of eternity with that rifle; how do you mount a scope?? FALs are good for plinking; again mounting a scope is a problem. Go with an AR 10 A4 and expect you may have to tweak it a little. It should be a hot number after the tweak. Mine is currently running a GA Precision .260 Rem upper and it more accurate than the shooter is!!
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 2:40:05 PM EDT
If you have the money, get an Armalite AR-10T .308. It's a damn fine rifle and very accurate. Hell, I even hunt with mine. [:D] [img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/pe4903a75914c19988f524ec080ef90db/fc257c38.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 4:56:03 PM EDT
I have a M1A and I recently put together an AR for accuracy. I have shot an AR-10 and I would say it is much more accurate & easier to handle. My M1A is a handfull, fun as heck to shoot but is a bit awkward to throw around if needed. IMHO Prosise
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:00:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Prosise: I have a M1A and I recently put together an AR for accuracy. I have shot an AR-10 and I would say it is much more accurate & easier to handle. My M1A is a handfull, fun as heck to shoot but is a bit awkward to throw around if needed. IMHO Prosise
View Quote
Agree with your assessment. I've had more than one of both the M1A1 and the AR-10. Like em both. But these are two distinctly different rifles.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 5:20:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/26/2003 5:22:10 PM EDT by PsyWarrior]
For the AR type platform, go with the Armalite. The original and still the best (IMHO) For Bolt action, I recommend the SAKO from Finland. OK, don't rag on the next part, but my mother has one that is 30 years old and still shoots like brand new. I actually prefer it for hunting than any of the rifles I own. Also, their new bolt has a locking system that is great for security. The safety is an easy thumb operation, the bolt disassembles easily for cleaning and Sako makes some incredible accurate and reliable rifles. I feel so strongly about the quality of this brand that I have already decided that all my future bolt action purchases, regardless of caliber, will be SAKO. Oh, BTW, this is the rifle I learned to shoot rifles with. I would rather shoot it than my fathers Mauser 30-06. (real mauser, not mauser style) Yes, they have nicer rifles than I do. That is why I use theirs as a frame of reference. (bolt action hunting rifles that is. I have the AR [:)]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:16:51 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Dodgeram: And I'm not famaliar with FAL
View Quote
A little reading fodder...[url=http://www.falfiles.com/forums/index.php]CLICK HERE[/url] I am gonna go out on a limb here, but the FAL just may have been the number one (numbers) issued rifle in the 20th century. Mags are $3-5 now... Post AWB sunset? 3/$1.00 perhaps???[<]:)]
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:24:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/26/2003 11:25:47 PM EDT by ZRH]
Originally Posted By 5subslr5:
Originally Posted By Prosise: I have a M1A and I recently put together an AR for accuracy. I have shot an AR-10 and I would say it is much more accurate & easier to handle. My M1A is a handfull, fun as heck to shoot but is a bit awkward to throw around if needed. IMHO
View Quote
Yeah but when you got to beat someone to a bloody pulp which one would you rather have. ;)
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 7:00:56 AM EDT
Glockfan, ever get the feeling people are pulling your chain just because they can? Anyhow - I never would pull someone's chain. No. Not me ;) Anyhow - if you're into .308 and want a battle rifle you could look a few places - but first you gotta ask yourself a few things: 1. Why .308. There's lots of reasons - what's yours? 2. Classic stock or pistol stock. The classics look mucho better and you get fewer odd looks from people, but I don't mind the odd looks. 3. How important is capacity? Do you HAVE to have 20rnd mags? 30? 40? Or will 10 be enough (5's plenty for me in .308). 4. Do you want a bolt-action rifle or an autoloader. This forum's ALL ABOUT autoload - but that doesn't mean it's the only way to go. You can get a decent 8mm (yes, it's not 308, but it's a damn fine rifle) from Mitchell's Mausers for about half what the guns listed here go for. 8mm ammo's not as easy to get, but if you load your own brew you can hunt anything on this continent with it. I might be careful around the great bears, but that's about it. Try that with .308! Anyhow - bolt-action doesn't mean harder to shoot, just takes a little longer to rack the next round. They're easier to clean and all things being equal will shoot as well as or better than an autoloader...
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:30:21 PM EDT
Looking at semi auto .308, not bolt action
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 5:22:27 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 6:51:33 AM EDT
OK, so you don't want a bolt action. At least that's one thing outta the way :) Gotta ask, some people just want a mil-type rifle... Anyhow. Now the question is do you want a 'plinker' or something that's built more for accuracy? Do you want an assault-style rifle with all the 'nasty' cosmetic features built in, or a weapon with more of a standard rifle stock? I'd go to a gun show and handle both, and see how they fit. If you're willing to shop around and pay a little more for a decently fitted rifle you'll probably have very limited issues with accuracy, if any.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 8:32:28 AM EDT
If you decide on the AR10 (like I have), you owe it to yourself to check out the special edition Armalite AR10 AR15.com group buy ( [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=1&f=122]Go Here[/url] ) The final configuration is still being worked out, but so far you can get either a 16" or 20" stainless match barrel, freefloat handguard with rails, flattop, option for 2 stage trigger and so on. Bottom price will be in the $1200 range. Personally, I really like the ergonomics of the AR over everything else I have played with, that's why I'm going AR10. Plus, I really want accuracy. My local range doesn't allow FMJ or rapid fire, so to have fun I like to shoot tiny groups with match ammo. I believe, and hope, the AR10 will fit that bill nicely. Once I saw that the 2003 AR15.com rifle was going to be the AR10 I knew it was fate [^]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:36:09 AM EDT
Try this one. Mk11 Mod 0 [img]http://www.isayeret.com/weapons/sws/sr25/sr25-1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:26:26 PM EDT
glockfan, if your rifle is so bad, why would you want to use it as sniperninja? TXL
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 2:04:22 PM EDT
Something more for accuracy, the guys at the gun store, who's been pretty up front with me, he has both, the springfield is the most accurate, I like the ar look though, I have a Bush m4 a2 carbine, the springfield felt real comfortable though
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 3:02:24 PM EDT
I'll put my little ar10t up against a springfield. TXL
Top Top