Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2005 11:09:00 AM EDT
Does anybody know of a chrome-lined .22 kit?  Ive thought about building a pistol caliber AR ever since our rifle range was shut down, but I want something chrome lined and has available hi-cap mags.  I thought about going with 9mm but I have so much .22lr ammo stored up that I figured I could last forever just on my stores.  Im looking for the most relaible and not the most accurate because Ill be using open irons.  

ETA What are the most reliable .22 kits that allow you to use your .223 barrel?  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#1]
If you must have chrome-lined and hi-caps, buy a Ciener unit and use it in a GI barrel of some kind--I'd recommend a 1:12.

There are BETTER rigs available, but that's not what you asked. This is what you asked.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#2]
So I guess 1:7 is a little too fast for 22?  The current barrel I have for .223 is 1:7 so I doubt thatll work.  Ok, what are some options that arent rediculously expensive?  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:07:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So I guess 1:7 is a little too fast for 22?  The current barrel I have for .223 is 1:7 so I doubt thatll work.  Ok, what are some options that arent rediculously expensive?  

Oh, you're much too late for that. A few years ago you could hardly give away perfectly good 1:12 barrels as everyone wanted the new thing, now everyone wants to build a "retro nostalgia" A1. I just paid $300 for a gently used former USAF top half and was glad to find it.

You might keep your eyes open for a used Colt SP-1 upper. These often go for a bit less due to the odd size pivot pin hole. Adapters are available to use the commercial upper on a standard milspec lower. You might luck out and find one of those around $200 if you keep your eyes open.

In the meantime, get the Ciener, stuff it in your 1:7 and see how well it shoots. Others have reported good accuracy with them, though I could hardly get anything to stay inside an inch at 25 with a 1:9 barrel. But you said accuracy wasn't terribly important so an inch or so at 25 yards indoors might be good enough for you. At least until you find a more suitable barrel.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#4]
So would a 1/12 SP1 upper like those from CDNN work well as a dedicated .22 upper?  They have them brand new.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:46:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:20:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I already own a ruger 10/22 and dont really like it.  By no stretch of the imagination am I a small man, so the stock isnt very comfortable.  My AR lower with carbine stock is probably the most comfortable rifle Ive ever fired because I can adjust the stock for different firing positions.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:35:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes an SP1 1/12 barrel will work fine for the Ciener .22 kit as that is what I used before I built my own upper (from a 1/12 barrel cut down to 5.5 and threaded.  This is my AR22SD PISTOL...MadDog(760)

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So would a 1/12 SP1 upper like those from CDNN work well as a dedicated .22 upper?  They have them brand new.

No. But it'll work pretty well, especially out to 25 yards or so.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:27:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Where is Rick Kuehl when you need him?    It seems there is demand enough for Rick to have become rich, making .22 barrels with the correct dimensions and twist.  Now we're scrambling for crappy, used 1/12 GI bbls that will still be less accurate than Rick's setups.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Thats not very helpfull, chief.  Not everybody can just buy a brand new upper when they want to screw around at the range.  Besides, rick is getting out of the business it seems.  (not to mention his design requires a specially modified Ceiner kit, which Im not interested in)
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Who said anything about an upper?  Rick sold just bbls as well and the price was fine.  How tough is it to screw a Kuehl bbl onto the upper reciever of your choice?
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I think you missed my first post.  I wanted something that didnt cost (according to http://www.kuehlprecisionfirearms.com) $285 for a barrel and I didnt want SS.  I think you missed the entire point of my post, Im not looking for a semi-auto tack driver, if I was I would refit my ruger 10/22.  I just want something so I can shoot the AR platform at indoor ranges because thats all that is available.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:20:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I have not tried a 1/7 twist (I don't have one ) but my Ceiner works just fine in my 1/9 bushmaster factory uppers . After you get it broken in and all slicked up try any of the standard velocity ammo. CCI standard,
federal match,Wolf MT all work fine and with my RRNM trigger they shoot better groups than I can hold.I get about 3/4-1" 50yard 10 shot groups off a sandbag rest with a good target scope. Sounds like just what you are looking for .I can't for the life of me understand how a rimfire bullet can jump 2" or so to the start of a 1/9 twist barrel that really isn't the correct size anyhow and still work so well but it does!
        The same uppers shoot groups that open up to 3" or more at 50 yards with some brands of high speed ammo so try a bunch of different ammo . (always a good plan with rimfires) . The PMC Zapper has shot pretty decent (1" or so at 50 yd ) and both the 38 and 40 gr seem to work as well
        I would recomend you try the Ceiner in your 1/7, it might do ok with selected ammo , If it doesn't you likely allready have plans to buy some other style of upper which can just as well for most uses be a 1/9 twist.
         The Ceiner 30 rounders are a blast but have at least one 10 round as the 30's are a pain to shoot off the bench . ( too long ! )
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:28:20 AM EDT
[#14]
So far with my M261 and a 1/9 barrell I haven't had any problems.  Except for the crappy Remmington bulk pack ammunition, my set up hummed along.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Ill be on the lookout for a 261 kit and if it doesnt work out well with my 1/7 Ill just put her up for sale and build a dedicated 9mm gun.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:19:06 AM EDT
[#16]
As far as I know nobody makes a chrome-lined .22LR barrel.  But I don't think .22LR needs chrome-lined.  At this point the only available hi-cap mags are the Ciener.   DPMS has promised hi-caps "soon" for about a year now.

Rick's barrels were the best deal going for a dedicated upper with proper bore size and twist rate.  The mods to the kit were very minor and you could still use the kit with the chamber adapter after modifying it, albeit with slightly harder assembly.  Now that the AWB has sunset and hi-caps Cieners are available again demand should be up for his barrels, so it's poor timing to quit making them IMHO, but that's his decision.  Sounds like he's out of your price range though anyway.

If you're not too concerned about accuracy I'd suggest you just get a Ciener for your existing upper.  If you don't need the hi-caps, then you could also get the M-261 kit or the DPMS kit.   If you want it to be as accurate as your box-stock 10/22 then I'd say get the CZ upper.  I've heard you can make Ciener hi-caps work in the CZ with a very small mod too.  

It'd probably be cheaper to just put a different stock on your 10/22 though...
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top