Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/28/2006 2:32:25 AM EDT
Thanks guys for all the help you've been giving me....

I was in the garage last night trying to figure out why my gun was not feeding correctly and was ejecting live rounds. This morning when I went out to look at the mags for another post  regarding jamming, I noticed marks on the primers of live bullets. I don't know how much pressure it takes from a firing pin to set off the bullet but is it normal for ejected live rounds to have small marks on primers? I'm not sure my bolt carrier assembly is functioning properly.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:34:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Normal

ETA - as noted clearly here: www.ammo-oracle.com

excerpt:

Q. I chambered a round in my AR and then unloaded it later.  The primer has a small dent in it, apparently from the firing pin.  Should I be worried about this?  Won't that cause a slam-fire?  Should I switch to a Titanium firing pin?

A gas-operated semiautomatic operates on gas bled from the barrel.  This gas is channeled to the bolt operator, which blows the bolt open and ejects the spent shell casing.  A heavy spring then returns to bolt carrier to the closed and locked position on the next round.  In the case of weapons with free floated firing pins (SKS, AR-15, etc.), the inertia of the firing pin carries it forward and it strikes the primer as the bolt closes.  (The "slam").  Generally this will dimple the primer and leave a small indent.  This isn't anything to worry about as primers for centerfire .223 and 5.56mm are pretty "hard" and aren't likely to be set off by this impact.

Early M-16s had a problem with slamfiring because of the firing pin design.  Eventually Colt redesigned the pin to be lighter and therefore carry less energy into the primer.

Slam-fires are pretty rare in modern ARs provided they are well maintained but they can be caused by a broken or protruding firing pin, foreign matter on the bolt face that is carried into the primer, foreign matter in the firing pin assembly that prevents it from retracting sufficiently, overly soft or poorly seated primers, or other malfunctions.

As for titanium firing pins, they are probably not worth the headache.  Indeed they are lighter and may reduce the already small chance of slamfires, but titanium also does not handle impacts well and can be brittle.  A broken or cracked titanium firing pin is a lot more likely to cause a slamfire than a regular pin.

It should be noted, however, that repeated chambering of the same round increases the likelyhood of a slamfire, or of a hangfire (slow to ignite) or misfire (failure to ignite) due to damage to the round's primer.  If you chamber and clear your rifle on a regular basis, make sure you change out the top round so that you don't rechamber the same round more than once or twice.

Finally, always point your rifle in a safe direction when chambering live ammo.  As with any machine, there is always the possibility that something will go wrong and the round will fire.  If you are chambering your home-defense gun, ride the charging handle and use the forward assist to lock the bolt forward, always keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:12:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd add that chambering live rounds in a location where firearms use is not expected or allowed (like the garage) is a BAD IDEA®.  A VERY bad idea.  If there is a problem, you could accidentally fire the weapon and, no matter how "safe" the direction it's pointed, that bullet is going somewhere.

I'd get snap caps or dummies-they aren't very expensive and they CAN'T go off.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:20:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Extremely good idea not to be in garage. Combined with the fact that I chambered and ejected many of the same rounds at least 3 times each, and had the gun slamfired (never knew this could happen) the gun might have acted like a machine gun and emptied all 20 shell in the garage!

No doubt, that would have been pretty interesting.

Thanks so much for the advice. I'll handle the gun at the range or get those plastic shells! Shure appreciate all the good advice here.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top