Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 5:18:36 AM EDT
i'm working through an issue with a 50 beowulf right now and a buddy overheard me bitching about my ar pistol/50 beowulf build up problems.  that sparked conversation.  he's building a varmit ar and he asked me about the Genghis.  i've done a little research, but found little.  can anyone shed some light on this?  i'm looking for ballistic tables and data to compare to the 40, 50, and 52 grain stuff we run through our ar's when going out west.  it might be a great varmit round....  

i know almost nothing about this round.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

-michael

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:37:46 AM EDT
[#1]
IIRC thats just a fancy way to say 5.45x39
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:48:18 AM EDT
[#2]
you're telling me the ".21 Genghis" is the 5.45x39 Russian?

just about the time i think i'm catching up to all of you i ask something like this publically...

hanks...
head.gif
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:36:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Velocities are in the ballpark of the 222 Remington.
The original design uses a metric VLD bullet.
Some folks actually load for this chambering using resized 221 Fireball brass and swaging 223 bullets to 5.45.
With a bullet design like the AMAX it would make a good 223 class varmit cartridge, if you had the time and motivation.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:32:25 PM EDT
[#4]
If you can find a complete upper at a good price, let me know.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:54:16 AM EDT
[#5]
i understand Alexander Arms sells the uppers or complete rifles.  i've talked to them about other calibers and they've been super helpful.

you might try their website to start with:

www.alexanderarms.com

-michael

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the heads up.  The last time I was at their website, it sure didn't look like that.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:33:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes, .21 Genghis = 5.45x39mm Russian = same thing.

Tsh77769
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:28:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had one for a while now & really like it.  Just use it for informal plinking, thus the el cheapo Wally World optic & laser...

I put it together on a whim, in part because I have several AKs in that chambering.

You can use USGI mags, just make sure they have the old "tilting"  (IOW, not the anti-tilt) followers.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 4:27:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I've had one for a while now & really like it.  Just use it for informal plinking, thus the el cheapo Wally World optic & laser... href=i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20ARs/21Ghengis-left.jpg

I put it together on a whim, in part because I have several AKs in that chambering.

You can use USGI mags, just make sure they have the old "tilting"  (IOW, not the anti-tilt) followers. hr

so the followers with a couple of "rails" about inch long hanging off their underside are a no no?  why don't they work?

-mikes

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:54:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
so the followers with a couple of "rails" about inch long hanging off their underside are a no no?  why don't they work?

-mikes

This round has a more tapered profile than 5.56mm, i.e. a little "tilting" is a good thing - allows more rounds to load and feed reliably.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:29:00 PM EDT
[#12]
fair enough.

thanks.

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top