Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/25/2003 4:19:22 AM EDT
Thinking about getting about 500 rounds of each of this type of ammo.  Any reasons why I shouldn't?  Thanks...

OLYMPIC 223 GREEN TIP (SS109)
62 GRAIN - STEEL CORE
ARMOR PIERCING PENETRATOR CORE
BOXER PRIMED - NON CORROSIVE
223 STEEL PENETRATOR CORE BLACK TIP AMMO (SS109) NEW COMMERCIAL - BRASS CASED - BOXER PRIMED - NON CORROSIVE - 62 GRAIN - FULL METAL JACKET - BLACK TIP
MANUFACTURED BY BOSNIA AND HERZEGOVINA
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 5:38:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Any reasons why I shouldn't?  Thanks...
View Quote

Yeah, because neither are "Armor Piercing" and both suck.  You're better of spending your money on real 5.56/.223 rem.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 6:02:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any reasons why I shouldn't?  Thanks...
View Quote

Yeah, because neither are "Armor Piercing" and both suck.  You're better of spending your money on real 5.56/.223 rem.
View Quote

What Vinne means is that "Armor Piercing" is not the correct way to describe SS109 type ammo.  They just have STEEL PENETRATORS in the bullet but this doesn't make them "Armor Piercing".  

Olympic has had some bad reviews on this forum.  I have never used it so I can't say from FIRST HAND experience.  I do know that many OTHER brands of ammo that had a bad rap on this forum have worked FLAWLESSLY for me (Wolf, MCC, etc).  

I thought I read on this forum that the stuff from Bosnia & Herzegovina was good.  Perhaps you can search for threads on that topic.  

Best advice I can give you is to buy a couple hundred rounds of whatever your are interested in.  Shoot it.  If it meets your needs then buy more.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 6:10:02 AM EDT
[#3]
IMO, the best SS109/M855 ammo is the IMI stuff.

That said I have fired over 400 rounds of the Olympic SS109, outta my 1000 round case, with non- of the problems spoken of here.

Haven't shot any of the other SS109, but "Ammoman" sells is so it must be okay, [url]www.ammoman.com[/url], vist him and stock up.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 6:10:43 AM EDT
[#4]
If the 2nd listing is the Hotshot brand, they're good to go.  If find the brass a bit soft but every round went bang.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Hail Mary:
If the 2nd listing is the Hotshot brand, they're good to go.  If find the brass a bit soft but every round went bang.
View Quote

Velocities are right also; see thread on the subject.
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 3:35:41 PM EDT
[#6]
If I wanted the best loads out there using the SS109 bullet, I would buy the IMI. It may be a little more expensive but it's worth it IMO to get something that is known and fully trusted. Olympic is a relative newcomer in comparsion and it's been plagued with problems. So why risk getting crap ammo just to save a few bucks? The Bosnian stuff is also new to the market. While I haven't heard of many problems with it, the stuff hasn't been out there long enough to inspire the confidence that I have in IMI. You can get IMI here: [url]http://www.wideners.com/cart.asp?Action=Details&item=IMISS109[/url]

-Charging Handle
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 7:25:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I like Olympic ammo.  .003 failure rate for me!  
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top