Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/2/2006 3:54:33 PM EDT
Well, I'm finally getting an ACOG next week (hopefully that's when it will arrive).  I'd like to use the tip of the triangle to engage targets at longer ranges intended for this carbine (150-200m).  If I zero the scope using the tip at this range, will I still be able to just place the body of the triangle on target at close range?  I have no experience yet with this scope, so just curious.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated guys.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#1]
i have the ta47 which is 2x and i zero it at 50yds
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I mount a TA 47-2 on my carry handle and also zero at 50 yards.  It works well anywhere from 25 yards to about 250 yards with the tip of the triangle (minute of man not minute of angle).  Inside of 25 yards, I start using the body of the triangle.  At 10 yards and in, I use the space between the triangle and the black verticle reference line.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:09:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Good deal, I'm gathering that the difference in power shouldn't be a problem either.  I'm really looking forward to playing with it; hopefully it arrives this week.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:31:22 AM EDT
[#4]
my little TA44 (mounted on carry handke) is zeroed at 100m and at 50 works great
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:16:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well, I'm finally getting an ACOG next week (hopefully that's when it will arrive).  I'd like to use the tip of the triangle to engage targets at longer ranges intended for this carbine (150-200m).  If I zero the scope using the tip at this range, will I still be able to just place the body of the triangle on target at close range?

Those are great scopes, I ran with one for several years.

IMHO the best deal with the scope was to zero with the tip at 50y if mounted on a flattop.  That gave you a precision aiming point (better then crosshairs IMHO) and the bullet stayed within 2" of that tip all the way out to 225y.

However at CQB you just put the triangle on the target and round would generally striked someplace within the triangle (depends on the size of your triangle).

If you're mounting the scope on a carry handle, then zero at 75y.  It changes the offset up close (say out to 25 y) but the flat portion of the trajectory gets moved out a bit further.  With a bit of hold over you can engage targets to 500m using that zero.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 9:53:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I got the ACOG today, and I'll go to the range tomorrow to zero/play with it.  I'll follow the advice you guys gave me and zero at 50.  Thanks a lot guys.

Oh, do you guys use loctite when attaching it to the carry handle?  If so, which color?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:07:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well, I got the ACOG today, and I'll go to the range tomorrow to zero/play with it.  I'll follow the advice you guys gave me and zero at 50.  Thanks a lot guys.

Oh, do you guys use loctite when attaching it to the carry handle?  If so, which color?

Yes I used loctite.  Conventional wisdom is to avoid using red and use the blue instead which is what I did...
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:34:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Blue for the carry handle.

But if you're zeroing in a carry handle - do it at 75 yards, not 50.  You're Height-Over-Bore is greater than a flatop mount.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:05:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I guess I need to rezero then.  Just got in from the range, and I zeroed at 50.  I'll go back on Sat.  I was planning to anyway, and this just gives me an excuse-as if I needed one.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top