Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/25/2004 9:40:57 AM EDT
Saw a 16 inch colt, a2 fs, telescopic stock, straight barrel for 1450 u.s.
This is getting really really really out of hand, who'd pay that much for a new colt?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:41:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh yeah, this was at a GUNSHOP, they just got it in.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:46:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Some gun shops are just plain crooks......I have one near my house.  I made the mistake of stopping there one time.  All of his prices were $100-$200 more than anyone else's.  He claims that he is the only one that carries the "hard to get" stuff.  I say B.S.  Shop around!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:47:57 AM EDT
[#3]
When dumb ass people stop paying it!  We have a huge control over prices.  The gunshop markup is terrible, if we stop paying those prices, they will either lower their prices, or they will go out of business.  It is as simple as that.  We have the control people, use it!

Let me also say, that I beleive strongly in profit!  But come on a $600 profit from the manufacture, lets get real here.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
When dumb ass people stop paying it!  We have a huge control over prices.  The gunshop markup is terrible, if we stop paying those prices, they will either lower their prices, or they will go out of business.  It is as simple as that.  We have the control people, use it!

Hit the nail right on the head. As the saying goes: Theres a sucker born every minute. Well with all the suckers out there it might be even more often now.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:12:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
When dumb ass people stop paying it!

Truer words have never been stated.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#6]
At the fun show today was a "preban" Colt SP1 turned carbine with pencil barrel. It had light surface rust covering everything but the upper and lower receiver. The telestock was shot, the tube had surface rust, the castle nut, the end plate, ect. The flash suppressor was rusted to hell and the receivers were faded from allot of handling. Gouges, ect.

He wanted 1400 for a $300 AR15.

It was unreal.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:15:54 AM EDT
[#7]
How about $50.00 for a used metric fal mag. Reasonable?hock.gif
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#8]
what I've alway said.....gun shops are the greatest threat to gun ownership!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:53:41 AM EDT
[#9]
when people finally realize that colt is ripping them off and at the same time restricting sales,

driving price on thier products by lowering supply buy keeping demand at the same level

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#10]
There are some scumbag gun dealers in the country.   These guys are probably pissed that they never sold their 'preban' SP1s for $2500, so they want to make up for it by selling $1000 rifles for $1500.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Saw a Carbine NIB for $950 and another NIB for 1050 at gun show today.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:16:41 PM EDT
[#12]
When people realize colt is not special.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#13]
At the local Gun Show there was a Guy selling Colt Stamped with LEO only.  Not exactly sure which model it was.  Started at 800 and went up depending on the accessories you wanted.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:31:24 PM EDT
[#14]
One of the dealers near me has em for 900 buks:

http://www.kiesler.com/catalog/WEBPriceGuide.pdf (page 3, right side)
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#15]
A couple of years ago I bought a NIB green label AR-15 A2 for $1350.  I was sorta sick about paying that much, but hey its a Colt and they offer them any more.  I suppose it has some collectors potential.  

I asked my gun dealer to order me a Bushmaster XM15 no-ban with telestock, etc..  He said it will take about 60-90 days and $840.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:17:26 PM EDT
[#16]

when is this going to stop?

Interesting question.  Most of the LEO Colts that people are buying were bought by the stores under the LEO program, so they were getting the weapons cheaper.  Colts new stance my provide for interesting changes, but as long as people are stupid enough to pay those prices, they will remain.

If every gun owner walked in and told the owner of the shop that his price was obscene, we would see things level out.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:39:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
This is getting really really really out of hand, who'd pay that much for a new colt?
hr

Its called supply and demand, let it chill for a month or two and the prices should be down to the $1000 range.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:46:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm going to the gun show tomorrow, for the sole purpose of "playing dumb" at the $2K+ preban dealers' tables. "What ban does this fall under? When does that expire again?"

Example, one dealer there has a colt SP1 carbine, stock except for the El Cheapo $30 scope on the CH. He's wanted $1800 for that thing for 3 years now, no negotiation. I'm going to walk up to his table with a noban and chuckle.

When the ban dropped, we just sent out every Post-configured AR15 in the store to our CNC shop to have the muzzles threaded, and installed A2 flashiders. Our customers like the idea.

J.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Example, one dealer there has a colt SP1 carbine, stock except for the El Cheapo $30 scope on the CH. He's wanted $1800 for that thing for 3 years now, no negotiation. I'm going to walk up to his table with a noban and chuckle.

I wouldn't be that coy...

I think I would just say, "still trying to get 1800 out of it?" while doing it in a ton to suggest he should be growing donkey ears and a tail.

Better yet, make a carefully crafted cartoon to post on the outside gate of the gunshow before entering.    One of a donkey trying to sell "preban" rifle configurations such as the SP1 for outrageous prices.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
when people finally realize that colt is ripping them off and at the same time restricting sales,

True!

Remember that when Colt gets in to $$ trouble again!
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

J.

He probably increased the price since it's now a 'rare preban' SP1: "they don't make them like this anymore."

I used to go to a lot of gun shows and you see idiots like this ALL the time.  The same morons will have the same gun for years.  Same with the mag sellers.  Guys selling preban (before the ban expired) Glock mags for $125.  Even worse, they'd have 'rarer' mags like MP5 mags, AUG mags, etc. for $150+.  How many friggen AUGs are there?  Not many, so do they really think some sucker with an AUG is going to stumble upon their table some day and buy all their AUG mags at $150 each???

These guys need to take a business class.  I almost think they ENJOY paying $50 a table every weekend so they can haul around the same shitty over-priced guns year after year.  I guess it's a hobby to post "DO NOT TOUCH" signs and act arrogant to your potential customers, all while telling stories of your 'glory days' as a Navy Delta Force SEAL in Desert 'Nam II to any teen dressed in full camo with a Blackhawk vest who happens to stumble across your table.  (Sorry for the run on sentence)

Like someone said, bad dealers ARE a threat to gun owners.

On the other hand, some guys really know how to do business.  Price the guns right and you will move them fast.  One of my local gun stores gets the picture, and he moves guns fast.  And I used to see a guy (when I lived in KS) who always had a great selection of black rifles, including some 'exotics'.  The guy always had a new set of guns at each show because he priced fair.

Would you rather sell 10 guns in one day and make $100 profit each, or mark ONE gun up $1000 and sit on it for a year hoping you find a sucker?
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#22]
where are all these guns for 1000 dollars or less ? simply put I wanted a colt with all of the feature of a m4 or as close as I could get! yea I know I could get a bushy or rra or any other copy and they might be better cheaper faster and I guess I'm a great big sucker for paying to much but I got want I wanted and I'm happy with it!  you can get one for 840 bucks why not get them for dealer cost It's really not very hard to get a ffl so get one and sell them at cost !   to all of your freinds or buddy who post here . How about gas prices ? if we quit driving and buying gas will the price drop? let's all quit paying our insurance premiums for 2 months and see if the price of insurance drops ! come on  supply and demand  thats what makes the world go around .hock.gif
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:03:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

It will stop when people once again realize that among Bushmaster, ArmaLite/Eagle, Colt, Rock River, and Olympic all you are paying for is a name...

Untill then, certain Colt products will be 'must have' for certain folks...
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 9:14:51 PM EDT
[#24]
There is a gunshop in N. IL asking $2400 for a preban Colt.  Yes, you read that price right!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top