Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/26/2007 11:02:46 AM EDT
I am contemplating buying a single picatinny rail (the one that attaches to the underneath surface of the standard handguard), on which to mount a VHG.  I do not need the 4- rail Free float handguards, because I don't need that much bling hanging off the rifle.  I walk and stalk hogs with the gun so weight is critical.

Which one/ones are good quality?  Some rails are plastic....are they junk?  Do the Vertical grips stay on?

Is the mounting of the rail solid, just using screws through the vent holes in the handguard?

Should I even spend the $30 or so?  This is about $200 cheaper than going with the 4-rail forend, and that requires 'smithing if you get one that can support a sight.

Opinions from others who have this setup would be appreciated.....Thank you

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:17:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I did not need an expensive 4 rail handguard either, so I ordered a single piece
of rail from MI, and mounted it to my M4 handguards.

No problems whatsoever. Vertical grip is on tight and very solid.

Go here:

MI

Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:17:19 AM EDT
[#2]
In my experience the handguards flex way too much.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#3]
you can get a two piece 4 rail handguard for $110 here
or you could go with a midwest industries for $130 here
I have a small rail attached to the bottom of my m4 handguards and it is not tight at all it wobbles and not just the rail the whole bottom piece moves around.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Or you could add a YHM FF tube for $85. Just another option...
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:34:58 AM EDT
[#5]
did you buy the short or long rail?

Are your forend grips M4 (larger) or the CAR series?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I added the YHM carbine length free float lightweight rail to my Stag 2H upper. I love it. It is solid as hell, and allowed me to add a tactical beer can holder to the left hand rail!

I bought the YHM piece from one of the vendors here, BrightFlashlights. Calvin was an absolute pleasure to order from.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:44:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I just looked at the YHM Free-float customizable handguard.   That might be just the ticket, since you can custom-install as many or few rails as you need.  Does that require gunsmithing to mount?
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 11:57:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I would say it depends entirely on the make of your rifle's handguards.  My buddy had some cheap DPMS ones that flexed like a mutha.  Crap.  Replaced them with some other noname ones.  Flexed.  Crap.  Meanwhile on my Bushmaster, I've got nice Bushmaster handguards.  No flexing.  Not crap.  That being said, I'm still looking at getting some a YHM lightweight freefloating railed handguard at my earliest chance.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 12:08:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I just looked at the YHM Free-float customizable handguard.   That might be just the ticket, since you can custom-install as many or few rails as you need.  Does that require gunsmithing to mount?

Using the term gunsmithing loosely, yes. It requires you to remove both the FSB and the FS. It's not tough if you have the tools, as a receiver block and punches are needed.

Go to the Build It Yourself forum, and read FALARAK's awesome thread on assembly, that is tacked at the top.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got a GG&G rail on factory Colt M4 handguards. Works with the double heat shields and is very solid. There are probably cheaper rails but this one is stout. In his recent article on AR's, Larry Vickers said if you don't need to hang a lot of stuff on the end of your rifle then adding a rail to the HG's is a good option.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 2:14:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I am running the UTG rail on DPMS glacier guards on one carbine, but I am looking into this system, as I think it would locate my light where I need it for good use of the tail cap switch with my thumb.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 4:54:23 PM EDT
[#12]
All great ideas, guys.  This is for my "skulking around the bush" nighttime hog rifle.  he
I already have the PVS-14 mounted behind an Eotech.  These together go on a 7 -inch extended length flattop rail/riser, for my 6.8 SPC M4. The rail raises the sight radius to the proper height and extends out over the handguard by 1.75 ".  Therefore, none of this has to be mounted on the handguard, so it is solid as a rock.  This extra length allows me to use the 3 X magnifier with the PVS 14, and that is one incredible nighttime rig!

I guess if I had more time, and a digital camera, I would send out a pic for everyone.  A gussied up Black rifle is a beautiful thing, isn't it?

Lemme' tell you.....if you don't own NVD's yet, and you hunt hogs....By all means, get 'em!h

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top