Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/24/2014 6:38:14 PM EDT
Hi, all! I've been scouring this site, google and even all of the sponsored links on the home page of AR-15.com in the hopes of not asking a redundant question. I've been wanting a CQB rifle and considered a 9mm carbine to keep simplicity a priority as far as ammo purchases go, considering my pistol is 9mm. I decided to go with what I WANT; a suppressed SBR in .300 Blk. It'll be a slow build considering my minuscule budget.

From my scouring, I know that I must have engraved on my rifle, my name, location and caliber. I thought  it may be a good idea to put the engraving on the upper to ease the difficulty of shipping a firearm (the lower) to get it engraved. I haven't seen any like that, and Orion's engraving service has set locations on the lower to choose from.

I settled on trying to find a company that sells striped lowers, engraved with .300Blk, that can engrave my sbr info as well before shipping. Are there any that offer this that are affordable? It's my understanding that multi is not acceptable as a caliber. True? I found this company that fully customizes lowers, which sounds intriguing, until you see the $250 price tag on a striped, forged lower. http://www.shadowopsweaponry.com/products/246-ar-15-stripped-lower-receiver-shdw-15-m4-in-stock-223-556-ar-15-lower-for-sale.aspx

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. My slow build plan is AR pistol ( starting out engraved), to sbr, to suppressed. I'll be out for a few days, so any comments that go unanswered beyond tonight are not being ignored. I'll get back when I can. Thanks in advance and thanks for a great resource.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I would check the NFA section/Class 3. As far as the engraving I think it can be done on any lower, have you received your stamp yet? That would be my first priority as the ATF seems slow on returns right now. You can always build it as a pistol for now while you wait for the stamp.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:47:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would check the NFA section/Class 3. As far as the engraving I think it can be done on any lower, have you received your stamp yet? That would be my first priority as the ATF seems slow on returns right now. You can always build it as a pistol for now while you wait for the stamp.
View Quote

I haven't read the actual regs. on the engraving. I have on other sections and read debates on this forum on the interpretation. All very confusing. I'll check that out, but am somewhat sure you have to have the intended caliber engraved on the lower (it will have a .300 barrel). Maybe I'm confused. I'll not go for the stamp until I've got the AR pistol eventually built. That way, I'll first have a functioning firearm, then save up for the stamp. By that time the only thing the stamp will be good for is to install a stock. Then the long clime to a suppressor and corresponding tax stamp. Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#3]
The upper can not be engraved. it has to be the lower with your name, or trusts name, and location. Never heard of needing to engrave the caliber before. My understanding, but it could have changed, is the form 1 had to say the specific caliber you were making. Such as a lower with "multi" engraved on it. On the form 1 you had to put 1 caliber.

But like the first guy said, check in the NFA section for the most up to date info.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:08:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The upper can not be engraved. it has to be the lower with your name, or trusts name, and location. Never heard of needing to engrave the caliber before. My understanding, but it could have changed, is the form 1 had to say the specific caliber you were making. Such as a lower with "multi" engraved on it. On the form 1 you had to put 1 caliber.

But like the first guy said, check in the NFA section for the most up to date info.
View Quote

It seems I was correct on all counts http://www.atf.gov/search/site/Sbr%20engraving?page=1  Caliber must be engraved, and all info can be on frame, receiver, barrel, or slide. Your choice. The only requirement for the lower is the serial number.

I don't know why more mfg. don't offer their lowers in more than just 5.56 or multi.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:10:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link didn't work. I'm new to this. https://www.atf.gov/search/site/Sbr%20engraving?page=1
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:11:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Third link down.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:54:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Perhaps having "multi" AND .300 is acceptable? Just found this one, I'll just have to find a local(ish) engraver for NFA requirements. If y'all find any other good options, please send a heads up. Thanks.  http://www.tacticalmachining.com/300-blackout-lower-receiver.html
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:55:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:06:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s149.photobucket.com/user/Donr101395/media/ATFengravingletter.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s69/Donr101395/ATFengravingletter.jpg</a>

479.102 is here http://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf
View Quote

Thank you! I've actually read this in my research. Again, this limits my selection in lowers as most are engraved with multi or 5.56. I did find an inexpensive lower marked in .300, but it'd be nice to have more choices in logos and to have it engraved with other info before shipping. You know, one stop shopping.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:57:57 PM EDT
[#10]
There are 100s of 300 Blackout SBRs posted on this site. I have yet to see one that was engraved with "300 Blackout" . If it bothers you that much,  buy a multi-marked lower and have an extra line added stating "300 BLK".

For an individual Form 1, it would read as follows:

First Last (name)

City,  State

300 BLK

I would create a trust if I were you, it takes about 30 minutes.  

I would also get the lower engraved vs. the other stipulated alternatives. A registered lower can be used with all sorts of fun "short" uppers (like if you wanted to add a very cheap to build and shoot 4-8" .22LR upper down the road). If you spend $200 on a stamp and apply it just to a barrel or upper receiver, you are selling yourself short.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:03:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There are 100s of 300 Blackout SBRs posted on this site. I have yet to see one that was engraved with "300 Blackout" . If it bothers you that much,  buy a multi-marked lower and have an extra line added stating "300 BLK". For an individual Form 1, it would read as follows:

First Last (name)
City,  State
300 BLK

I would also get the lower engraved vs. the other stipulated alternatives. A registered lower can be used with all sorts of fun "short" uppers (like if you wanted to add a very cheap to build and shoot 4-8" .22LR upper down the road). If you spend $200 on a stamp and apply it just to a barrel or upper receiver, you are selling yourself short.

Thank you! Very informative. I'm assuming you're talking about a self-made trust? Have you done it? Cost? Advantages?

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:19:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are 100s of 300 Blackout SBRs posted on this site. I have yet to see one that was engraved with "300 Blackout" . If it bothers you that much,  buy a multi-marked lower and have an extra line added stating "300 BLK". For an individual Form 1, it would read as follows:
First Last (name)

City,  State

300 BLK
Thank you! Very informative. I'm assuming you're talking about a self-made trust? Have you done it? Cost? Advantages?

Free if you know how to get and use Quicken Willmaker. No fingerprints.  No LEO sign-off.  Faster to process.

You need to get it done quick though.  Laws may be about to change. You also need to bury yourself in the Class III section in the Armory part of this forum.

To add... Yes I have created my own Trust and I have a bunch of stamps (which legitimizes my above statements) .

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:29:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank you very much! Wisdom speaks volumes! One more question; when you get your sbr engraved, does it not destroy the anodized coating? What do you do about that?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:32:08 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Thank you very much! Wisdom speaks volumes! One more question; when you get your sbr engraved, does it not destroy the anodized coating? What do you do about that?

View Quote

Aluma-black

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:39:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Aluma-black  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aluma-black  

Ah, very cool. Thanks again. Very helpful!
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

First Last (name)
City,  State
300 BLK

View Quote

So putting a .22 upper on an SBR lower marked .300 blk isn't an issue?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Nope, use whatever upper you want on your lower...
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Nope, use whatever upper you want on your lower...
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It seems I was correct on all counts http://www.atf.gov/search/site/Sbr%20engraving?page=1  Caliber must be engraved, and all info can be on frame, receiver, barrel, or slide. Your choice. The only requirement for the lower is the serial number.

I don't know why more mfg. don't offer their lowers in more than just 5.56 or multi.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish you the best of luck.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#20]
As I'm going through this right now. The lower does not need any additional info engraved on it pertaining to caliber. Just your name ( or trust) city and state. You do have to give a single one on the form 1. Once submitted and approved, you may swap uppers as you please but the rifle should be able to return to the caliber you specified. If you'd like to change it, you may submitt an updated caliber/ barrel length change to the ATF. (Obviously you'd keep it another short barrel as you paid the tax.

http://forum.pafoa.org/nfa-class-3-title-ii-34/20540-sbrd-ar15-brief-guide-my-experience.html
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top