Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 5/4/2015 4:27:42 PM EDT
Good afternoon all. I recently bought a DPMS G2 Hunter, love it. Sighted in yesterday. Definitely shoots where I point it, but I need more practice pointing it. It's purpose is hog and deer hunting, and I've promised myself I'm not taking it hunting until I can shoot apples at least somewhat consistently from 100 yards. When I hunt, I'll be using premium hunting ammo that runs about $1.75/round. However, do you see any problem using cheap FMJ ammo that costs half as much for practice? Something like Federal 308 Win AE308D 150 GR. Ideally I'd practice with the same round I'll be hunting, but I sure wouldn't mind saving hundreds of $. Thanks.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 6:03:49 PM EDT
Just shoot the same bullet weight for practice/ranging that you plan on hunting with. It should keep you close enough. Before hunting, load up 5 rounds of your premium stuff and get zeroed.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:50:09 PM EDT
Reloading is quite an expense up front, but I don't have to worry about problems like this anymore. I can cook up a good, accurate, and consistent load at a considerable savings over factory stuff...especially with readily available brass in chamberings like .308.

Something to think about...
Top Top