User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/2/2007 1:10:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 1:34:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Are these going to be Ceiner compatible?  I don't have the Ceiner kit yet, so I'd need to know if you're planning on using a modified or unmodified kit.

If so, I'd be interested in a 16 inch barrel with standard threading.  The FSB isn't a necessity for me.

-Tom
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I am looking for 1 barrel  either 16 or 18".

G
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 2:08:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 2:27:50 PM EDT
[#4]
16 inch and maybe a 14 1/2 for the M16

Link Posted: 10/2/2007 2:39:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Im in for something lite weight and 16" or 14.5". For the ceiner kit. Chrome would be a plus but not a deal breaker.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I was looking for a couple barrels to build 22 uppers with. Will you have any idea on price and time frame by the Knob Creek Machine gun shoot in 2 weeks
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#7]
A 6" threaded 1/2x28 would be nice.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy a good quality stainless steel barrel and forget about chrome lining for 22LR.
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 9:21:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If so, I'd be interested in a 16 inch barrel with standard threading.  The FSB isn't a necessity for me.

-Tom

Same here....I'd like to get a 16" or 20" barrel.....FSB not that important.  For the 16", the M203 notch is also not important.  I could live without either the FSB or M203 notch.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 3:48:51 AM EDT
[#10]
16" with 1/2x28 thread for standard FS, 0.75" diameter, otherwise keep it simple and economically priced since cheap practice ammo is a reason for me to go with a .22 upper, and buying an expensive match grade barrel would not follow the economy reason  Thanks for trying to satisfy the market needs
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 6:30:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I have two Keuhl barrels , one 5inch one 10 inch- I'd like a 16-20inch long barrel that will fit Ricks ciener mod.Barrel alone is fine-I'll put it on an upper of my choice with rail etc. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 6:41:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 9:00:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I would be interested in a 16" lightweight or medium weight barrel.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 9:42:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
As of right now we are planning on offering the barrels only or as a complete upper with ciener kit.

Wouldn't there be value added if you sold a "barrel kit".  That is, all the parts for a drop in DIY installation, with a bolt pre-fitted and properly headspaced?

The user would remove their centerfire barrel/bolt and replace them with the parts you provide.  Everything wouyld have been pre-fitted so they can reast assured the assembly will result in an accurate, reliably-functional rimfire trainer.

Be sure to provide a barrel that is high enough quality to ensure accuracy.  The death of these comes when the rimfire version is inaccurate, unreliable or both.  Do not fall into the trap of false economy - the economy is in the ammo, not the barrel.  If the trainer iis not reliable and accurate it won't get used and you won't sell too many.  Your reputation will suffer.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a KPF 5" and love it. It's the perfect length for use with a car length FF rail and a supressor. If you made Ciener compatible Bbls, I'd be interested in another 5" and a 10".
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I would want a 18" barrel to build a rimfire clone of my JP CTR-02.  1/2x28 or no thread.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 12:45:27 PM EDT
[#17]
IMHO you will find the most demand for a 16" barrel w/ a standard FSB. And chrome lining is a non-issue on .22lr. And don't make the chamber a tight match type. Most people want to blast 500 rounds at a time. CLE and WOA have the match rifle market well covered.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 5:33:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 6:27:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 9:02:47 AM EDT
[#20]
I'd recomend having some 20" barrels.  Spikes and Rick Kuehl don't offer them (as far as I know).  KKF does, but you have to place the order and then wait for them.  It would be a nice option to have a company that has them in stock.

Brad
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 9:35:43 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Kyle:

As you know, I've observed this market for some time.  IMHO, what will sell in greatest quantity will be 16" lightweights, and 20" HBAR varients.  Perhaps M4 profile.  The larger market does not want an SBR or tax stamp.  What they do want is an accurate .22 that duplicates their normal carry or target rifle. I would leave the " exotic " lengths as special order items as keeping them in inventory could get expensive.

You guys know better than I but I'd have some barrels that mimic the service rifle barrel in weight/profile.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 2:06:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I just recently received my 20" A1 profile barrel from Kurt. Lead time was 11 weeks exactly, from the day I ordered it, until the day I received it. Will shoot it for the first time tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 2:55:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Kyle

Will these barrels be the correct bore diameter and twist for 22 RF.  Also when you stated they were for the Ciener kit, will they use the Ciener "Barrel" 223 shaped insert, or use a modified kit where the rifle barrel itself has a normal 22 long rifle chamber.  I would prefer a modified Ciener kit, if it doesnt run the cost up too much.  I am looking for something a lot more accurate that I get with a Ciener kit with my 1:8 barrels.  I would hope that it would be at least as accurate as a 10/22.

Thanks

Gary
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 6:31:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 7:46:03 PM EDT
[#25]
tagaroni
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 3:03:33 PM EDT
[#26]
16" or maybe even 20"
Threaded
Barell kits (with all the parts for a drop in DIY installation)
I would definetly take one

P.Smith
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I am looking for something a lot more accurate that I get with a Ciener kit with my 1:8 barrels.  I would hope that it would be at least as accurate as a 10/22.

See, long after the price (whether high or low) has been forgotten, what people remember about a unit is whether or not it's accurate.  Shooters rate a unit based upon accuracy and reliable functioning.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd be interested in a 14.7" lightweight, chrome-lined, 1/16, w/ FSB and threaded so I could permanently mount an A1 flash hider.  It would go great with a slickside upper for a lightweight set-up for my wife.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Kyle

Will these barrels be the correct bore diameter and twist for 22 RF.  Also when you stated they were for the Ciener kit, will they use the Ciener "Barrel" 223 shaped insert, or use a modified kit where the rifle barrel itself has a normal 22 long rifle chamber.  I would prefer a modified Ciener kit, if it doesnt run the cost up too much.  I am looking for something a lot more accurate that I get with a Ciener kit with my 1:8 barrels.  I would hope that it would be at least as accurate as a 10/22.

Thanks

Gary

that is one of the ideas I've been throwing around.  I have been considering having the .223 bore so that the ciener kit wouldnt have to be modified but having it rifled in 1/16 which is the "standard" for .22LR.  That way the ciener kit would be able to be used with the .22 barrel without any modications to the kit because I know of plenty of people who like to switch the kits between rifles.  So hopefully that would give you the accuracy that you want.

At this point, I'm looking for any and all ideas.  After all, you will be the ones buying it.  I want y'all to have some input on it.

If you use a unmodified ciener "chamber adaptor" you will lose accuracy. look at the distance the bullet has to travel BEFORE it actually contacts the rifling. That is a recipe for poor accuracy.

If you actually want to sell complete 22rf uppers you need to go with a modified ciener kit. If you include a unmodified "chamber insert" for use with a 5.56 upper you would cover all bases.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#30]
MtDew69

I agree,  if a modified Ciener adapter could be provided with a barrel with a 22 LR bore diameter of .223 instead of the standard .224 and use a standard long rifle chamber so the bullet doesn't have to make a long jump before contacting the rifling, accuracy should be much better, especially with the correct 1:16 twist.  That is what I am looking for.

Gary
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
MtDew69

I agree,  if a modified Ciener adapter could be provided with a barrel with a 22 LR bore diameter of .223 instead of the standard .224 and use a standard long rifle chamber so the bullet doesn't have to make a long jump before contacting the rifling, accuracy should be much better, especially with the correct 1:16 twist.  That is what I am looking for.

Gary

Actually I meant a standard modified chamber adapter.  Kuehl, Spikes and others use similar setups.

The actual chamber is in the barrel.

Link Posted: 10/6/2007 9:33:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Got to go with MtDew69 on this one.  If you are going to go through all the trouble of having a dedicated .22 lr barrel with a good 1:16 twist rate, why compromise at the last minute by sticking with a .223 chamber so you don't have to hack up a Ciener kit.  That's a lot of freebore before the bullet engages the rifling.  

The advantage of the Ciener kit is that you could drop it into any .223/5.56 AR and plink away.  In that vein, it's great.  But if you are going dedicate a host with a .22 lr barrel, the chamber adapter is a liability instead of a benefit.  

As to barrel length, I'd suggest 16".  Folks like me who would want a shorter barrel could have it cut and threaded to the length we want, and it seems to be the most popular barrel length for the non-NFA crowd.

Whichever way you go, I am glad to see another dealer taking an active interest in the rimfire AR community.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 11:49:11 AM EDT
[#33]
MtDew I agree, thats what I thought I was saying.  The picture of the adapter in your post is what I want with a 22 barrel.  

Gary
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 1:11:28 PM EDT
[#34]
height=8
Quoted:
I have a KPF 5" and love it. It's the perfect length for use with a car length FF rail and a supressor. If you made Ciener compatible Bbls, I'd be interested in another 5" and a 10".
\

These are the lengths I am interested in as well.  5-6" and 10" (for SBR and RDIAS use)
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:23:36 PM EDT
[#35]
16 inch with the chamber already in it. using the ciener kit with the chamber adapter.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:30:31 PM EDT
[#36]
The freebore jump with the chamber adapter will keep me from purchasing a bbl with a 223 chamber. Since i would only be interested in a 5.5 version the stock ciner adapter and the 223 chamber in the barrel would be pointless, and I would be better suited getting one from spikes at probally near the same cost as what you will be supplying them for.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:04:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Anymore news on this?
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:10:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/14/2007 4:57:11 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Kyle

Thanks

Gary

that is one of the ideas I've been throwing around.  I have been considering having the .223 bore so that the ciener kit wouldnt have to be modified but having it rifled in 1/16 which is the "standard" for .22LR.  That way the ciener kit would be able to be used with the .22 barrel without any modications to the kit because I know of plenty of people who like to switch the kits between rifles.  So hopefully that would give you the accuracy that you want.

At this point, I'm looking for any and all ideas.  After all, you will be the ones buying it.  I want y'all to have some input on it.

Kyle,

I'm the guy in TX that bought several kits from you last week. I build 22 uppers mostly using Ruger 10/22 barrels. I have used Shaw on special orders. The problem with using the standard chamber adapter(already addressed), in what you want to be a very accurate 22lr barrel, is the bullet travels a considerable distance before engaing the rifling in the standard adapter. The modifided adapter in a properly sized 22lr chamber will yield better results. The answer is two chamber adapters(already addressed). It only takes a few seconds to change them when swithing from a .223 to a 22lr adapter.

I have decided not to sell barrels only because of the likelyhood of unreliable cycling after assembly with various brand upper receivers by different people. No offense intended to anyone, but it only takes a couple of unhappy customers in this internet world to tarnish an otherwise good reputation. Everything that I build gets at least 50 or more rounds through it and it is not at all unusual to have to do some tweaking to get the desired reliability and accuracy even when everything is built as close to the same specs as I possibly can. Sometimes a little work on the muzzle crown can make a big difference and that can not be done without test firing. The blowback design is a very delicate balance of ALL springs' strength, friction and ammo power and consistency. Hammer springs are sometimes the reason people have cycling problems and often overlooked.  

As far as barrel lengths go, I've shoot thousands of rounds through a chrony with everything from 4" to 26" length.  Barrels shorter than 6-8" can change characteristics with and without a suppressor enough to change cycling on both semi and full auto. With most standard ammo anything longer than about 18" can actually decrease velocity and accuracy. There are exceptions, depending mainly on ammo, but that has become my rule of thumb.  

I'm not saying I have all the answers, but I don't mind sharing what I've learned either.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2007 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/22/2007 4:44:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Kyle

Do you have any news for us yet?

Gary
Link Posted: 10/22/2007 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#43]
old school tag for price, i would want a 16" SS and a modified kit, already have a 20"kuhel
Link Posted: 10/22/2007 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/30/2007 5:06:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/30/2007 5:34:14 AM EDT
[#46]
Sweet,I am interested in a 16 inch too 20 inch barrel for my rifles,And a  6 inch 1/2 by 28 threaded for my AR pistols,Cant wait too see what you come up with Kyle,Later and have a good one.
Link Posted: 10/30/2007 5:38:37 AM EDT
[#47]
I am looking at barrels right now. I would prefer a lightweight 5.56 chambered .22lr bored barrel with a 1/16 twist and 16" long.
Link Posted: 10/30/2007 5:54:57 AM EDT
[#48]
My 16" Spike's barrel will shoot 3" five round groups at 50 yards with a modified Ciener unit.

My friend's 1x12 Colt 20" barrel will shoot 2" five round groups at 50 yards with an unmodified Ciener unit.

Spike says he uses Shaw blanks. The first barrel I received from them had two tight spots in it. Within 10 rounds the barrel would be so fouled that bullets would start impacting sideways at 10 yards.

The second barrel has no tight spots but the extractor did take a chunk out of the thin spot in the chamber. A relief was cut and it seems to be working fine now.

Both of the Spike's barrels I received had the bores parkerized. I'm sure the pitting caused from the parkerizing isn't helping accuracy.

If I were to do it again I would just find and old 1x12 16" barrel and use an unmodified Ciener kit.
Link Posted: 10/30/2007 7:16:36 AM EDT
[#49]
I'd be interested in essentially a standard flat-top M4 upper in 16" or possibly 11.5" for my SBR with 1/16" twist for dedicated use with an unmodified Oly Arms kit.  Heck, I'd settle for a standard M4 barrel (barrel only) if it had a 1/16" twist rate.

I realize it'd be best to go with some type of modded kit for dedicated use but I don't think I'm ready to drop centerfire money into a rimfire.  I'd like to just plug my Oly kit into an upper or barrel and go.  I really just need the twist rate as I'd like a little more accuracy than I can get out of my 1/7s but don't need dead-on-fly-nuts accuracy.

FWIW,
Scott
Link Posted: 10/30/2007 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Interesting idea. If you want to have sales you will need to sell what average joe blow wants and can afford. That to me means 16" and 20" 1:16 twist barrels that use the unmodified kit. There are a awful lot of ciener kits out there already and most are going to be shooting the value packs of ammo so the inaccuracy due to bullet jump is less of a concern. The proper 22 bore and twist will help the most and if you go with hbar contour they can chop and profile to anything needed. I am sure Wilson will put a cone leading into the rifling so it should work fine and be a relatively inexpensive barrel to make. The less you fool with the product the better your return. Let Wilson work out the barrel details and Ciener already has their product so you will only need to sell kits and do some upper assembling. There...all you have to do now is set back and make a bunch of money.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top