Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2008 3:57:25 PM EDT
Wasn't sure whether to put this in Builds, Mounts&Optics, or here.  Here won.

I'm looking at the YHM-5000 two-piece carbine length handguards for my M4, with the idea of mounting an EER scope I already own on them.  I've read that YHM's quality is pretty good in general, but I'm wondering if this method of mounting is going to give me anywhere near a reliable, repeatable zero.  

Do these replacements for the standard guards provide a solid mount, or do they still move around like the stock units?  Are they still just held in place by the spring collar?

-- Sam
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 4:09:10 PM EDT
You don't want to mount any optic or rail mounted buis on a 2 piece hand guard. Only exception would be a 2 piece free float like Midwest Industries makes.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 4:27:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2008 4:29:42 PM EDT by USMC223]
Although it is not the most ideal set up it does a great job of staying put. It has cut outs that lock it to the barrel nut and it fits tight up front. I ran mine with an EoTech during a couple of coyote hunts and it held up just fine. It spent quite a few miles on a four wheeler and was hiked around some thick woods and held it's own.  
If it was goint to be used heavily I would without a doubt go with a free float set up.
I live in a ban state (the muzzle device is is pinned) so I went with a two piece. I know there are a few free float set ups that can be used in this scenario but I was not looking to dump a lot of money at the time. My two cents and a pic!

Link Posted: 9/6/2008 5:12:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 7:35:34 AM EDT
I've had the YHM hand guards on a few of my AR's. They did a good job and I did not regret buying them.
Top Top