Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2004 2:20:49 PM EDT
I've got a near new Bushy HBAR 16" "post-ban" barrel. I want a 16" gov profile threaded barrel.

It will cost me about $165+ to convert the barrel I have. Now, the annoying questions:

1) Is it worth buying a new "no-ban" Bushy barrel? If so, where could I get one at a good price?
2) Does 4150 steel really matter in a barrel? I could save money on an RRA barrel (4140).
3) In proper ARFCOM tradition, should I not be asking these questions and just buy both?

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:06:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Kurt threads barrels for around $35.  
If you want the lug, then you need to change out the front sight tower.

Best bet is to just have the barrel threaded, and change out the fixed stock to a telescoping one, which still puts you at less than $100.  The lug is really cosmetic on the 16" since the m-7 or 9 only truly fits a 20" or 14.5" barrel.  On the 16, you have to install an adapter or the bayonet ring just rattles around on the barrel, instead of fitting around the FS.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:43:42 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want a gov't profile, you would probably be better off getting a new barrel. The cost of the cuts and refinishing would probably outweigh the cost of a new barrel.
If you do away with the gov't profile- take it to a smith and have him install a FS with lug and a FH.
If you get a new barrel- go ahead and take the old one to the smith to reconfigure as above. Buy a new upper and parts kit and make another uppper. After that, you will need a new lower- well, you know the rest.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:20:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I just had my 20" HBAR cut to 18" and threaded, turned down to A2 profile under the handguards, and an FAL barrel threaded, all for $60.00.  Call around to your local machine shops, they will quote you various rates.  Make sure you are comfortable with their understanding of what you want done.  The guy that did mine was pretty excited by the project--I guess he likes to work on rifle barrels.    I reparkerized them last night in my garage.  The chemicals and supplies to do this cost less than $25.00.  By 11:30 last night. I had an 18" barreled light weight carbine with a flash suppressor installed.  Total cost--lots less than a new barrel.

If you don't know how to parkerize or don't want to learn--there are many folks here and on the falfiles.com that do it.  Do a search, you'll probably find someone in your area that would be glad to do it for free.

Hope that helps,

--usp_fan
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 10:55:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy a new barrel, and sell your old barrel, it will be cheaper in the long run, and you will have a brand spanking new barrel.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:14:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got a quote from a gunsmith here in CA.  He wanted $299 to disassemble, turn and thread and install a flash hider.  He re-crowns the muzzle and test fires also to make sure it works as before (no keyholing).  Reasonable?  I don't have any AR tools.

$299 is a long way towards a new upper.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I just got a quote from a gunsmith here in CA.  He wanted $299 to disassemble, turn and thread and install a flash hider.  He re-crowns the muzzle and test fires also to make sure it works as before (no keyholing).  Reasonable?  I don't have any AR tools.

Thats ridiculous.  Plus there is no need to recrown.

Hmmm... lets see.... you can buy a new bushmaster assembled upper for under $400.  

Or, you can buy a flat top upper receiver for $100, buy the exact preban barrel assembly you want for $215, and then buy the tools you need for another $85.... and then you can build them yourself!

Hmmm, then sell your old upper for... lets say.... $200.

That means in either direction, your net expense will be $200, and you will have a brand new upper/barrel, exactly how you want it.

I wouldn't let a smith update my barrel unless it could be done at a substantial cost savings over getting NEW stuff.... and in your care, it's gonna be $100 MORE expensive for the smith......

No way.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 11:45:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Maybe he's worried about his legal bill afterward...aren't flash hiders still verboten in the PRK?

Paladin
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 12:43:33 PM EDT
[#8]

$299

Well, I knew this guy had a reputation for being high and finally got a call from my gun dealer/gunsmith.  $70 incl. a stock A2 flashhider.  I sure as hell wasn't going to pay $299 but I was polite with the expensive guy and he was polite back.  Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:52:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I think I'll check prices locally first. But, I'm probably either just going to thread the barrel and
keep the HBAR, or buy a new barrel and sell the old one. Thanks to everyone for all the great
feedback! haveI'm sure others are having the same dilema.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:15:08 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That price is absolutely ridiculous.  Steve at ADCO Firearms is a highly respected member of this board and he quoted me $60 to remove my welded brake & rethread the muzzle, then another $20 for a Phantom flash suppressor.  I suggest you pass on your California gunsmith.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top