Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/28/2006 10:33:33 AM EDT
Does anyone make .22LR ammo that is not lead nosed?
Who makes .22Lr ammo that is jacketed (copper, steel, whatever)?
Where can you get jacketed .22LR?
Is it a lot more costly?
Are there any major benefits to using it vice lead nosed?

What is the best or most reliable .22LR to put through a Walther P22?
What about a suppressed Walther P22?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#1]
CCI MiniMags are copper washed and cheap.  work very well with 22lr pistols that had feeding issues.  My brother has some Glock 22lr conversion kits that wouldn't feed worth a damn until he switched to CCI MiniMags.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:53:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I think that the Aguila are also copper washed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Got any links for places that sell this? Or is it fairly common at Wally World, Bass pro and such?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#4]
RemingtonGold buy it at wally world
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Remington and Federal bulk(550 rds), both sold at WW for about 9 bucks. The latest Federals aren't as hot, and might cause cycling problems.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:47:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I love the Winchester PowerPoints.  Accurate and very deadly (explosive) on small game.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:50:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I love the Winchester PowerPoints.  Accurate and very deadly (explosive) on small game.

And very hard to come by
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:32:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And very hard to come by

I have never not found them at the gun stores when I wanted to buy them.  I have 4 bricks in my garage right now.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:29:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Got any links for places that sell this? Or is it fairly common at Wally World, Bass pro and such?

Go to CCI's website and figger out which round you want.  Then go buy it at Sportsmans Warehouse, Cleatus!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:34:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I've done well with Winchester and Federal's bulk .22s in my P22, but Remington's loose bulk pack (it's more than 500 rounds loose in a box) just sucked in any autoloading arm I used them in, including my P22.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:48:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Last year, after years of not playing with 22s,  I bought a couple of rifles for my sons and I to play with.  I also purchased 2 P22s.  Like I said it had been decades since I bought 22 ammo and knew nothing about it.  I went to Sports Authority and bought a brick and it rang up @ $1.69.  Well needless to say I grabbed a shopping cart and bought all they had. 38 bricks.  It was Winchester High Velocity Super X Hollow Point and it does have a jacket.  
If it's still made I want to let it be known that it cycles in the P22s flawlessly.  I never gave the ammo a thought till this thread.  I am down to about 12 bricks and think I will use this ammo for the P22s and buy other ammo for the rifles.  
BTW, 6k rounds is not a lot when you have kids that practice rapid fire with quick mag changes.  40 rounds goes in about 15 seconds.  Sure beats suppling them with 9MM though.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:29:27 AM EDT
[#12]
What's a good place for getting P22 mags cheap?

Is there any reason you would not want ot put lead nosed rounds through a P22 with and without a suppressor? I've heard it meantioned that the lead will build up in the baffles and possible cause problems eventually... any merit to this and how much firing would you have to do to get to the point where a potential problem exists?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What's a good place for getting P22 mags cheap?

Is there any reason you would not want ot put lead nosed rounds through a P22 with and without a suppressor? I've heard it meantioned that the lead will build up in the baffles and possible cause problems eventually... any merit to this and how much firing would you have to do to get to the point where a potential problem exists?

I haven't checked on mag prices because I have a total of 4 mags (bought 2 P22s, 2 mags came with each).  That's enough for playing, seeing I wouldn't be using a P22 for carry or self defense.  When my son uses his after 40 rounds the barrel gets to cool while he reloads the mags.  If I see any priced right I will post.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 12:54:47 PM EDT
[#14]

I've never seen a .22lr with a real jacket.  All are plated or washed with copper or brass (Rem).  You want a real jacket you have to go to .17HMR or .22Mag.

My favorite is CCI Velocitor.  It has the thickest most consistant coating I've seen ever on a .22lr.  It is also the fastest 40gr available right now.

Shok
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I've never seen a .22lr with a real jacket.  All are plated or washed with copper or brass (Rem).  You want a real jacket you have to go to .17HMR or .22Mag.

My favorite is CCI Velocitor.  It has the thickest most consistant coating I've seen ever on a .22lr.  It is also the fastest 40gr available right now.

Shok

OK.  Just looks like a jacket and feeds like one.  What's the difference?  Thanks
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top