Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/14/2004 1:46:58 AM EDT
What if you are allowed ONE and ONLY AR? no replacement upper assemblies. Just one rifle you will use for:
        1.   Recreational and defensive shooting.
        2.   CQB and shots up to 300++yards
        3.   SHTF rifle.
        4.   Hiking in the mountains/survival rifle.
        5.   In case of a loss in civilization, your main weapon
In detail, including brand that you will use. What set-up will you use? what optics, buttstock, barrel type and length?, trigger and other gizmos will you mount. This may be a nightmare for some, but i hope you will try your best to make it as realistic as possible.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:04:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Std. A2 setup, stock, iron sights, 16" Dissipator with Phantom FH.

Whala.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:19:14 AM EDT
[#2]
20" Govt profile, A2 sights, Magpul stock.  So what if it looks goofy? It does the job.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:21:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm leaning towards a 20" gov't. profile A4 Bushmaster for this one.  You've got the range and terminal capabilities of the longer bbl. and the ability to mount some sort of optic if you so choose.  I'm thinking about modifying my Bushmaster M4-type carbine to be a 20" gov't. model currently for these very reasons.

Don't get me wrong, carbines are great, and in an ideal world, I'd get both an M4gery and an A4gery, but on super-tight college student resources, I can only reasonably afford one or the other.  If I get attacked in my home, I've got my pistol for any of the close encounters of the violent kind, and frankly, it's a lot easier to get to my Springfield pistol than it is to get at my Bushie, so the odds of my using the rifle indoors for personal protection are slim at best.  Realistically, I'm probably going to benefit more from the full-sized rifle.

'At's just me, though.  Others' perceived needs and/or wants will most likely differ.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:45:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I am a "AR-Newbie" I admit, but I have my own opinion on what I would consider a good all around rifle. I am really happy with my Bushmaster so I will start off with that as my brand choice. I would get a flat-top so I could mount a good hunting scope once in awhile to hunt for FOOD while still having easy access to my iron sites which will be mounted 90% of the time.

"16 barrel. 1:7 - 1:9 rifle twist topped off with a Phantom flash hider. The barrel length is a happy medium, long enough for most jobs, and not so long as to get in the way in tight spaces.

Iron sights. Never needs batteries, and always reliable. Sure, there are sights out there that run off of fiber optics etc., but that's just one more thing to go wrong. The only addition I would use is tritium sights.

A Leopold Scope for hunting with weaver mounts.

A 2 stage trigger is nice, but not nessesary.

A simple sling for carrying.

M4 type fore grip. Comfortable, and better cooling than a regular fore-end.

Magpuls on your clips.

Charging handle extension.

Adjustable stock. This will help with carrying, storing, or use in tight places.

A couple of bore snakes for cleaning, and some good solvent & protectant.

At least 10 magazines.

A feild repair kit...or 3...or 5.

some accuwedges.

Some rubber balloons. Cheaper than rubbers with a tighter fit over the barrel.

Flashlights? Nope. Not mounted to my rifle. While great for home defense, it is like a BIG bullseye if anyone were shooting at you.

Hope this helped.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:47:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Plain jane a2 carbine
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:10:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Well my SHTF AR is a pretty well decked out M4gery but looking at some of the criteria you listed, we are "preparing" for completely different scenarios. For the criteria you listed, I think this would be a very handy and practical gun...

16" barrel length - A good compromise between velocity and shorter length for CQB situation
Chrome Lined barrel - a must have IMO for SHTF\end of the world type scenarios
Mid Length gas system - Longer sight radius for open sight use and also a little more reliable than the standard carbine gas system
A2 Upper - Sure flat tops give you more options but in the scenario you laid out, a K.I.S.S. rifle is the way to go
A1 length stock - A little shorter and more maneuverable than an A2 stock but more reliable\worrisome than any retractable stock.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:51:14 AM EDT
[#7]
A2, 20" A2 fixed sights, fixed stock.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:57:43 AM EDT
[#8]
cgv69:

That's a very handsome rifle you've got there, man.  My compliments.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:07:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Bushmaster lower, A4 (flat top upper), 14.5" barrel with 1-7" twist, VLTOR buttstock, Tango Down vertical grip, Aimpoint M2 in ARMS 22M68 mount, LMT backup rear sight, LaRue free float fore end, and a Surefire M96.

- With 75gr BH ammunition I have a ballistically effective rifle out to around 110 - 120 yards.  

- My LMT rear sight gives me solid backup iron sights.  

- The Aimpoint M2 will make me faster and/or more accurate at 100 yards or less.

- LaRue fore end allows me to mount a fore grip, flash light, and sling without changing my point of impact.  It will also allow the barrel to cool faster.

- 14.5" barrel allows for a very compact weapon and the mounting of a bayonet.

- Surefire M96 allows me or operate more effectively in an urban setting.  Room clearing and home defense virtually mandate a flashlight.  Know when and when not to use a flash light.  Flashing a white light in an open field when there is potentially an enemy around is not a wise ideal.  But try clearing a house with a hand held light and a rifle, it is virtually impossible.  I also have a blue filter to allow the use of my light while preserving my night vision.

-  Tango Down's vertical grip allows me to mount my Surefire pressure pad, and holds a spare bolt assembly.

- VLTOR's buttstock holds two batteries for the Aimpoint M2, and 6 batteries for the Surefire.

I have this set up and it works well for me.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:49:04 AM EDT
[#10]
A3, 20 inch heavy barrel, stainless 1/8 twist, match trigger, match sights, bayo lug, flash hider, acog, anpvs14 for mounting behind the acog, knights ff rail, and all of the 77 grain ammo i can have

i want to do battle as far out from my enemy as possible

first choice would be my bolt gun and a sig 220
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:53:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I would go with one of the new Shorty m4 types with A3 detachable carry handle.  Carbines are plenty accurate for hunting, and  plinking applications and the removable carry handle gives one more flexibility
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:55:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Blue filter increases percieved contrast, does not preserve night vision.  Red filter will preserve night vision.  Green filter is best compromise, as it will preserve some night vision, increase contrast, and also have furthest penetration distance wise.  sorry to hijack, but very important differences.

my personal shtf etc. = 16" 1:9 BM flattop eotech 552 BUIS tangodown and lots of spare parts
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:55:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Aw shit, not another of these "what if you are allowed only X number of guns" threads. The best answer is why in the hell would I allow myself to be so restricted, and did I fight enough to keep such stupid restrictions off the law books?

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:19:12 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
cgv69:

That's a very handsome rifle you've got there, man.  My compliments.

Thank you
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:27:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What if you are allowed ONE and ONLY AR?

OK....

16" Armalite AR10 with an ACOG....Magpul or Vltor stock....KAC 2-stage trigger....

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:42:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I only have one AR.

14.5" LMT M4 upper w/ vortex
Vltor CAR stock
RAS II
Aimpoint
TD battlegrip and vertical grip
Surefire M962 (don't have that yet)

Just about perfect IMO.

Only thing better would be an MRP
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:44:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If I get attacked in my home, I've got my pistol for any of the close encounters of the violent kind, and frankly, it's a lot easier to get to my Springfield pistol than it is to get at my Bushie, so the odds of my using the rifle indoors for personal protection are slim at best.  Realistically, I'm probably going to benefit more from the full-sized rifle.

I'll take a boomstick for indoor combat.  No handgun or carbine load packs punch like 12 gauge double ought buck up close.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:53:21 AM EDT
[#18]
I've posted it before, but simply put

17" barrel
midlength gas system
Gemtech Bilock
Magpul stock
flattop upper
folding BUIS front & rear
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:55:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:53:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Well what idiot wants to make shots at 300++ yards with a freaking 5.56 in an E&E situation??!?!?  Its pointless to shoot that far in a SHTF scenario.  Just run away if someone is beyond about 200 yards.  If you want to engage beyond 200 yrds use a better caliber.

Id bring a 10.5" so I can conceal it better or 14.5" for long range.  Proabably 14.5 for this situatiuon.  All LMT, full auto KAC trigger group, KAC suppressor and flash hider, Magpul stock, TA31 scope in LaRue mount, Troy BUIS, KAC URX II carbine foreend, Magpul MAID grip, PVS14-D, PEQ2, PVS17, LMT M203 and KAC rail mounted M203 sight... thats about it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:18:35 AM EDT
[#21]

In detail, including brand that you will use. What set-up will you use? what optics, buttstock, barrel type and length?, trigger and other gizmos will you mount. This may be a nightmare for some, but i hope you will try your best to make it as realistic as possible

I have only 1 AR15 and it wasn't intended for CQB/SHTF style events. It wasn't intended for match/competition-only shooting either. It's too long for short people (the rifle measures about 48" or 4')
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:24:32 AM EDT
[#22]
I will only have one AR, so I already picked my one.
RRA upper and lower.
A3 config with 16" SS barrel and Vortex. (1 in 8 twist)
Ergo grip with Cav Arms A1 stock.
Leupold 1.5-5x20 and EOtech ( not together)
Still looking at free-float setups. Haven't decided yet.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:27:45 AM EDT
[#23]
RRA Entry Tactical with a 16" crome lined barrel and a phantom fh
WOA trigger
GG&G  FF rail system
CQD vert grip
MOUT sling
EOTech 552
ARMS 40
Surefire 120 L weapon mounted light (QD) w/ shock isolated bezel
Lots of 30 round mags
Lots more LC ammo
Spare batteries for SF and EOTech

Why? because that is the gear I own right now.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:42:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Colt M16A2 lower receiver;
KAC two-stage full auto trigger;
Magpul MIAD grip;
Magpul M93A MSS;
Magpul single point sling mount;
LMT rifle length MRP upper receiver assembly with 18" stainless steel and 16" chrome lined 1/7 barrels;
TA-31F ACOG in LaRue ACOG mount;
Troy Industries front and rear BUIS;
Attilla IR laser;
LMT 40mm rail mounted grenade launcher;
Dieter/CQD rail mounted sling loop;
Dieter/CQD sling;
Insight Technologies head mounted M.U.M.;
A buttload of MK 262 MOD 1.

ETA

I forgot the OPS Inc. 12th model suppressor and requisite mounting kit for both barrels.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#26]
20" A1 profile and sights.  Standard handgaurds just brown and Magpul 93A brown.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:42:05 PM EDT
[#27]
20 inch AR10A4,  m93, ACOG,

7.62 holes make invisible soles
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:53:43 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
What if you are allowed ONE and ONLY AR? no replacement upper assemblies. Just one rifle you will use for:
        1.   Recreational and defensive shooting.
        2.   CQB and shots up to 300++yards
        3.   SHTF rifle.
        4.   Hiking in the mountains/survival rifle.
        5.   In case of a loss in civilization, your main weapon
In detail, including brand that you will use. What set-up will you use? what optics, buttstock, barrel type and length?, trigger and other gizmos will you mount. This may be a nightmare for some, but i hope you will try your best to make it as realistic as possible.

Well, as a civilian I don't expect to need a CQB rifle (#2), and living in a fairly safe neighborhood, I don't really expect to do any "defensive shooting" (#1). In the event of shit hitting a fan, a mop will probably do better to clean the shit off the floor than a rifle will (though I would just replace the fan in question) (#3).  As for the potential Canadian invasion (#5), well, we're probably all screwed there anyways.

So, I would go with a generic Bushmaster, 20" 1:9, A2 upper, full stock. Works great at the range, and will fill any of the other needs if they ever come up.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm building it right now.

Colt  m16a1 upper, 1/12 twist, nightsights, mini-acog, colt LR conversion.

Cavarms lower, trigger of your choice.

Should shoot 55gr and 22lr equally well, extremely versatile and cheap.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I'm building it right now.

Colt  m16a1 upper, 1/12 twist, nightsights, mini-acog, colt LR conversion.

Cavarms lower, trigger of your choice.

Should shoot 55gr and 22lr equally well, extremely versatile and cheap.

Just so you know, that .22 LR will be bouncing its way down the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:21:17 PM EDT
[#31]
I have 10 ARs and the A1  unit is the only one I shoot.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:25:34 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I have 10 ARs and the A1  unit is the only one I shoot.

I'll give ya a hundred bucks for the other 9.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#33]
A Grendel in SPR configuration.  At some point I figure I'd get hungry and it would be nice to be able to harvest something to eat.  If you had to ward off zombies, it'd be nice to start picking them off at distance instead of waiting for a CQB situation to develop.  Along with this, I'd stockpile bunches of ammo.

Either that or I'd go with my Patrolman's Carbine, w/EoTech, and also a .22LR upper and live off squirrels for the rest of my life.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:43:00 PM EDT
[#34]
[ link to LARGER image ]

Basically identical to that one, but in 5.56: 17" or 18", rifle length gas, BUIS, TA11, Magpul.

-z
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:49:47 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
www.demigod.org/~zak/DigiCam/6.8SPC/small/141_4150_img.jpg[ link to LARGER image ]

Basically identical to that one, but in 5.56: 17" or 18", rifle length gas, BUIS, TA11, Magpul.

-z

Great minds think (almost) alike.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Great minds think (almost) alike.

I went back and read your spec.  

The only reason I'm spec'ing a 17-18" barrel instead of one shorter is to get the rifle-length gas system, which I think smoothes out operation.   If I were to go mid, I'd go 16"-- basically a RECCE.

regards
-z
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:44:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Currently working on that exact rifle:

Based on the KISS principle

16" Bushmaster Superlight barrel w/ Phantom
BM C7/A1 upper with Trijicon NS (to give me the A2 apperture)

Currently it's on a Cav-Arms lower but will shortly be on an
Ameetec lower with a Cav-Arms A-1 stock and RRA 2 stage trigger.

It's SWEET and exactly what the AR should be in my mind.had
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:04:12 PM EDT
[#38]
A simple 20" A2 with a compact acog on the carry handle.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#39]
A good question.  
#1. Keep it simple.
#2. Keep it versitile.
#3. Keep it clean.

Bushmaster M4/A3

Trijicon Ta50-2 3X Compact ACOG mounted on the carry handle (this allows for the use of iron sights if need be)

1.25" three position sling for comfort while being carried for long periods of time

At least 10 mags

Plenty of ammo

But that's just me.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:57:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Colt M4/ACOG, simplicity is sweet.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top