Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 7:31:27 PM EDT
Hello All,
Just what you needed, another new guy asking a bunch of questions.

After much research (which was greatly helped when I found this site). I'm pretty sure I want to build a pre-ban gun. Life is about choices man, and in my F@#%ing state (CT), they don't give you many. I know it will cost a bit more, but I'm willing to spend it for the option of adding certain items down the road. I'll probably go pretty bare bones to start.
(16" chrome lined barrel, probably a flat top/A3 detachable?, 6 pos stock, Basic NM trigger, flip sights....wait a minute, that doesn't sound too bare bones does it???)

Anyway, most of what I've learned appears pretty straightforward, except for the choice of the pre-ban lower. Is there a better brand or style I should be looking for? Will ANY preban lower work with the new kits? I know I should be able to verify the dates from the larger companies. I've looked at Eagle Arms/Armalite, SGW, PWA, Bushmaster, Colt, Olympics, but it gets very confusing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:40:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Im not sure exactly what your asking... There is no ban anymore. Pre-ban and post-ban are obsolete now, its called no-ban now. Unless you live in a restricted state that does not allow assult weapons the ban does not matter. As far as A lower reciever matching up with A upper they should pretty much all be able to mix and match , with the differents only in apperance of color. Hope this helps...
                                                                                           Bushy Out...
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:47:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Im not sure exactly what your asking... There is no ban anymore. Pre-ban and post-ban are obsolete now, its called no-ban now. Unless you live in a restricted state that does not allow assult weapons the ban does not matter. As far as A lower reciever matching up with A upper they should pretty much all be able to mix and match , with the differents only in apperance of color. Hope this helps...
                                                                                           Bushy Out...

The way I'm reading his post, CT is one of those states.

Jon: Lowers are pretty much commodity items (unless you're talking colt.)  For most people it's about a preference in finish and the stampings.  You do get a little variety in quality of finish.

Since you have to buy one that exists before a certain date (what is that date, btw?) I'd say get what you can find for a good price that isn't totally fugly.

I personally like the Rock River lowers.

Don't worry about being too "basic" -- you can always add gear later.  I know I keep adding things to my guns

Regarding the NM trigger -- have you tried one out?  A lot of people love them.  I'm going to yank mine out and sell it on the EE just as soon as I can scrape together the funds to buy another CMC trigger (or maybe one of those Geissele Triggers if I want 2-stage.)  I hear the NM can be made real nice with a little bit of polishing.

Wanna buy a NM trigger?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I live in a restricted state (CT), but I can still buy, build and/or own a pre-ban rifle.

The rest of the country got smart but the idiots in my state capitol decided they had to protect us from ourselves.

Anyway, I'll need a lower from a rifle that was built into a rifle (not just a part from before 09/94) before the ban 09/94.

I'm pretty sure I've got my facts straight, but I could be wrong (again).
I've done a LOT of reading on this...

So...am I nuts or what?

Jon

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:58:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I think I'll have to wait until I start building the gun before I buy the trigger.he
Jon
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I live in a restricted state (CT), but I can still buy, build and/or own a pre-ban rifle.

The rest of the country got smart but the idiots in my state capitol decided they had to protect us from ourselves.

Anyway, I'll need a lower from a rifle that was built into a rifle (not just a part from before 09/94) before the ban 09/94.
  =   Goat Blowing Brokeback Mountain Watchin Liberal Run State.  That suxs. I wish you luck.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd love to use a Rock River lower but I'm pretty sure they're all post ban.
I don't think they were around before 1994.

So does anyone have a preference, opinion or any other info about pre-ban lowers?

Jon
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:38:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure I've got my facts straight, but I could be wrong (again).
I've done a LOT of reading on this...

So...am I nuts or what?

Jon

It's been my experience that asking this question may get you into serious trouble here!!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:30:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Come on guys, I know many of you must have an opinion (relating to my question, hopefully).

So does anyone have a preference, opinion or any other info about pre-ban lowers?
Best places to look for used parts?

Thanks in advance,

Jon

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:43:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Welcome to the site Jon.

I don't know much about CT laws (I live in a "free" state) but maybe you can go into the hometown forum and go in the CT forum and ask others there in CT what they do.  Like others said, there is no Pre-ban anymore since that silly law expired.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:46:57 AM EDT
[#10]
There is still pre-ban in the state where i live. So I need a pre 09/94 lower.
I just want opinions as to which receiver brands are preferred amongst the members here.

Thanks,

Jon
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:18:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
There is still pre-ban in the state where i live. So I need a pre 09/94 lower.
I just want opinions as to which receiver brands are preferred amongst the members here.

Thanks,

Jon

Preban ones I know off the top of my head...

PWA
Bushmaster
Essential Arms
Colt
Olympic Arms
Eagle Arms(now known as Armalite)

EA's and some(if not all) pre-ban Oly's are cast. I'm sure there are other brands.. but I'm just going off memory.

Just make sure you get a pre ban SN...

ETA: I'll leave the discussion as to which would be the best to you guys.. ;)
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:58:32 PM EDT
[#12]
What's better cast or forged? Is there really a difference?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:41:41 PM EDT
[#13]
you definately want forged       cast is no good   just not as durable IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:13:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The info is posted on this site, and the summary of it is... you don't build a preban, you simply need the whole damn gun.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

(16" chrome lined barrel, probably a flat top/A3 detachable?, 6 pos stock, Basic NM trigger, flip sights....wait a minute, that doesn't sound too bare bones does it???)

This sounds familiar.  That is EXACTLY what I just built.  A bushmaster Pre-ban V match upper with a Stag lower.

http://images6.theimagehosting.com/AR-15a.jpg
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#16]
You said it right there. Picked up a preban Oly Stop Sign full rifle from EE. On its way to me right now. I'd like to mate the preban lower to an RRA tactical CAR upper half.
Then I'll take the remaining parts and build a post ban gun off that to sell...or keep.

I'll get two guns...for the price of two guns...hink
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top