Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2015 11:24:17 PM EST
I purchased some of this from AIM on their Black Friday special. Right now I'm waiting to get my .308. I understand that this isn't match ammo and I highly doubt I'll be able to shoot MOA with it. Anybody have it? I've read some places online that say it's amazing for the price. Others say it's garbage and can't even be reloaded. My main purpose is to have it stocked as well as to take it out and shoot coyotes at some distance without pay $1 a round. Do you think guys think I should keep it Oreo you think is hound cancel my order?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:34:02 PM EST
Originally Posted By spizike9:
I purchased some of this from AIM on their Black Friday special. Right now I'm waiting to get my .308. I understand that this isn't match ammo and I highly doubt I'll be able to shoot MOA with it. Anybody have it? I've read some places online that say it's amazing for the price. Others say it's garbage and can't even be reloaded. My main purpose is to have it stocked as well as to take it out and shoot coyotes at some distance without pay $1 a round. Do you think guys think I should keep it Oreo you think is hound cancel my order?
View Quote
What gun are you shooting them in?
Out of a 22" barrel it has above average M80 ball velocity. Some have stated powder charges are all over the place with it. For less than .50/rd I run it in my M1A. Some don't like the brass to reload, but most seem to not have issues with it.

Accuracy wise it's all over the board. Some can't shoot smaller than 5" with it @ 100 yards. My dad with his NM M1A got sub 1" with it:

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:44:03 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/30/2015 7:45:44 AM EST by 03RN]
In the last 2 zqi 762 threads I posted I get consistent 3 moa groups, 1 moa below my 168fgmm zero

eta, in my savage hog hunter
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 8:09:14 AM EST
Gun is a Seekins SP10 with a 16" barrel
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:26:05 AM EST
I also bought a case of it on Black Friday, I had already shot 300 rds and it grouped descent. I'm going to run my .308 in a carbine course next year so at that price I had to jump on it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:08:53 AM EST
It's good ammo for the price, try finding brass case, boxer primed, reloadable 308 ammo for .50 cents or less. When you do im me with link to said ammo.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 7:18:07 PM EST
All over a 12" target with my DPMS GII MOE. Plus very dirty. I have 2 more boxes to dispose of and will never buy more. My GII likes 180g ammo...
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:43:18 AM EST
Seems to be random. Some batches are gtg others are all over the place for powder charge. In one box of 20 I had to adjust my FAL gas setting twice. I bought it for the brass. I keep all my brass either to reload when it's not shooting weather or trade for brass I want to reload.

Going to set up my reloading bench soon... It's been packed away for 2 moves. I have three 18gal Rubbermaid tubs full of brass. Time to get busy...
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 10:44:39 AM EST
I tried reloading ZQi 308 brass and ended up with a bent decapping pin.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 4:03:53 PM EST
The ZQI M80 is specified on their website at 5.5MOA. I won't buy it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 9:00:47 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gotta_race:
I tried reloading ZQi 308 brass and ended up with a bent decapping pin.
View Quote

It's milspec.... primer is crimped. You have to be a bit careful depriming.
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 9:44:32 PM EST
it seems to shoot ok i have run through about 500 rounds of it in my M5 308 with an 18" ballistic advantage barrel.

at 100 yards it is good enough to land in and around a 1.5-2.5" if i do my part but it is not MOA ammo

the issue i have with it is it does seem to have inconsistent powder loads, when the rifle warms up and gets even a little dirty there will be plenty of double feeds and FTEs

I do not have the same issues with top shelf ammo in this rifle

all that being said it is good for practice
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 9:16:40 AM EST
Works great in my belt fed 1919

Joe
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 10:10:14 AM EST
My SAI M21 hates it. ... only thing worse through it is 2015 headstamped GGG.....50 cent ammo is not a deal to me if it shoots 4-5 MOA.

As a matter of fact, I think it is detrimental to good rifleman ship. You spend more time trying "make" that inaccurate ammo shoot then you do honing your skills.
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 12:10:04 AM EST
I just bought a couple hundred rounds at Walmart to try in my new AR-10 carbine. I'm not planning to shoot for groups and I give zero fucks about reloading. As long as it goes bang and I can clang steel at 50-200 yards I'll be happy.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 11:20:53 AM EST
Originally Posted By triburst1:
I just bought a couple hundred rounds at Walmart to try in my new AR-10 carbine. I'm not planning to shoot for groups and I give zero fucks about reloading. As long as it goes bang and I can clang steel at 50-200 yards I'll be happy.
View Quote
Thats why you buy sub 50 cent ammo I have the same view.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 4:33:01 PM EST
I finally picked up a case of the ZQI when AIM had the free shipping deal on it Thanksgiving weekend. I almost didn't buy it after reading all the bad reviews about poor groupings. Then I realized all my shooting is at 50 or 100 yards anyway. This ammo will be more than fine for my simple plinking :)
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 6:26:26 PM EST
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:
My SAI M21 hates it. ... only thing worse through it is 2015 headstamped GGG.....50 cent ammo is not a deal to me if it shoots 4-5 MOA.

As a matter of fact, I think it is detrimental to good rifleman ship. You spend more time trying "make" that inaccurate ammo shoot then you do honing your skills.
View Quote

GGG is worse? WTF GGG had a very good rep, whats the deal with that?
The only ZQI i ever bought was absolute crap. I still have a few hundred that I didn't get rid of. Every time I think I'll shoot it, I just think no its not worth it as my only .308 is 4-16x SPR.
Link Posted: 12/12/2015 11:52:50 PM EST
Zeroed my SR25 ECC with the ZQI M80 ammo today. Rifle functioned fine for the 60 rounds I fired and the ammo appears to be pretty consistently 3moa ammo. For what it's worth as a baseline, I can consistently get 1moa out of this rifle with vortex 3-18 scope using FGMM 175.

Here are a couple 5 round groups I shot during the zeroing process. After I was satisfied with the zero, I moved back and shot my steel at 250yds with zero trouble.

My rig:
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 10:48:56 AM EST
My 20" G2 Hunter Will shoot just under 1" groups with 168 GMM, it hates the zqi, 4" grops or larger. I have found the federal 147g ball ammo for right at .50 a round and it will at least group.
Link Posted: 12/14/2015 7:22:21 AM EST
Originally Posted By GNXGuy:
Works great in my belt fed 1919

Joe
View Quote

Good to hear. That's what I've been picking it up for. Haven't had a chance to try any yet.
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 6:07:57 PM EST

View Quote

Clanging 12-18" steel inside 400 yards in field positions is what this stuff is made for imo
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 7:29:54 PM EST
I just bought a case of this before I even had a .308 and then got my first bolt rifle to shoot it with. I guess it'll do ok for a newbie.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 9:32:35 PM EST
I poopoo'd this stuff, now have to eat some crow. Picked up a couple boxes from WM and it shot good enough to hit a 6" gong at 200 boringly with the SCAR 17 so I went back and bought all they had and ordered 2 cases from SGAmmo.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 10:37:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/20/2015 11:23:18 PM EST by bfoosh06]
Originally Posted By gentlemanfarmer:

The only ZQI i ever bought was absolute crap. I still have a few hundred that I didn't get rid of. Every time I think I'll shoot it, I just think no its not worth it as my only .308 is 4-16x SPR.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The current production 2015 headstamped GGG is crud.

The previous GGG stuff is fantastic... as in a gift from the Gods.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:38:53 PM EST
Originally Posted By GMZ:
I poopoo'd this stuff, now have to eat some crow. Picked up a couple boxes from WM and it shot good enough to hit a 6" gong at 200 boringly with the SCAR 17 so I went back and bought all they had and ordered 2 cases from SGAmmo.
View Quote

I bought close to 800 rounds from Walmart before all the reviews started coming out and then got a little nervous. After shooting it, I was quite happy. It works great for hitting steel under 300 yards which is all I really wanted it for. I use the more expensive ammo for precision shooting. I have been stocking up again when I go to Walmart. For the COST and my use, I think it is great ammo.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 5:32:48 PM EST

View All Quotes

Glad I didn't buy any of the new GGG when it came in. Maybe their keeping the good stuff for war stocks and selling us the crud? Lithuania has been training hard for the last year and uses a lot of G3's.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 3:55:31 PM EST
How does it compare to the German surplus at the same price?
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 5:42:32 PM EST
Originally Posted By triburst1:
View Quote

exactly...Jesus H Christ, some people here need to get the giant sticks removed from their a$$
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 5:48:18 PM EST
Originally Posted By IHTFP08:
How does it compare to the German surplus at the same price?
View Quote

where are you seeing this? I like german surplus
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 7:46:54 AM EST
Sg ammo. Well not exactly the same but close enough at .44 and .45 cpr
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 8:04:51 AM EST
For the same price is it better to get the ZQI from Aim Surplus or the Guardian branded ammo from SGA ? Is there any difference at al between them ?
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 10:30:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By Rutgers:
For the same price is it better to get the ZQI from Aim Surplus or the Guardian branded ammo from SGA ? Is there any difference at al between them ?
View Quote
ZQi and Guardian are the exact same loading. Just different box
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 11:24:20 PM EST
I just picked up 9 boxes from a local Wallyworld for $7 a box, down from $9.97

I officially have 4120 rounds of it stashed, I'm hoping to have 5,000 packed away before it's all off their shelves.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 11:26:37 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/17/2016 11:27:30 PM EST by jaholder1971]
FWIW the Emporia, Ks Walmart has a 1200 round can of ZQI 9mm for the incredible closeout price of $495.00

Probably the last ZQI 9mm remaining in the entire Wallyworld inventory at a mindblowing 41cpr
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:23:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/26/2016 12:24:41 AM EST by SlimBlundt]
I picked up a case of ZQI from AIM surplus as part of their Black Friday sale. It easily shoots 1 to 1.75 MOA from my PWS MK220 (20" barrel and rifle length gas) and cycles perfectly. However, it absolutely will not cycle my 14.5" or 16.5" gen3 POF P308 rifles. These two rifles eat any other garbage I feed them from federal M80 to hand loads to wolf to MFS soft points. If I had to guess, I'd say this batch of ZQI is consistently loaded but the powder burns too slowly to cycle actions on shorter barrels. It will eject the brass but won't cycle the action far enough back to move the bolt to the end of the cycle and load the next round.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:32:29 PM EST
Originally Posted By Buffman_LT1:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Buffman_LT1:
Originally Posted By Rutgers:

I see several vendors selling the "ZQI Guardian" brand, but do not see anywhere that the 2 are actually related other than in the product title of these vendors.
ZQI does not show "Guardian" but rather MKE on their website and the Guardian box has guardianammunition.com as their domaine name which I can't even find online.
Does anyone know if they are actually related and if it is the same ammunition from the original ZQI white box, to the darker almost foliage box, to the now guardian box? I have all of the above and the only similarities I see are the caliber, grain, and the made in turkey stamp on the box. The brass is stamped differently between the ZQI with MKE stamp and the Guardian with G A stamped in it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:46:01 AM EST
Until a few weeks ago the ZQI website was selling the "Guardian" branded ammo too at a discounted price. I suspect that brand didn't pan out well and ZQI is probably dumping it. But from what I have read, both are the same
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:39:37 AM EST
its all over the place. What can you expect, its muzzie ammo insha'Allah
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:24:17 AM EST
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:44:56 AM EST
Originally Posted By Bryan_Aim:
Guardian and ZQI are the same ammo, different box. They were initially launched as different brands for different big box stores. the Guardian is going away, and ZQI is staying on. The ammo that is on the market now, is WAYY cheaper than normal ZQI will be. They are quoting $490/k cost on new purchases.
View Quote

And it will sit with the Men and Russian ammo out there.

I don't know where ZQI gets there pricing but they did the same thing last summer. I tried to contract for a pallet from the VA (iirc) distributor, priced more w/o shipping that online retail prices.

The SGammo german men ammo is a better deal IMO. Its more consistent out of my semi guns, but for blasting in belt feds the ZQI is okay. I still would rather shoot the wolf Barnaul or MFS Barnaul from beltfeds though.

Link Posted: 2/20/2016 8:17:31 PM EST
The narrative on this ammo seems to be that it is hit-or-miss. Well for me it was a huge miss.

Recently got my first .308, a Savage Model 11 and figured that given my skill level I didn't need to buy nice ammo, thinking that match ammo would only help tighten up groups after lots of practice. Shot the Savage at 100yds today trying to zero my scope. What garbage. Boresighted, got on paper, and tried to make a group. First shot hits...ok. Second shot...10 inches low and 4 left. Third shot....10 inches right of the second one. Keep up that story for the next dozen shots. Even letting the barrel cool and firing three at a time did nothing. Brought the range master over (very experienced bolt gun guy) since I figured it was the novice shooter not the ammo. Exact same results for him.

So we try 175gr Federal GMM. He puts three shots touching. "Yep, ammo's your problem." I do the same thing...three shots in an inch.

Bottom line...not sure I'd use this ammo for anything beyond blasting coke cans at 20yds. Problem is, that's the only .308 rifle I have so I may just sell it with full disclosure that it's probably best used on full auto blasting a dirt berm.

Anyway...not a particularly happy camper. I get that it's not match ammo...but 12" groups? That just ain't right.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 8:30:38 PM EST
I had the exact same results in my GII... Plus to add insult it is very dirty.

Originally Posted By minion42:
The narrative on this ammo seems to be that it is hit-or-miss. Well for me it was a huge miss.

Recently got my first .308, a Savage Model 11 and figured that given my skill level I didn't need to buy nice ammo, thinking that match ammo would only help tighten up groups after lots of practice. Shot the Savage at 100yds today trying to zero my scope. What garbage. Boresighted, got on paper, and tried to make a group. First shot hits...ok. Second shot...10 inches low and 4 left. Third shot....10 inches right of the second one. Keep up that story for the next dozen shots. Even letting the barrel cool and firing three at a time did nothing. Brought the range master over (very experienced bolt gun guy) since I figured it was the novice shooter not the ammo. Exact same results for him.

So we try 175gr Federal GMM. He puts three shots touching. "Yep, ammo's your problem." I do the same thing...three shots in an inch.

Bottom line...not sure I'd use this ammo for anything beyond blasting coke cans at 20yds. Problem is, that's the only .308 rifle I have so I may just sell it with full disclosure that it's probably best used on full auto blasting a dirt berm.

Anyway...not a particularly happy camper. I get that it's not match ammo...but 12" groups? That just ain't right.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 9:23:16 AM EST
I've reported here previously that it shot about 8 moa out of my BR308. Have tried again on multiple range trips-- it was no fluke.

Have started pulling the bullets, reweigh the charge, and loading the brass with a known quality bullet. It is a time consuming pain, but the stuff is worthless to me as-is.
Top Top