Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2004 6:23:11 AM EDT
Hey guys,

Would like to hear what you guys think of me using Federal Eagle 147gr FMJs for breaking in my 2 AR10s, shooting and stocking up. My thoughts are, the rounds are all new, semi-cheap, and I'm safe in the way of constant shooting out my stainless barrels. I also am thinking of sticking to this ammo if you all agree. I'm somewhat nervous of surplus, age, and reliability, and also storing it for many many years. I want to stick to the same ammo all the time, for everything.

Also.... in .223.....I have the same issue and particular "best" round to shoot, stock up on, and be as reliable as can be, yet still be able to be stored Long term.

I haven't even begun that assessment since the different weights and rounds are making me crazy. Comment on the .223 if you think there is a cheap, reliable, NEW round that would be most prefered.

Thanks,

Big "E"
Link Posted: 4/30/2004 7:17:42 AM EDT
[#1]
It wouldn't hurt to get some of that Blister packed ADI ammo.  It's 90 production and Damn good stuff.

It's priced good, and Diversifying your stockpile isn't a bad idea either.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 4:31:58 AM EDT
[#2]
IMHO for .223/5.56 ammo, you can't go wrong with either Federal XM193 or Winchester Q3131A. M193 mil-spec brass, powder and primers, proven reliability, top of the line manufacturers, seem to be the self-defense/SHTF choice of the experts.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 7:48:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I heartily second the Australian ADI ammo.....ONLY reason the Aussies surplussed it was that they cut up their L1A1 SLR's and have completely switched over to the Steyr AUG/Lithgow F88.  They kept all the 7.62x51mm onl links for their M60's and MAG 58's , but all the rifle ammo got surplussed to us.

Damn fine stuff!  And inexpensive!
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 11:03:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got around 2k rounds left out of 2400 rounds of the Aussie stuff, I got it on the stripper clips with bandoleers too.    I figure once I get down to around 1k-1200 rounds of it I'll stash the remainder of it.

It shoots pretty well at around 1.5-2MOA out of my AR10 A4.

I also managed to get some of the German Dynamit Nobel 7.62Nato ammo, 3 cans of it on 250 round belts.    Sucks to have to delink it but the stuff is also similarly accurate to the Aussie plus it's got that other sought after property where it supposedly is more prone to fragmenting.

Best surplus 7.62Nato I've shot from my AR10 though is the Hirtenberg stuff, only a 200 round battle pack and maybe 4-5 odd boxes remain in my stash.   That stuff was superb, wish I could have gotten more of it when it was only 130 or so per 1k.
Link Posted: 5/2/2004 7:15:20 PM EDT
[#5]
You  may want to stock up on some Hornady TAP, I LOVE this amnmo. It has a vey low drag bullet that gives a high BC. It is a match round that will fragment when it hits tissue and will shoot almost straight through glass. At one time there was supposed to be a group buy here but I guess the deal fell through.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I've used the AMAX bullet in my AR10 before and didn't have very good results, that was when the AMAX bullet was a more true VLD design.    Somewhere along the line they changed the ogive shape so it's a more conventional bullet design, may need to give them a try again.    I use the heavier AMAX in my 300WinMag and I'll probably try some 168s in my AR10 again some time.

Though, the best bullet my AR10 has shot to date is the 165grn Nosler Balistic Tip, leads me to suspect that the better performing factory load out there will be the Winchester combined tech. 165grn Nosler Balistic/Silver Tip.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 1:53:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I just picked up this ammo a few weeks ago and the bullet looks to be more of a VLD compared to the Sierra MK that we were shooting( Fed GGM) and it functioned fine through my AR-10. I dunno, it may be one of those YMMV things.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 3:29:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Here's a picture of the old 168grn VLD AMAX next to a 180 grain Sierra Match king....

The way to tell the old VLD based bullets from the newer ones is in the polymer tip, if it's smaller along with a more rounded jacket ogive then it's the newer design where as if it is a larger polymer tip with a straighter jacket with sharper ogive it's the older design.

I'll see if I can't get the old bullet next to the new bullet if I have some of the old bullets still kicking around here some place.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:21:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the pic, yeah the stuff that I have is a new design. It has more of a VLD design to it than the SMKs. You might try some of the new stuff.  Like I said it shot tighter than the FGGM on two occassions. Bothe ammo was from the same two lots and fired in the same rifle.
Link Posted: 5/3/2004 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#10]
   OK Guys.........   Don't be so stingy....

Where ya gettin' the good stuff ???   I have a "(T)" that needs some food....

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm   Good Ammo.........  Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Link Posted: 5/4/2004 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I heartily second the Australian ADI ammo.....ONLY reason the Aussies surplussed it was that they cut up their L1A1 SLR's and have completely switched over to the Steyr AUG/Lithgow F88.  They kept all the 7.62x51mm onl links for their M60's and MAG 58's , but all the rifle ammo got surplussed to us.
Damn fine stuff!  And inexpensive!

Search being down and my e-tool not willing to dig through every thread to find what I'm looking for...

Anyone care to second this opinion or throw a thread link that goes into more discussion on this particular ammo. Been drooling over the case that ammoman.com is selling but wasn't sure if it was garbage or good.

I'll be using it in my Remi 700PSS, but I'm not to concerned with a drop in accuracy as long as I'm on the paper I can work with it. I'm more concerned with it fowling up my hardware than anything else.
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 5:47:22 AM EDT
[#12]
The ADI ammo runs beautifully in my AR-10A4. 120 rounds this past weekend without a single malf. Nice, clean, accurate stuff.

Mark
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top