Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/20/2008 7:28:02 PM EDT
Ok i never in a million years would have thought a .22 conversion for my ar15 would be anything more than a gimick that broke more often than it functioned but after reading MULTIPLE posts ive come to realize its an effective way to eliviate that itchy trigger finger on saturday afternoon.  Does anyone shoot a coversion through a target heavy barrel?  Being that these guns are set up more for distance shooting and accuracy do you think it would be detrimental for me to get a conversion (probably the spikes because it seems to be the cream of the crop from what ive read) and shoot it in my gun.  Obviously i realize i would need to shoot a few .223 at the end of the day to clear out gas tub and prob need to clean it really well to keep from affecting accuracy but can yall think of anything i need to know.  Also has anyone at all had any damage in any way occur to their weopon from any of these conversions.  Budget is tight and i only got one AR so i would hate to shorten its life!  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 5:17:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Alot of the accuracy depends on the twist of the barrel. A 1 in 7 twist is too fast for the .22 bullets while the 1 in 9 to 1 in 16 will provide average to excellant accuracy. After shooting .22 rimfire through your target barrel its best to clean it before you attempt to shoot .223 through it. Rimfire .22 is not the cleanest ammo and it is always a good idea to clean everything before switching to .223.

AKASL

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top