Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/12/2003 1:37:41 PM EDT
I'm sure someone has thought about this and maybe even done this. What I'd like to do is remove the barrel from my Bushmaster A2 upper and install an old M16 barrel, the one that Sarco sells with the triangle HG's, and insert my USAF .22 convertion unit into it. I'm assuming this is a 1:12 twist barrel so it will handle the light bullets far better than a 1:9. With my converion unit I don't get better than 5 inch groups at 100 yards in the Bushmaster barrel (20" post ban).

I want something with the same profile and approx weight as a standard AR-15A2 20" but that shoots .22. I have no interest in buying a dedicated .22 upper from someone, I want the fun of making it myself.

Has anyone done this and gotten good results?
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 6:33:41 PM EDT
I use a old 1-12 twist barrel on my dedicated 22 setup. I have never shot a 100 yd group with it. I would say go for it. Cruizer
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 7:42:09 PM EDT
Thumbhole, The 1:12 might stabilize better but I think from what I've read the bore is still to large for really good accuracy. But I don't want to dampen your spirits! It will definitely shoot.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 7:57:30 AM EDT
I have an upper I picked up on the EE. It is an old military upper without the forward assist and A1 sights. It is fitted with a 1 in 14 Oly barrel. It may be an early colt barrel, but unmarked so I presume Oly. Only change I made was to post ban modify it by removing the bayo lug and permanantly attatching a post ban muzzel brake. At 50 yards I get 1 inch groups with occaisional flyers out to 2 inches. Rested I can put a box of ammo through a single hole. This with both an Army and Ciener MK3 kits. Accuracy was no different with either. Certainly as well as I can hold by hand or elbow rested on the table. I have found that cheap ammo is the most accurate in this setup, the best being remington thunderbolt, second best Remington Golden bullet. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 6:16:24 PM EDT
If you wanted to make a dedicated upper,I think it would shoot better if you relined the barrel with a 22rf liner.There were instuctions printed in Am Gnsmith Feb 2001.It involved removing the cartridge adapter from the conversion unit.With the liner in place,the extra chamber space could be filled with epxoy and a proper chamber cut in the liner.This should give you the right twist rate and remove the jump to the rifling from the chamber adapter.I am considering doing this but don't have a shot out barrel to play with.Since I first considered this the DPMS and CZ units have become available at an attractive price. Robert.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 3:24:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/17/2003 3:31:16 AM EDT by AR-fan]
thumbhole, I think the way you want to go is the least expensive and will give you very good results. The barrel you got from SARCO -- was it one of the "Shot Out" pencil barrels for like $40 or one of the better, more expensive ones? I used a Ciener and an Air Force conversion unit and they both seem to shoot about the same although the Air Force unit has the bolt hold open feature and helped me practice mag changes for shooting in matches. I did get a KKF barrel and a barrel from kuehl and yes they do shoot better but doing it this way gets really expensive. If you get the whole thing together and you don't feel its as accurate as you wanted, you can send the barrel to [url]http://www.american-manufacture.com/[/url] American Manufacturing and they will put a 22lr barrel liner in it for a very reasonable price -- relining starts out around $80+. This is a really nice project to work on!
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 11:37:22 PM EDT
I used a similiar set up for my dedicated upper that I used for chief of guard bureau indoor combat match's . The 1;12 shoots 22lr alot better than a 1;7-9 barrel..never shot it at 100 but it easily held 1/2" at 25 yds.
Top Top