Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2002 5:17:25 PM EDT
Looking for a good place to buy snap caps and dummy rnds to dry fire and test feeding. Info guys?

JIM
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Try MidwayUSA.com.

They should have everything you need.

Ed
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Brownell's carries A-Zoom, which are probably the best. I think Lyman owns them now. CNC machined from aluminum. Should last a long time.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 5:37:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Dummy rounds have nothing in the primer pocket and often a hole drilled in the side of the case.  Find someone who reloads and have him drill out the case and make up whatever number you need.  

You can also sometimes find 5.56mm M199, or M232 Dummy at gun shows.

Plastic snap caps don't work well many times.
Nor is there a reason to use them in this rifle for any purpose.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 6:08:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought the primer pockets had spring loaded "primers" in them...?
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
 Nor is there a reason to use them in this rifle for any purpose.
- Chuck

Could you expand on this?  As a target shooter and hunter I find this to be an odd statement.  I do find them least easy to use in the AR rifle, but as usefull as any other.
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#6]
If you want do dry fire just pull the trigger, you don't need anything in the chamber.  

Snap caps prey on the misinformation that dry firing is harmful to these firearms.  It may be on some very fragile firearms, but not these.  If you fear for your firing pin buy a spare.  You'll never need it but you'll have one.  

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 2:18:01 PM EDT
[#7]
My AR bolt carrier usually seizes up after a few shots any way so I should never need a new firing pin.

I do find them very useful in bolt guns if not just to keep the follower down so you can cock the gun in the proper manor.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top