Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 9/8/2009 11:01:03 PM EST
I want to add a rail to the DD Barreled 16" upper I got from PK. It is a M4 setup. Should I go with YHM or MI or another manufacturer? The main reasons I want a rail is to mount a side sling, mount a light and aesthetics. I am not looking for free float unless someone can convince me that is the only way to go. Right now I have the DD upper from PK with the F stamped front site and a Magpul MBUS rear sight. The stock is a RRA Operator. I will be in the market for an Aimpoint after I decide on the rail and save up some $$$$.

So what reasonably priced front rail would you recommend? Sorry but the DD Omega Rail is nice but I would rather spend that money on ammo. I am looking at $150 or so..............

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 2:17:10 AM EST
Originally Posted By orion251:
I want to add a rail to the DD Barreled 16" upper I got from PK. It is a M4 setup. Should I go with YHM or MI or another manufacturer? The main reasons I want a rail is to mount a side sling, mount a light and aesthetics. I am not looking for free float unless someone can convince me that is the only way to go. Right now I have the DD upper from PK with the F stamped front site and a Magpul MBUS rear sight. The stock is a RRA Operator. I will be in the market for an Aimpoint after I decide on the rail and save up some $$$$.

So what reasonably priced front rail would you recommend? Sorry but the DD Omega Rail is nice but I would rather spend that money on ammo. I am looking at $150 or so..............

I just installed a YHM Quad rail on my mid length. It's nice and tight. No T marks, though. Also, you'll need ladder or some other type of rails as it's quite "knobby" and cheese grates your hands...

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 4:27:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/9/2009 4:27:45 PM EST by dirtbikesandguns]
YHM Diamond Cut Free Float $120
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:52:09 PM EST
Originally Posted By dirtbikesandguns:
YHM Diamond Cut Free Float $120
http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv276/ridektm68/100_1416.jpg

As I said, I am NOT looking for a free float...................
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:03:18 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/17/2009 4:05:55 AM EST by wahoo95]
If you watch the EE on a daily basis you will come across a DD Omega Rail for around $215 or less......I've found 3 over the past year and sold a couple as well at that price. That extra $65 aint gonna buy you much ammo nor cover the cost of a training class, so just spend a few extra dollars for a top quality rail which you will be happier with in the end. You'll have a better built rail which is MUCH lighter and more ergonomic than the other two options which are wide and heavy.

Another option would be checking the EE for a nice used KAC RAS which I rountinely see for around $180 or so.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:48:16 AM EST
I have the YHM lightweight 4 rail on my 16" middy and I'm very happy with it. I would have gotten a lightweight barrel if I knew better... that thing is HEAVY!
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:05:14 AM EST
I like the MI two piece rails. Good quality for the price. I have no experience with the YHM gear.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:19:57 AM EST
Originally Posted By warpig8654:
I like the MI two piece rails. Good quality for the price. I have no experience with the YHM gear.

Same here .. have had the two piece and FF MI rails no issues .. no YHM exp.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 11:49:39 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/18/2009 11:50:29 AM EST by HK-USP]
I tried the YHM 2 piece on 2 rifles and they would not fit. I went with the DD Omega. I would go with the MI. YHM free float handguards are nice. Have them on 2 other rifles.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:54:45 PM EST
I have two rails on different rifles. I have the YHM lightweight FF on my 20" rifle, and a Surefire 7" on my sole 5.56 carbine. They both work, no complaints.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 2:58:22 PM EST
Picked up a MI off the EE. Should have it next week. Thanks for the input............
Top Top