Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2007 10:52:01 AM EDT
Hi, All:
I am just getting back into shooting after several years of not being able to see, to shoot. I have a Bushmaster Varminter rifle that I have only shot about ten times, about five years ago. I have just had cataract surgery, and an implant on my sighting eye, and it looks like I will be able to see to shoot again, soon. My question is, what .22LR conversion unit is the best for the AR15 type rifles? Does anyone have any knowledge on the Colt .22LR conversion unit, and where would one find one? What has been your experience, using conversion units? Is it best to use a conversion unit, or a complete .22LR upper? I would like sooner or later, to get some tipe of AR15 sporter carbine, and use a .22LR conversion unit, or upper with it also. Any input on any of this? Thanks.
(Chubbo)
Lowell Sites
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:28:08 AM EDT
[#1]
By far the most popular kit is the Ciener with the Blackdog Machine mags. It can be had for $139 from different dealers and the mags for 25 or 30. For just general plinking you'll be fine w/o a dedicated upper. If you have the extra cash for a dedicated I'd probably do that. Do some reading in this forum and you'll kinda get a feel for what everyone else is running and how its working for them.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:58:32 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a ciener, black dog mags, and a dedicated upper.. you get much better accuracy with a separate upper.. BUT with a 5.56 upper you can still have a whole lot of fun and reasonable accuracy.

If i had the 'varmint' upper like you do, I would probably lean toward a dedicated upper I wouldnt want to take a chance with that upper..

Brian
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I find it depends on your accuaracy needs and requirements.  If you don't mind flyers and want to do some plasting and off hand plinking then the conversion kit alone works great.  If you want better accuaracy, fewer fliers and tighter groups then your best bet is a dedicated upper.

I have two Ciener kits (one in a KKF dedicated .22 upper, one for using in my 5.56 uppers) and a DMPS dedicated .22 upper.  I mainly use the non dedicated upper Ciener for blasting (pop cans at 25 yards) and stick with my two dedicateds for precise / more accurate shooting.

YMMV of course.

Good luck!

Brad
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top