Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2012 3:27:59 PM EDT
Hey guys,

Long-time reader, first-time poster here.  I'm looking to get my first AR in the coming weeks.  I would like to buy my first one, as opposed to building one.  Although I'm sure I'll build one at some point, I'd like purchase my first one just to have a warranty in case I mess anything up.  I'd like to keep the cost of the rifle around $1,000.  From what I've seen on here, everybody recommends the Colt 6920 or Daniel Defense.  The DD rifles are a little bit out of my price range and they seem to already come pretty decked out.  I'd kinda like to start with a more bare bones model and customize as I go.  This is what I get hung up on - I feel like most people recommend a mid-length over a carbine, but everybody recommends the Colt 6920, which is a carbine.  Help me out there.  It sounds like there is no downside to going mid-length so I'd kinda like to go that route.  I'd also like a 1:7 barrel twist to stabilize heavier bullets.  I'll probably start off with iron sights and go to an EOTech at some point.  The rifle will be used for plinking and maybe some hunting.

In summary, sell me on a mid-length AR15 with a 1:7 barrel twist around $1,000.  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#1]
... yet another Spike's Midlength recommendation.

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 3:33:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Bravo Company 16" Mid-Length comes in right around your price range...
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 3:35:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

X2
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Spikes is g2g

PSA is g2g

However, I wish someone would have told me what I am about to tell you when I was buying my first AR.

Buy once, cry once! I wish I would have saved up and waiting a few more month and bought a LaRue as my first one. It is a tad outside your price range, but it is worth every penny.

Just my 2 cents!

BCV, out!
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#5]
The price on the Colt 6920 is very hard to beat

Might as well start with the Colt

you can always by a middy upper down the road  unless the Fad will change

I would trust a Colt 6920 straight out of the box!
I dont know If I would do the same with other brands/

And No Im not a Colt Fan boy
I sold my Colt back in the late 80`s
I do have a couple LMT M4`s
I  like LMT but since the Colt can be had for under a 1000 bucks its hard to recomend something else in a M4
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 3:56:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Del-Ton middy kit minus the lower which can be had for less than $100.  You can upgrade the barrel to 1x7 twist for $45.    Your welcome.  And that will save you plenty of $$$ for an optic.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
 Your welcome.

No thanks.
Not worth the shame .

OP:

Colt
BCM
Spikes
DD
PSA

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Your welcome.

No thanks.
Not worth the shame .

OP:

Colt
BCM
Spikes
DD
PSA

What is so bad about Del-Ton?  Granted, I not own one, but have had GREAT service from then on items I have purchased from them...  And I'm asking so I can be educated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 4:09:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the fast responses.  

Does anybody have a feel for how long the backorder period is on the Colt 6920 or the Spike's Mid?
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

X2

I thought those were unobtanium these days, hence the Spike's plug.

I also didn't realize that the BCM middy rifle was in the $1000 or less price range... but I haven't looked in a while. I tend to build my own.

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 4:24:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Just to throw this out there, I ordered a PSA M4 carbine length upper for about 465 bucks with an MBUS rear sight installed and sighted in and got it 17 days after I placed my order... all chrome lined and a full auto bolt carrier. Very well built upper light enough to put on a work gun and plenty accurate with the 1:7 twist 16" chrome lined chrome moly vandium barrel. PSA is GTG in my book.... Now lets let the remarks about why didn't I get an 800 dollar upper roll in

Then after you have your upper all you have to do is buy a lower reciever and lower parts kit (or complete lower) locally or have one shipped to an FFL holder of your preference... that should have you paying about 700-800 for a complete AR built just the way you want it as most places that sell such uppers allow you to select custom options for reasonable cost. And the same applies to lowers as well.

I like your thought process though. Certainly start out with a K.I.S.S. rifle and get the feel of the AR platform then just customize as you go if you feel the need.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#13]
everyone starts out carbine, but they wind up getting a midlength at some point or another
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
everyone starts out carbine, but they wind up getting a midlength at some point or another

I might eventually get a middy gas system upper if I get the whimsical urge to get something "different" but IMHO there's absolutely nothing wrong with either carbine length or mid length gas systems to my knowledge.... I've never owned anything but carbine length gas systems but I've fired all three options on direct impingement guns (Car, Middy, and Rifle) It's all in personal preference for the most part.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:09:19 AM EDT
[#15]
I have owned both carbine and middy, I personally prefer the middy! But to each their own!
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:16:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

this

/thread
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:34:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the fast responses.  

Does anybody have a feel for how long the backorder period is on the Colt 6920 or the Spike's Mid?

Spike's Middy available for shipping from AIM right now: Spike's Midlength

I agree with Aimless in that I haven't felt any difference in recoil from my carbine to the midlength, but for me a longer forearm is a must due to long arms and needing the extra real estate to properly hold the rifle comfortably. (6'2") Another plus for me is asthetics, I think the mid looks much better, but that's subjective, YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:57:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Decide if you want a show gun or a working gun.  The Colt at just under 1K would be my choice.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:02:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Anybody got a link to a place that has the Colt in stock?
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:58:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 8:04:06 AM EDT
[#21]
BCM
PSA

First two choices for price/qual ... you'll be fine
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:55:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Called DSG and they said 4-6 weeks.  I think I'm gonna go with the Colt.  That price is hard to beat.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:21:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Called DSG and they said 4-6 weeks.  I think I'm gonna go with the Colt.  That price is hard to beat.

Thanks guys.

Can't argue against Colt
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Get the colt. The mid length stuff is overrated Internet talk, carbine length is fine.

This x20.

I don't see any reason NOT to get a Colt 6920 as a first AR.
It's without a doubt one of the best, if not the best AR you could possibly get.
Worth every penny.

Quoted:

Thanks guys.

Good man.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:37:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

/thread

If I didn't build all mine I would say this too.  Carbine is fine but shooting middy is where it's at. Smooth as butter.  And BCM is great.  All my barrels and BCGs are BCM.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top