BCM
Member Login

Posted: 12/22/2003 8:21:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2003 8:22:01 AM EDT by IronBalaclava]
I'm really having a hard time deciding.

I've owned 3 1/2 ARs.

Currently own two an 1/2.

2 M4s RRA and Bushy.

The Bushy is basically totally tricked out with Aimpoint/QRP rail grabber/ARMS #40A2/Surefire 660 tac light/AAC Vert grip and rail.

RRA M4 is plain jane.

Should I finish the Bushy project with the KAC RAS or Buy a new RRA complete lower for yet another build?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:54:06 AM EDT
I would get the RAS.

You'll finally be able to say the Bushy is "done" (at least temporarily), and be able to enjoy it immediately.

You say you have a Bushy and an RRA.  What's the "1/2"?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:27:30 AM EDT
Another Completed RRA Lower[whacko]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:01:09 AM EDT
You must have a "complete lower" habit. [:)]

Me - just the opposite, too many uppers, not enough lowers.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:36:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By IronBalaclava:

Should I finish the Bushy project with the KAC RAS or Buy a new RRA complete lower for yet another build?

View Quote

Perhaps it's just my paranoid mind working in twisted ways, but until I see that damned AWB expire and nothing try to backdoor in, the only things I'll buy and continue to buy are lowers, magazines, and ammo... RAS, SIR's, ACOG's, etc will still be there after September '04.  

If the ban does die and nothing rears its ugly head to take its place I'll have lots of lowers and mags, then I'll play with the toys... But if it comes to the worst case AWB scenario, I'll be glad I have those extra lowers and magazines...

YMMV...
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:37:35 AM EDT
ff ras or ras II
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 11:47:37 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DarkStar:

View Quote

Perhaps it's just my paranoid mind working in twisted ways, but until I see that damned AWB expire and nothing try to backdoor in, the only things I'll buy and continue to buy are lowers, magazines, and ammo... RAS, SIR's, ACOG's, etc will still be there after September '04.  

If the ban does die and nothing rears its ugly head to take its place I'll have lots of lowers and mags, then I'll play with the toys... But if it comes to the worst case AWB scenario, I'll be glad I have those extra lowers and magazines...

YMMV...
View Quote

RAS systems are cool, but I think DarkStar has a very good point here.  I have not yet been able to convince myself that a $350 handrail system is worth the expense for a dedicated defensive carbine.  I'm not saying that they are not a valuable addition or that I don't want one.  But the price is prohibitive for me at this time.  I feel the money is better spent on another rifle or mags & ammo, or both.  The $30 stock handguards still work.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:09:01 PM EDT
Daniel Defense fore arm over the RAS.
FF RAS over the RAS.
Daniel Defense fore arm over the FF RAS.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 1:30:01 PM EDT
BUY STRIPPED LOWERS, while you still can.  Get reasonable priced mags off EE while you still can.  Like stated above, all the other crap will be there regardless of the AWB outcome.

I my self have four stripped lowers and have begun to collect parts to build because when the AWB goes away, parts will be scarfed up fast, I plan on being ready.  Worse case, I'll build the uppers and use them on my Colt pre-ban lowers.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 2:08:58 PM EDT
IronBalaclava,

I have to say go with the lower.  I can not convince myself either to spend 350 dollars on a rail system.  
 Unless you have a ton of money another AR would be good to go.  I would go with a full 20" model to round out your collection.

[marines]

max
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 3:40:57 PM EDT
Originally Posted By DevL:
FF RAS over the RAS.
View Quote

Daniel Defense that good? I should seriously consider one for my Rifle then.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:25:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By MaverickMkii:
FF RAS over the RAS.
View Quote

Daniel Defense that good? I should seriously consider one for my Rifle then.
View Quote

I guess so. I love my RAS, and was thinking of going to the FF RAS, but now I'm begining to wonder. I've heard this before.

Can anyone post a link to a review type discussion on the Daniel Defense setup, or some good pics of there own ?

KZ
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:40:13 PM EDT
If you have $350. already you only need $19.00 more to get the #50 slim line bilevel SIR like I use. You don't have to worry about over heated and uncomfortable alum rails that you have to cover, just put rails where you need them, and a cool comfortable QD lower forearm.
My 2 cents worth. for a really advanced system, not just a bunch of alum rails you can't ever re configure and have to cover.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:47:29 PM EDT
Daniel Defense is almost identical to the KAC FF RAS.  The only real differences are the lower rail is lower so it has more of a shotgun or M4 oval feel to it and the KAC is totally round.  However the DD forearm uses an aluminum barrel nut and is an easy 1/4 pound lighter.  The KAC FF RAS (which I use) is not too heavy but if I had to do it over Id get the DD for weight savings.  As you add accessories you really start to look for ways to remove excess weight.  The only down side to the DD forearm is the lack of included KAC rail covers (but it accepts them) and the cost which is $350 vs $300 for the KAC FF RAS.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:40:04 PM EDT
Thanks for the replies fellas.

General Consensus says get the lower which shares the same reasoning as mine. I'll probably grab it this weekend before the Mich ARFCOM shoot.

For a rail system, it'll wait. I'm trying to get the Bushy as  "SOPMOD I" correct as possible. So it will be the RAS.

The 3rd M4 WILL be SIR equipped.

Thanks again.

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 7:47:27 PM EDT
Your welcome. WHAT YA GONA NAME IT?:)
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:14:41 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 3rdtk:
View Quote

[>:/] Gee.....Ive never named one of my rifles.....Big Black Bertha?

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 8:59:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 3rdtk:
View Quote

[>:/] Gee.....Ive never named one of my rifles.....Big Black Bertha?

View Quote

Right now I'm going through the same thing--trying to decide on a KAC RAS or the SIR #46C.
I know the Daniel Def. model and FF RAS are probably better, but I'm just not too sure of the barrel removal thing.  And there's not too many gunsmiths around here to do it for me.

Oh, I almost forgot.  "Sir, the private's weapon's name is Charlene."
-Gratuitous FMJ quote.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:07:26 PM EDT
A retarted monkey can barrel an AR.  Its that easy.  Id get the SIR over the RAS as the RAS is not FF if that was my final two choices.
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:13:32 PM EDT
A retarted monkey can barrel an AR.  Its that easy.  Id get the SIR over the RAS as the RAS is not FF if that was my final two choices.
View Quote

A retarded monkey?

Anyway, what kind of tools do you need for it?  Are there any sites/threads/etc. with directions that you know of?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:44:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By crochunter:
View Quote

A retarded monkey?

Anyway, what kind of tools do you need for it?  Are there any sites/threads/etc. with directions that you know of?
View Quote

the monkey thing, common saying is:
"a monkey can install the SIR model M, a retarded monkey can install the C model"

.. or did I get "C" and "M" switched?

check this thread for more installation info:
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=175681[/url]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:51:25 PM EDT
Thanks, just the info. I was looking for.
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:21:27 AM EDT
get the ff ras or ras II
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 4:51:59 AM EDT
Non of the others are better than the SIR's, just some are newer, not better, and in the most part not even in the same class.
Good shootin, Jack
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 8:19:58 AM EDT
If you are married get another lower so that your can have an excuse to maintain your sickness. As men, we can't allow any project to be completed, otherwise you will have to start doing all of the wife's projects. lol

If you are single,

flat top upper = get a RAS II.

A2 upper get = a RAS.

It is just that simple.
Top Top