Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2003 4:43:35 PM EDT
Well, has anybody made an upper for the .17 HMR yet?  It would be a pretty neat deal if they do.  If you know of any, let me know.

D.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Below is a response posted to my want of the same upper (I think, it may be a .22Hornet he refers to):

There seem to be some technical issues with boring the .17 barrels or so I've read.  One thing that may be a detrament to the caliber is fouling due to the bore and subsequent decreased accuracy.  Of course I'm just guessing.  I spoke to the good folks at J.A. Ciener about it and they were pretty tight lipped.  Most importantly they didn't say no!

Seriously if you have a bunch of money to throw at the project I'm sure someone would do it.  
I'm going to build a .22lr up.  Just started ordering stuff yesterday.  Maybe next year I'll go for the .17...
Until then hope springs eternal

"Quarterbore and rocketman 223:

Your request has been received and processed. I've seen the prototype, but not the production sample yet. It has a magwell block and uses Marlin mags.

We also have a 22mag upper in the works too.

We're trying guys to get the stuff people want.

Jeff

660-248-2293
www.cmmginc.com
[email protected]"

Link Posted: 7/20/2003 2:21:28 PM EDT
[#2]
[url=ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=154649]Tromix AR15 calibers[/url]
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 3:44:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I had noticed that Bushmaster had accuired the Professional Ordnance Carbon fiber AR equipment so I e-mailed Jarrod and asked if they knew that Pro Ordance had built a .17 HMR upper just before they went under and would Bushmaster be bringing it out. I don't have the reply on this PC but basically he said they were looking into it and may be bringing out either a 22 magnum upper or a .17 HMR upper some time in 2004. My only problem is the Pro Ordnance .17 HMR upper only worked on their carbon fiber lower and I think that means it won't work on a standard AR lower. I hope Bushmaster goes for the standard AR design.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 4:46:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 6:14:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Jeff,
  This is funny -- I just built an upper based on a modified M261 USGI conversion unit, flattop receiver and a Colt 1/12 pencil barrel that shoots the 22 magnums and I use the Marlin magazines. The mags only hold 7 shots but it only takes one to stop a varmint. I found the Marlin magazines at a gun show and thought they would work due to their straight and simple design. This was just an exercise to see if I could get it to work and it turned out to be fun to shoot. I would prefer a factory upper in 22 magnum or .17 HMR due to fact that the parts for my upper are one of a kind and would be difficult to reproduce if they broke on me. It is a lot more energetic than most people would suspect with a nice little recoil to let you know you're shooting more than a .22lr. I would love to see CMMG's uppers.
PLEASE let us know when you get them and run a test on them for us.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I've never seen a .17 AR upper first hand, but the .17 HMR 10/22 is a real shooter!  
Link Posted: 7/23/2003 8:15:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I just thought I'd bring back near the top so I could keep an eye on it. CMMG says it may be another week or so before they get the samples.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 5:00:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Back to the top!

CMMG, have you seen any production samples of the 22 magnum upper or a 17 HMR upper yet?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top