Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2009 4:52:47 PM EDT
Looking to upgrade my handguards. Bought a UTG (yea yea I know...shame on me) and realized it sucks. I'm looking for an upgrade that isn't going to break the bank and was looking at YHM's or Midwest industries. Both are around $125-150. Anybody wanna comment on either of these?
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a question, sorry no help
I've been wanting to throw the DD Omega 7.0 on mine but it's over $250 at most places. A few others look good too, I was thinking Spikes as well as Midwest.
They are all roughly in the same price range.
Why is UTG so cheap, and why do you say they suck?>
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 5:13:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a question, sorry no help
I've been wanting to throw the DD Omega 7.0 on mine but it's over $250 at most places. A few others look good too, I was thinking Spikes as well as Midwest.
They are all roughly in the same price range.
Why is UTG so cheap, and why do you say they suck?>

Its heavy and I don't like the way it attaches. The hanguards sit around the plate next to the FSB, not inside like other handguards. Didn't notice it until I cranked down the screws that it was bending/crushing the plate. Now the screws don't seem to tighten enough and I'm afraid I'm just going to make the plate worse.
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I have no experience with either, but MI seems to get a lot of great reviews. If you're set on an Omega rail, they're often found in the EE for $200
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 1:47:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the MI and I like it a lot. Not as solid as a free float, of course, but not as expensive either.
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 3:33:48 AM EDT
[#5]
i have these MI 4 rail hg's on my colt and unless you need a free float rail, it works just fine.  (plus is a little more affordable)

Link Posted: 7/24/2009 3:49:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I have both. I have the carbine extended MI rail which works great and is pretty solid and I have a set of YHM Specter length FF on another Carbine. Both fit and function very well. M4quadrail The MI rails are a little heavy but are extremely durable and I don't worry about hitting things with them!
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 4:18:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the MI carbine length HG on mine and I have no complaints yet.
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 4:19:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I have YHM on 6 different ARs. In all configurations from the Mini to the Rifle length. Never a problem with any of them and they are rock solid.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 7:55:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a YHM Diamond pattern and it is rock solid and very light!!
YHM makes some great stuff for the money
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:48:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the MI #17 & have no complaints. No experience with YHM rails.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top